FOCS

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: September 4, 2020/SLANTember 1st
Razor: Merkur 37
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Soap: OH Puck!

IMG_0368.JPG

Well, you can tell I'm a non-conformist because I use the same razor as all the other non-conformists on here.

I'm both amused and pleased that just about anyone who uses slants for long has at least one Merkur, Hoffritz, Pomco or Coles razor in their Shave Cave. So here's mine! A vintage Merkur 37 in a travel case which is not shown. According to my source at Merkur this razor is "pre-1970" which is as close as they can get with essentially non-existent records. Helps to remember they're about selling NEW razors, not researching old ones.

What I've gathered is that they probably retooled right after the war, banged out razors until things got worn again in about 25 years, then retooled again in 1970 and that was when they redesigned the 37 to have a scalloped cap. They've retooled yet again since then, and considering the passage of time may actually be considering their next retooling.

Like just about everybody and their dog I find the Merkur 37 to be calm, cool, and collected. A thoroughly competent razor. I still have almost zero irritation with it, even on this shave. My previous shave was with the RazoRock Wunderbar and that was Monday -- took me four days to grow enough hair to shave again! The Merkur isn't that efficient, which I think is a good thing. I get to shave about twice as often with the Merkur.

Sometime today the UPS guy will mush his huskies up the North Thompson valley and crawl up the side of the Jamieson Range to our little farm perched above the river. He'll probably need a shot of oxygen from the welding tank and maybe a shot of Lot 40 to steady him down, but if he makes it up here he'll have my new RazoRock German 37. I'm hoping to use that on Monday.

O.H.

IMG_0495.jpeg

Razor: PAA Bakelite Open Comb Slant
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus (1985 NOS) (1)
Brush: Made Rite handle, Shave Forge 20mm finest badger knot
Cream: Proraso Red
AS: Captains Choice Sandalwood

Second time using this knot in this handle. It's a little pricklier than some but not bad. Good backbone. Proraso red is Proraso red. I had a nice lather.

I am BBS but razor and blade were not at all a good combination. I'm mostly blaming the blade. I've had a couple of blades out of this pack that unaccountably just did not take hair down at the expected speed, leading to extra passes and enough irritation under the chin that I felt compelled to bring out the alum block. This appears to be another. The very light razor didn't help the cause any; without applying any pressure the whole thing just skated over my whiskers. The two are being separated and Slantember will continue with something else in that razor on Sunday. I haven't used the razor in awhile; as I look over my notes I see I haven't necessarily had a lot of luck with it so if it doesn't improve it's going down the road with the iKon.

Captains Choice Sandalwood smells really, really good. Hurt like hell going on today though.

Slantember 4

Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar, Tibam Ti 12x75mm handle
Blade: Feather (4)
Lather: Lea stick, Solid Set boar re-knot
736FF6D4-3076-4E6C-8FFB-DD714C6B6AB9.jpeg

First use of the Lea stick. It is no Arko. It is not even on the rung below with RazoRock, Derby or Palmolive sticks. And I love my tube of Lea Mentolada cream.

As for the Feather, I often give them only 2 or 3 shaves. This Feather was holding the Wunderbar back, so 4 was too much to expect, especially with a low performance lather.

SLANTember shave 5:

37c
Astra SP (6)
Shave forge boar knot in a wood handle
Cella extra extra bio
G12

Awesome soap, awesome lather, awesome shave. Even if it was a fast one due to getting a call about a Charlie Foxtrot at work and needing to get ready to go in.

I could’ve shaved two days 6 passes each with the lather made by the time I got done.

proxy.php

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

Friday September 4
Ten minute hot shower
Lo Storto
Nacet (2)
Zenith Horse Hair 28mmx51
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Attempting my ATG single pass shave did not work last week on a seven day growth. Too many whiskers in the way. Now back to my usual 120 hrs. Today’s face & head one pass shave was comfortable and 90% DFS+. I got a better look at the Nacet with my regular shave rotation. It is a smooth comfortable blade for me. It is not quite as smooth as the Bic Platinum and I would rate the sharpness about the same. For me both these blades will give me one possible BBS and a DFS+ on a second face & head shave. Their sharpness after that requires too much buffing to stay in the DFS+ range for me. Lo Storto is loaded with a Gillette 7 O’clock Super Platinum for next shave.
The Zenith Horse Hair is a comfortable brush with it’s own kind of scrub. The large aluminum handle is a nice weight with good control. The brush tips continue to wear in nicely. They do not split like boar hair. Vitos soap is an absolute pleasure to use. Lo Storto my number one, continues to deliver excellent shaves with good comfort. My first Slantember shave very nice.

Attachments

• 5862CD87-1AA0-46F9-8EF1-4CC68FFD1760.jpeg
    5862CD87-1AA0-46F9-8EF1-4CC68FFD1760.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 9
SLANTember shave 5:

37c
Astra SP (6)
Shave forge boar knot in a wood handle
Cella extra extra bio
G12

Awesome soap, awesome lather, awesome shave. Even if it was a fast one due to getting a call about a Charlie Foxtrot at work and needing to get ready to go in.

I could’ve shaved two days 6 passes each with the lather made by the time I got done.

proxy.php

Obviously I don’t know what day it is. [emoji15][emoji2357]

Three days into Slantember 2020 and the thing that jumps out at me is that RR German 37 razors are far more prevalent this year than last. They are currently in the lead with 11 shaves (FOCS is a close 2nd at 10 shaves). This same time period last year, we only had 2 (yes, T-W-O) shaves with a German 37.

Oh and we are crushing last year's participation. So far (in the first 3 days of the month) we have 31 shavers having done 50 shaves. Same time period in 2019: 13 shavers having done 22 shaves.

Let's keep those shaves coming!!!

Damn. Are people shaving twice a day? [emoji15]

Slantember shave #3
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Alum Block

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very low alum sting.
Very close and pleasant shave.

Rating: 9.8/10

RR German 37 slant + HD handle
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Omega 49 pro boar brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Speick shaving soap in dish
Dickinson's witch hazel
Speick splash

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Sorry I can't join in the FOCS-ication this year, being on sabbatical. I'm with you in Spirit, though.

Top Bottom