What's new

Slantember 2019 (Used to be September) Is For Slants!

I personally prefer aggressive blades in my “aggressive” razors. Like feathers in my German37.

Now based on your feedback it really sounds like the wunderbar is worth the hype. I think I need to start putting a couple bucks away to pick this razor up.
I’m not sure I have the technique or the “boulders” for doing aggressive razor and the sharpest blades. This is why I may do the Feathers last.

Merkur 37C + Feather Hi-Stainless (1) blade #1
1st shave this blade. One leaker on left side of the neck. No irritation. Aqua Velva says maybe later. BBS in 3 passes + touch ups. I was really surprised how much touch up was needed.

Last time I used Feathers, it was a complete disaster so technique must be getting better.

Merkur 37C + Feather Hi-Stainless (1) blade #1
1st shave this blade. One leaker on left side of the neck. No irritation. Aqua Velva says maybe later. BBS in 3 passes + touch ups. I was really surprised how much touch up was needed.

Last time I used Feathers, it was a complete disaster so technique must be getting better.

Yay for technique! Feathers aren’t for everyone either so it’s not like you have to use them, ya know? I used to think I had “sensitive” skin so I was worried about using feathers, but my beard hair is like wire and once I put a feather in, it’s one of my regular use blades.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
9/14 Coles travel head on a Weber handle, Perma-Sharp Super blade
Plate loss and corrosion only add to the charm of this grand shaver!
full

Yay for technique! Feathers aren’t for everyone either so it’s not like you have to use them, ya know? I used to think I had “sensitive” skin so I was worried about using feathers, but my beard hair is like wire and once I put a feather in, it’s one of my regular use blades.
My hair is like wire and grows it seems in circles. My skin is fickle and won’t tolerate great soaps that soften the whiskers. Then my mind wants a billiard ball smooth shave and places a priority on it. If what I have been reading is true, the Feather blade should lose sharpness and smoothness with each shave/pass. It will be interesting to see where this combo goes. In keeping with SlantOber, I will continue with the 37C.:001_smile

Slantember 14, 2019 - German and Swede Terror
upload_2019-9-14_13-10-3.jpeg

Razorock German 37 with Gillette “new Swedes” platinum blade.

Overall not a bad shave. I could’ve gotten a better lather this morning, but this slant with my new platinums was overall a nice combo.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-14_13-8-46.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-14_13-8-46.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Well, it must be RR German 37 day! I used my German 37 for today's shave and it did not disappoint. I used a fresh Nacet and I was left wondering what took me so long to buy and try the blade. I used GSB for the first time earlier this month when I resurrected my RR Wunderbar. I also recently bought some Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (yellow) blades for the first time and plan to use them next week in my PAA BOCS. This is turning out to be a great month! By the way... today is exactly two years since I purchased my first DE razor and it's been a great ride!
Fantastic!
How do you like the Wunderbar compared to the German37?

Fantastic!
How do you like the Wunderbar compared to the German37?
It took me a while to get to the point where I felt comfortable using the Wunderbar daily, but I'm glad I finally got there. I was somewhat intimidated early on, but I now know that was due to my inexperience rather than the razor. The Wunderbar is a well-built tool using quality materials. It's awesome.

The German 37 was great from day one. No adjustment period was required. I was a little wary because of the reviews of slants at the time of purchase, but those fears were unwarranted. The razor just delivers. I pretty much find myself on auto-pilot when I use it and it has yet to bite me. If were stainless steel, it might be my only slant. I bought just the head for because I already had a spare handle to use with it. I still consider it the best razor I have for the price I paid.

If I had it to do over again (i only have two years of DE experience), I would buy the German 37 with the HD handle, a synthetic brush (even though I have several boar brushes), some Arko or Proraso, and some quality blades. I would then have spent the last two years working on my technique and coming to the realization that I have all I need to achieve quality shaves for life. But then I would have missed out on all the fun provided by the variety of products I've been lucky enough to enjoy the last 24 months. I hope I answered your question.

Shave of the day;
Merkur 37C / Gillette Nacet #1; a new blade today. Proraso Sandalwood and 27mm Maseto badger knot.

Merkur 37C + Feather (2)
2nd shave this blade. 3 passes to DFS. One small nick on left neck. Minor irritation. Applied Nivea ASB to help the skin to recover. I avoided pressure and let the weight of the razor do what it could.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
We are at the midway point, and I've pulled together some stats. Let's start with some Caveats,
  1. There will be errors. This is a manual process and since there is no standardization of how we all enter our shave info, it's definitely an imperfect data capture system. Plus I have to interpret descriptions of razors and blades (which are the only two things I'm capturing), and my knowledge is a little shakey. Feel free to point out errors, and I'm happy to correct them; but please don't get too wound up in the details.

2. The stats only include shaves. If people just posted a photo of a razor(s), but didn't mention shaving that day with them, then they're not included.
Here's what I have from 9/1 thru 9/14 (doesn't include today)
Total Shaves: 69
Total Shavers: 16
Different Slants: 25
Different Blades: 14
Most Used Razor: Merkur 37C
Most Used Blade: Nacet
% of Shaves with Pic: 65% (45 out of 69 shaves posted)

Slants Used To Date:
Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 075648.jpg

Shavers Posting Shaves To Date
Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 08.01.51.jpg

Shavers using the most Slants (Top 4)
nemo: 10
Tanuki: 9
Flintstone65: 5
Clouds: 4

Last caveat and request: I'm new to this, and I'm definitely going to work on presentation for the final stats....I've had to do this quickly and on the fly. If you have any ideas for what you'd like to see/know, please throw them out there; keep in mind that I may not be able to accommodate every request. Life is starting encroach on my hobby time and will for the next couple of weeks, but I'll still be participating as well as enjoying (and capturing) everyone else's shaves....I'll just be a bit more quiet than usual.

Cheers,
Fred

We are at the midway point, and I've pulled together some stats. Let's start with some Caveats,
  1. There will be errors. This is a manual process and since there is no standardization of how we all enter our shave info, it's definitely an imperfect data capture system. Plus I have to interpret descriptions of razors and blades (which are the only two things I'm capturing), and my knowledge is a little shakey. Feel free to point out errors, and I'm happy to correct them; but please don't get too wound up in the details.

2. The stats only include shaves. If people just posted a photo of a razor(s), but didn't mention shaving that day with them, then they're not included.
Here's what I have from 9/1 thru 9/14 (doesn't include today)
Total Shaves: 69
Total Shavers: 16
Different Slants: 25
Different Blades: 14
Most Used Razor: Merkur 37C
Most Used Blade: Nacet
% of Shaves with Pic: 65% (45 out of 69 shaves posted)

Slants Used To Date:
View attachment 1017162

Shavers Posting Shaves To Date
View attachment 1017163
Shavers using the most Slants (Top 4)
nemo: 10
Tanuki: 9
Flintstone65: 5
Clouds: 4

Last caveat and request: I'm new to this, and I'm definitely going to work on presentation for the final stats....I've had to do this quickly and on the fly. If you have any ideas for what you'd like to see/know, please throw them out there; keep in mind that I may not be able to accommodate every request. Life is starting encroach on my hobby time and will for the next couple of weeks, but I'll still be participating as well as enjoying (and capturing) everyone else's shaves....I'll just be a bit more quiet than usual.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred,

IMO you are doing great and with style.

Let me know if you need help. I don’t know the slants. I may be able to help with the blades.:001_smile

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Saved for today, the storied "bakelite slant" sold N.O.S. by Italian barber years ago (2012).
Vintage no-name lightweight, similarities to Merkur handle shape, many theories on maker.

full

It took me a while to get to the point where I felt comfortable using the Wunderbar daily, but I'm glad I finally got there. I was somewhat intimidated early on, but I now know that was due to my inexperience rather than the razor. The Wunderbar is a well-built tool using quality materials. It's awesome.

The German 37 was great from day one. No adjustment period was required. I was a little wary because of the reviews of slants at the time of purchase, but those fears were unwarranted. The razor just delivers. I pretty much find myself on auto-pilot when I use it and it has yet to bite me. If were stainless steel, it might be my only slant. I bought just the head for because I already had a spare handle to use with it. I still consider it the best razor I have for the price I paid.

If I had it to do over again (i only have two years of DE experience), I would buy the German 37 with the HD handle, a synthetic brush (even though I have several boar brushes), some Arko or Proraso, and some quality blades. I would then have spent the last two years working on my technique and coming to the realization that I have all I need to achieve quality shaves for life. But then I would have missed out on all the fun provided by the variety of products I've been lucky enough to enjoy the last 24 months. I hope I answered your question.

Thanks!
This is helpful and it parallels my experience. And the advice is welcome.
Thanks for you Air Force service.
Go Air Force!

Flintstone65

Fred,

IMO you are doing great and with style.

Let me know if you need help. I don’t know the slants. I may be able to help with the blades.:001_smile
Thanks! Do you know if Astra makes something other than Astra Superior Platinum.....some folks just say Astra, some say Astra SP and others spell it out. I figure the SP is an abbreviation for Superior Platinum, but I wasn't sure if Astra made any other blades. I'm mostly a Voskhod, Feather and Gillette Silver Blue guy.

Flintstone65

Saved for today, the storied "bakelite slant" sold N.O.S. by Italian barber years ago (2012).
Vintage no-name lightweight, similarities to Merkur handle shape, many theories on maker.

full
Okay, that is a gorgeous razor!!! :001_wub: I am a huge fan of the white bakelite.

Thanks! Do you know if Astra makes something other than Astra Superior Platinum.....some folks just say Astra, some say Astra SP and others spell it out. I figure the SP is an abbreviation for Superior Platinum, but I wasn't sure if Astra made any other blades. I'm mostly a Voskhod, Feather and Gillette Silver Blue guy.
Astra SP = Astra Superior Platinum
This by far is the most popular of the two Astra blades. If the writer uses Astra by itself, I would assume Astra SP.
Astra SS = Astra Superior Stainless
This blade is probably more consistent from first to last shave and a bit sharper than the Astra SP.

I’ll upload a couple of pics later today.

Top Bottom