Staff member
Slantember 2021
20210910_150424_2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Last edited:
Slantember 2021 SOTD
SOTD-FOCS-GT-B_2021-09-10.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/48 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Bignoli Neutro [no fragrance]
Razor: FOCS GT
Blade: Personna Red (3)
ASL: Chocolate Orange [home brew]

A super shave. :biggrin:

On opening my new Bignoli Neutro today, and sniffing, I could smell absolutely nothing... excellent! I immediately repotted it in a deeper tub ready for this evening's shave.
Come shave time and warm water... there was just a hint of that "baby sick" aroma (that I so love :001_rolle). I forgot about it during the shave so it couldn't have been that strong.
Albeit totally against my religion, I've left the lid off the soap tub to see if some air will kill that little bit of despised aroma.

A couple of hours post-shave now, all I can smell is my all time favorite ASL (Chocolate Orange). Excellent... except those were the last drops I squeezed out of the bottle. It looks like I'll have to get my amateur perfumer's kit out tomorrow and make some more.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
RazoRock Wunderbar + Alpha Shaving Viper '95 handle + RazoRock stainless steel stand
I mostly use Gillette Nacet and BIC Chrome Platinum. My usual soap is Cella Red (almond scent) paired with Old Spice Swagger

Background for the image is a blue yoga block. :biggrin1:

The Wunderbar is my only stainless steel slant, and it is one of my favorite razors. It's efficiency is alsmost unmatched not only among slants! Exclamation mark, for emphasis. I have to use the R41 to get a similar glassy shave, but it is not nearly as comfortable or save as the Wunderbar.

It is also very smooth. The only real problem with it? It is either smooth, doesn't shave or it outright takes away a whole piece of chin, with pain only felt later due to lack of feedback, be it audible or tactile.

The Wunderbar is said to have the most bladefeel of any slant. I don't agree to that assessment.
It has some blade feel but in general a lack of tactile and audible feedback, so finding and removing spots if there is something left is more a visual and by hand thing, I don't get much tactile feedback from the blade itself, except when going ATG.

The Viper handle is also available as "Elegant" handle for the Outlaw razor on Executive Shaving in the UK, not only from Alpha Shaving. The only difference is the engraving on the very bottom of the razor handle.

It is a very grippy yet still highly polished handle. I found it grippier than the RazoRock titanium handle, usually I use the RazoRock Super Knurl handle, but this one simply fits the looks better. I also appreciate the 95mm length. Diameter of the handle is 13mm, it fits nicely in ~14mm stands. The Alpha Shaving stand is a bit less high and rounded, but that one is already occupied by the Outlaw with the Alpha Bravo handle.

I would finish with a pro-slant statement: Try a slant. They are not difficult or aggressive, just different. I can only speak for the Wunderbar, but the result is fantastic!
yogablocwunderbar.jpg

I finally get to play!
IMG_20210911_090652.jpg

The Fatip lo Storto Gentile arrived yesterday afternoon. I sold my other slants years ago, (German 37, maggard's slant, Phoenix Bakelite open comb slant.) All three used to bite, but, so did the piccolo which also went away. So I was on the fence about the FOCS and the Gentile out the gate despite all the positive buzz.

Today my fears were put to rest. I loaded my Polsilver stainless blade in for it's 11th shave. First pass I started cautious. Feeling my face after WTG I felt a lot of stubble so for subsequent passes I just went on autopilot at my normal steep angle. XTG and ATG as well as touch ups, I zipped through and came as close to BBS as I ever get comfortably. No nicks, no irritation, just a close comfortable shave. 9.8/10 great. This razor is a champ and it pairs well with the Polsilver. Glad I took the chance, and I'm glad I got the closed comb.

20210911_114645-01.jpeg
SOTD #230/2021
11-09-2021

>> Stirling Soaptember<<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Gin & Tonic
Razor: FOCS vs. ATT S2, attached on RR HD handle
Blade: 2x Wilkinson Sword Germany (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Gin & Tonic AS.

Let's start with the results:
After three passes with the two razors, the left side of my face felt smoother, I could tell a significant difference. I also noticed a slight irritation on the right side of my face and worse on my neck.

This is surprising because shaving the right side of my face felt much smoother than the shave I had with the other razor on the left side of my face (the razor on the left provided responsive blade feedback). Perhaps I was a bit sloppy due to the lack of blade feel whilst shaving my right side.

Either way, the left side of my face came out on top this afternoon in terms of shaving accuracy and skin irritation (which was almost imperceptible on my left side of my face).

Today's winner was.... drum roll... ATT S2.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
Mercury in the ascendant

The tanuki gathered around at the sudden apparition of a Merkur Super Slant (!!!); and to witness a very German shave. One Tanuki in particular was agog, agitated, and perhaps a bit anxious. He loaded a peaceable Astra SP (5).
B1CAD0DB-261F-49F9-ACAA-6BFCD17E225E.jpeg

Prep was extensive, featuring Mama Bear's Juniper. It lasted well over the prescribed three minutes.

Through iron discipline, after hard won experience, Tabac was applied sparingly. There was still enough lather for three passes plus neck maelstrom cleanup. The German boar was up to the face lathering task, but was not particularly distinguished.

Afterwards there would be alum, witch hazel, adidas Dynamic Pulse (who names this stuff?), and the distant prospect of an evening stein.

First impressions: The shave was not aggressive, perhaps slightly milder (remember, used Astra) than I would expect from my vintage 37 or my G37. The acoustics were more useful in finding the angle than was any blade feel.

The need for a third pass was more a result of 'first use' uncertainties than any inefficiency. I got surprisingly good results from the MSS on the small amount of elementary edging I require these days.

Next time? Probably a used Feather. September slant shave science! For progress!

SLANTember 11

I'm still breaking in my Yaqi Moka Express badger, lathering today with Razorock Line Burst. The business end of the shave was executed with a Shark Super Stainless (favorite blade) in my Razorock German Slant. Finished with watch hazel and CeraVe.

Maybe it's still the honeymoon phase, but I'm still really impressed with the Yaqi brush. It's giving me a real appreciation for badger brushes.

2021-09-11 18.49.33.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
215288FB-A486-4E68-9648-5BDBB84B951C.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapMurphy and McNeil Barbershop de los Muertos 2, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBGB Fallen Silver tip Badger Fan, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorRazoRock German 37 Slant, Canada 🇨🇦
BladeAstra SS, Russia 🇷🇺
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 Proraso Balm Italy 🇮🇹
FragranceMurphy and McNeil Barbershop de los Muertos 2, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8.5/10

Wunderbar + Treet Platinum(1). It was a big step up in comfort, the edge was taken out from bladefeel. At the expense of efficiency: considerably more stubble left after the 1st pass. There wasn't any pulling though, so in the end after a bit more buffing and a cleanup pass(2.5 passes altogether) the end result is similar to what I got with sharper blades. Post shave irritation is vastly reduced, but not completely gone.

Top Bottom