What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 3 | 2020

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good ol' vintage Merkur 37 and a fresh Tatra blade

full

I’ve been really busy the last couple of weeks and haven’t really had time to post.

For the numbers, I’ve missed 3 shaves all month. I’ve had a 2 day shave with the Gentile, Parker SSL and then today with the FOCS.

It had been a month since I last used the FOCS and today was my best shave in about a month. I really don’t know why I use anything else.

I’ve already changed my rotation and started OCtober and TABACtober. I’m looking forward to a month of excellent shaved and finishing it SLANTember with this combo.

proxy.php

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Fiend

Slantember SOTD
SOTD-FS-K_2020-09-27.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Gillette Blue (7)
ASL: Reuzel

Back with some old friends today resulting in (surprise) an excellent shave! :cornut:

I've enjoyed the Fine Snake Bite chilling fun, but I think that'll be just occasional use for me. I love the (albeit faint) marzipan scent of good ol' Vitos Red, and the apple/lard scent of Reuzel is really nice to finish off with. Of course, different noses will detect different scents to mine. Ain't we a strange bunch? :crazy:

Happy shaves all y'all. :biggrin:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Slantember SOTD
SOTD-FS-K_2020-09-27.jpg

Back with some old friends today resulting in (surprise) an excellent shave! :cornut:

I've enjoyed the Fine Snake Bite chilling fun, but I think that'll be just occasional use for me. I love the (albeit faint) marzipan scent of good ol' Vitos Red, and the apple/lard scent of Reuzel is really nice to finish off with. Of course, different noses will detect different scents to mine. Ain't we a strange bunch? :crazy:

That's a splash new to me. Sounds interesting.

My Vitos Red has no marzipan scent 'cause I leave the pieces sitting out in the air to get rid of the scent before putting them into my container for use. All I can smell is a little bit of a faint coconut scent (hardly there at all it's so faint) and maybe a slight soap scent. The chemical smelling almond marzipan scent is not to my liking, but it's not hard to get rid of. Takes about a week to air it out and get rid of it.

That said, the soap is, as Cal already knows, my daily soap. I have a slew of soaps and rarely use anything but Vitos Red. Great soap. Also very inexpensive, but that's not why I use it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slantember SOTD
SOTD-FS-K_2020-09-27.jpg

I was comparing the ATT S1 for sale in the BST to your Fine and the Wunderbar (and the 🦊 for that matter) and it just does not seem to twist the blade nearly as much. By all accounts it is a good shaver but the difference is interesting.

Slantember 27 - with side-by-side shave off

PBOCS / Gillette Platinum
versus
slantified silver Tuckaway / Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge

Prep: shower
Soap: brick Cella laced with a little dried up TOBS Sandalwood I'm trying to get out of my sample bowl
Brush: Semogue cherry SOC boar - today's shocking revelation! The cherry SOC has a wider handle and an approximately 1.5mm wider knot than the ash handled SOC boar I bought at the same time!
After: alum, Richard's Rub, AV Osage 3:1

AA63F61F-F724-4147-A7A7-A8D961F0DC90.jpeg

No blood, no irritation, no palpable stubble. The PBOCS is the closest thing I own to a devette. Lots of blade reveal. The sTuckaway has a similar gap, less reveal and probably less exposure. PBOCS: dangerously close. sTuckaway: close enough, much safer (and credit once again to Rosseforp for a superb handle).

I was comparing the ATT S1 for sale in the BST to your Fine and the Wunderbar (and the 🦊 for that matter) and it just does not seem to twist the blade nearly as much. By all accounts it is a good shaver but the difference is interesting.

The ATT slants have an entirely new design, not cloned from slants of the past. The slant is created by a planar surface, not a curved surface.

Razor: FOCS
Blade: Nacet(3)
Brush: Proraso professional
Soap: Stirling sandpiper
Aftershave: Stirling sandpiper

I think I tried the nacet before once and wrote it off as too sharp, but they are really nice. Sharp and smooth once they are past the 1st couple of shaves.

Slantember shave #26
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: cold water rinse

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Rating: 10/10

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The ATT slants have an entirely new design, not cloned from slants of the past. The slant is created by a planar surface, not a curved surface.

I have the ATT S2 Slant, and like it. It is an entirely different design from what I can tell (which isn't much). It looks different from my few other slants. That doesn't mean I have a clue what a slant created by a planar surface rather than a curved surface means.

I've read other explanations of the ways a slant can be created. If I understood what I read there are two ways of doing it + (I think) the way ATT did it. However, that is not me saying I understand what goes into making a slant a slant and torquing the blade. There's probably a slant engineering thread or there should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

20th shavewithaslant:

Razor: RR German 37 (with an assist from the GC .84)
Blade: 7 O'clock Yellow
Brush: Zenith manchurian
Lather: Proraso green
I've missed this thread for almost a week!
Wed 9/23= RR German 37 w/Dead Sea soap (21)
Thurs 9/24= Same!(22)
Fri 9/25 = Still the same! (23)
Sat = no shave
Sun 9/27 = RR German 37 w/ Barrister Reserve classic soap (24)

All shaves this week with a 7 o'clock yellow, Zenith manchurian, and an assist from the Game Changer .84.

DB9E6295-0FFE-4AA1-A429-E352BC675790.jpeg

Last time this month for the iKon.

Razor: iKon X3 on 85mm matte bulldog handle
Blade: Brazil Wilkinson Sword (2)
Brush: EJ medium BBB
Cream: Gillette Pure
After: Captains Choice Sandalwood

Razor very well behaved today mowing 36 hours of stubble. Easy BBS with no blade feel and very quiet operation. Almost no feedback from the AS, which considering the stuff is straight alcohol, is saying something. This is a razor I’d use if I wanted no chance of cutting myself, because it feels impossible. I might give it a break next month to use my forgotten non-slants but it’s a keeper for now.

I have the ATT S2 Slant, and like it. It is an entirely different design from what I can tell (which isn't much). It looks different from my few other slants. That doesn't mean I have a clue what a slant created by a planar surface rather than a curved surface means.

I've read other explanations of the ways a slant can be created. If I understood what I read there are two ways of doing it + (I think) the way ATT did it. However, that is not me saying I understand what goes into making a slant a slant and torquing the blade. There's probably a slant engineering thread or there should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, how does it compare to the FOCS for you?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah. I just shaved with the PAA Ecliptic Galactic Bakelite ... shaved carefully.

Used alum on weepers.

Used menthol AS.

Used soothing balm.

Put PAA Ecliptic Galactic Bakelite back in box ... may skip shaving tomorrow.

AA :innocent:

Since this is also SEptember, I couldn't resist bringing out the Vector. Maybe there will be an OC version for OCtober. This razor just keeps getting better every time I use it.

Is loaded with a Schick Proline.

SEtember 28.jpg

Top Bottom