Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 4 | 2021

Astra Superior Stainless (42)
Fassan Double Slant
Yaqi 24 mm Silvertip
Cella Bio Soap
Cella Bio balm
P1130560.JPG

Closing out Slantember 2021
(there will be some final stats after the 30th day is done)

Today's shave was concocted to touch some bases from my 4 decades+ of slant shaving.
>Wunderbar head (my fave) on a short/skinny chrome over brass Merkur handle (ala my lost original slant, the Merkur 36)
>Kai (24) A blade discovered through B&B, this particular blade from a generous PIF. It was used many more times than it would have been, thanks to Excalibur Exposure.
>Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros - luxury scent! Back beyond it was all Williams Mug
>Every-Ready 100 (means $1.00), a classic workhorse red and white cheap drugstore banded boar, similar to what I bought at age 17 and kept in my mug until age 40.
>Captain's Choice Bay Rum - straightforward and top quality, big contrast to VIBR.
264B1AB4-008D-4F93-969A-BD8149DF68AD.jpeg

I'll have more to say in my final Slantember summary while wearing my data analyst hat.

Here and now I want to thank @Chan Eil Whiskers for making Slantember a thing for me, and for kicking off this fourth edition. Fun!!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I didn't see anyone else posting on B&B about the Filament.

I'm gonna guess that's because the whole "Monster" series is basically the same razor in different colours.

Edit: I was wrong. Sorry; disregard.

O.H.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess that's because the whole "Monster" series is basically the same razor in different colours.

O.H.

Read the 'Fakelite' Filament description closely (yeah, Doug at PAA does go on...). It is no monster and is based on a Fasan Twist. It is also compared (obscurely) to the PBOCS.

SLANTember 30

2021-09-30 18.28.06.jpg

I only have 2 slants. Today, I went with the Fatip Open Comb Slant with my favorite blade, Shark Super Stainless. For the soap, another favorite, ARKO. And the brush, my relatively new Yaqi Moka Express badger. I probably should have rubbed more soap on my face - the lather was a bit thin, and I managed to draw a bit of blood near my Adams apple. Otherwise, a good shave.

Today is the last day of SLANTember, and tomorrow the first day of OCtober which means a greater variety of razors open to me.

Slantember 2021 SOTD
SOTD-FSGT-G_2021-09-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: [The now discontinued] Fine Aluminum Slant GT
Blade: Personna Red (3)
ASL: Orange Freeze [home brew]

A fine shave. :biggrin:
The Fine Aluminum Slant is definitely a fine razor; I'm sure glad that I have one. :yesnod:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Closing out Slantember 2021
(there will be some final stats after the 30th day is done)

Today's shave was concocted to touch some bases from my 4 decades+ of slant shaving.
>Wunderbar head (my fave) on a short/skinny chrome over brass Merkur handle (ala my lost original slant, the Merkur 36)
>Kai (24) A blade discovered through B&B, this particular blade from a generous PIF. It was used many more times than it would have been, thanks to Excalibur Exposure.
>Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros - luxury scent! Back beyond it was all Williams Mug
>Every-Ready 100 (means $1.00), a classic workhorse red and white cheap drugstore banded boar, similar to what I bought at age 17 and kept in my mug until age 40.
>Captain's Choice Bay Rum - straightforward and top quality, big contrast to VIBR.
View attachment 1337347
I'll have more to say in my final Slantember summary while wearing my data analyst hat.

Here and now I want to thank @Chan Eil Whiskers for making Slantember a thing for me, and for kicking off this fourth edition. Fun!!

My pleasure. It's all made good thanks to everyone's active participation and photos.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ok a personal summary of the past month of slanted shaving.

I used 4 razors for the past month:
Razorock Wunderbar (10 shaves)
Fatip Lo Storto Gold (8 shaves)
PAA El Fantasma (6 shaves)
Razorock German 37 (6 shaves)

Some thoughts on the 4 slants I used the past month.

The Wunderbar is a very smooth and efficient shaver. With a light touch and patience it really delivers a phenomenal shave.

The PAA El Fantasma is for me a very enjoyable shave. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. I’ve made it my regular travel razor because of its light weight and reliability.

The FOCS is a justly loved mild shaver. To me it is a similar shave to the PAA Monster Double Slant with some added weight to make a little easier to master. I don’t get the best ATG pass with this razor, but as always I usually put that up to my own lack of technique.

The Razorock German 37 is the newest razor in this group for me. I was quickly getting a close shave with this razor, the geometry of the head made finding a comfortable shaving angle very easy. Using this several days in a row I found my face feeling a bit “over-shaved”, but the feeling was fleeting.

A great month of shaves. Thanks to all who participated and organized it!

61 participants, 573 posts, 396 slant uses, 11,000 views

about 50 different razors wielded by 48 shavers

277 photos posted by 37 participants
I'm awarding special graphic design recognition to @Lefonque

the marathoners (shave counts)
@alin
@EMG06
@hopper_64
@InkStainedWretch
@Invicta **
@NCGent **
@Tanuki

middle distance
@bigbrucefan
@Chard52142
@Lefonque

One and done - about 14 shavers

Popular razors by post count
100 FOCS (plus 8 Fatip Lo Storto Gentile)
56 Merkur 37 (C, G, vintage)
48 Wunderbar
40 RR German 37
17 iKon X3
17 Yaqi
15 PAA monster double slant
14 Parker SemiSlant
10 Maggard

A to Z in rarities, from Archdale to Zieglar, about 20 in total used 33 times

Blades were reported about 350 times
57 Astra SP
45 Astra SS (including Excalibur!)
22 7 O'Clock Yellow
19 Personna Red
18 PolSilver SS !!
15 Nacet
14 GSB
14 Shark SS
13 Wizamet

Beyond the shave posts there were reviews, side-by-side comparisons, technical discussions, history, Q&A and banter.

My personal appreciation goes out to every participant, with my special kudos to @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Clouds

@alin
@EMG06
@hopper_64
@InkStainedWretch
@Invicta **
@NCGent **
@Tanuki

middle distance
@bigbrucefan
@Chard52142
@Lefonque

48 Wunderbar
40 RR German 37
17 iKon X3
17 Yaqi
14 Parker SemiSlant
10 Maggard

57 Astra SP
22 7 O'Clock Yellow
19 Personna Red
18 PolSilver SS !!
15 Nacet
14 GSB
14 Shark SS
13 Wizamet

Beyond the shave posts there were reviews, side-by-side comparisons, technical discussions, history, Q&A and banter.

My personal appreciation goes out to every participant, with my special kudos to @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Clouds
Great summary, thx!

The count of views is a cool feature - where may I find such information?

The count of views is a cool feature - where may I find such information?

It is in the thread info in any thread list. You can see a thread list on the forum page, in your 'Watched threads' or maybe in the similar threads feature that has just appeared. Looks like:

Replies: 94
Views: 2K

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Roughly in the order in which they were used this month:

ATT X1
RR Wunderbar
PAA El Fantasma
Fasan Double Slant
iKon Shavecraft 102
Merkur "Super Slant" SB
ATT S2
FOCS

I spent most of this year so far doing slant reviews; buying slants, trading slants, piffing slants. So I decided that SLANTember this year would be a wander through the pile to revisit some of my favourites. I split my time with SEptember and only shave three times a week in any event so I won't ever be one of the "frequent flyers."

As I look at that list I see that I've got some nice efficient slants in the Lather Pit! I've got more than that -- I had originally scheduled the RazoRock Stainless Stealth Slant V3 for the day that ended up going to the Merkur "Super Slant" (about which, more soon...). I also see that I used neither my vintage Merkur 37 or the RazoRock German 37. All three are excellent razors but there's only so many days in the month.

My other observation this month was that having to deep-clean and put away a razor after using it just once kinda nags at me. I tend to use a razor for the time that one blade gives good shave with it. Usually that's about two weeks or about 6 shaves for DE and Gem blades, a little longer for AC blades; maybe 9 or 10.

My sincere thanks to @Tanuki for keeping track and for being such a fine gentleman in the best tradition of B&B. I have huge respect for the guys with one slant who show up every day and post that shave. I also have huge respect for the guys who show off some incredible vintage gear, and for those who have the chops to take on some of the most aggressive razors you'll find anywhere. Even as a niche of wet-shaving, slants can be a "big tent" and we have lots of room for everyone.

This year's festivities, intended to be a nice wander down Memory Lane, were given an added shot of adrenaline when the Merkur "Super Slant" suddenly became possible for me. I've already learned many valuable lessons from that razor. Weird experience to be holding a razor that is so little documented that even the company that made it doesn't know they did so. Gradually some things are coming more clear about it.

Well, time to turn my attention to OCtober. My antidote to the bother of changing razors every time has led me to consider using the S2 for all of this month. I mean, why not? It's an OC, it's a slant, and it's my favourite razor.

What could possibly go wrong?:popc:

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

@alin
@EMG06
@hopper_64
@InkStainedWretch
@Invicta **
@NCGent **
@Tanuki

middle distance
@bigbrucefan
@Chard52142
@Lefonque

48 Wunderbar
40 RR German 37
17 iKon X3
17 Yaqi
14 Parker SemiSlant
10 Maggard

57 Astra SP
22 7 O'Clock Yellow
19 Personna Red
18 PolSilver SS !!
15 Nacet
14 GSB
14 Shark SS
13 Wizamet

Great job of it.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you to everyone involved. I didn’t post more often because my results with the FOCS never varies. Always a solid 8 regardless of blade, soap, or brush. I didn’t want to bore all of you with 8, 8,8,8. For the whole month.

Top Bottom