What's new

Slantember 2019 (Used to be September) Is For Slants!

R

romsitsa

Got this beast from a fellow enthusiast. Head looks like a Fasan/Trumpf and it came with the "classic" Solingen zamak handle, but no marking except for a letter L and 118 in the comb. The cap is too thin and doesn't really follow the curve of the plate, so it's extremely blade forward and chatters. Made a shim from an old blade (under the cap), so the chatter dissapeared, but the blade feel is still monstrous. For ergonomic reasons replaced the original handle with the LeCoq. The grey corner is a repair, that tooth was missing.

IMG_6135.JPG IMG_6136.JPG IMG_6137.JPG

Adam

Got this beast from a fellow enthusiast. Head looks like a Fasan/Trumpf and it came with the "classic" Solingen zamak handle, but no marking except for a letter L and 118 in the comb. The cap is too thin and doesn't really follow the curve of the plate, so it's extremely blade forward and chatters. Made a shim from an old blade (under the cap), so the chatter dissapeared, but the blade feel is still monstrous. For ergonomic reasons replaced the original handle with the LeCoq. The grey corner is a repair, that tooth was missing.

View attachment 1014822 View attachment 1014823 View attachment 1014824

Adam

Captured, but not tamed! :punk:

Slantember 7

Still rolling north. Moving quickly, can smell the barn...

Merkur 37C
Personna ‘hospital use’ (3), smooth, not as sharp
Ogallala Bay Rum stick, finger later
Fast CCS+.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Shave was so smooth yesterday I decided to try the thin handled Merkur again today.
Used a Voskhod ... it's been awhile since I had the sensation there was no blade installed!
full

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Uh oh, looks like this thread's popularity diminished quickly!

Today another vintage slant of the flagship Merkur 37
full

Tried the Pacific 100 today, with the pink roller. Now here is a clear difference in aggression between pink and clear. Using my calipers I measured a 0.03" difference in diameter, so it is clear there's a difference in bladegap.
Waits only lists the 300 and I have no paperwork - I stand corrected.

I have it in my rotation this week.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Slants FourSlants.4Slants.MySlants.9-18.640.jpg

I've not used any of these slants in a while because I mostly shave with straight razors, but these are four fine razors. There are a couple of other slants I'd like to have in my arsenal.
  • The Merkur slant (but which one?)
  • The Fatip slant (it's in transit).
I have no idea which of my slants is my favorite. They're all good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Waits only lists the 300 and I have no paperwork - I stand corrected.

I have it in my rotation this week.
I've both, that's how I found out :) Been wondering for a while whether the existence of the 100 and 300 means there should be a 200 as well ...
Shaved with the 100 again today. Bit me in the corner of my mouth.

Uh oh, looks like this thread's popularity diminished quickly!

Today another vintage slant of the flagship Merkur 37
full

I drove everyone off by shaving with my 37C three days in a row. Back home now, I’m carefully considering today’s slant. Probably something iconic. That should help...

Slantember 8

Sweet home! And a few slants to choose among.

Pass 1 Oryx SR, fresh outa mail call
Pass 2 iKon B1 coated SS slant, on the B1 handle
Nacet (2)
Unbranded, unbanded boar
Creamy, creamy Cremo Cooling + Kapo=Karo Fresh
Texas 10X Face Freezer AS

819A3EEE-6F69-448B-9ABD-C55E94BC7F10.jpeg

Solid evening shave, CCS. I didn’t try to get everything from the Oryx on its first trip around my face. Also, my iKon slants have always been a bit inefficient for me. I plan to unwrap a Kai and wake them up a bit, later in Slantember.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Here's my SOTD -- my RR German 37 with a Voskhod blade. It was a great shave with an Omega model #10777 boar lathering Men's Soap Company's Bay Rum, and finished with a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel.
IMG_2086.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pomco, another Merkur 37 variation of the original for the Chicago cutlery company.
Super smooth with a fresh Perma-Sharp blade.
full

I like it too!
I’m a Bay Rum kind of guy.
I’ve enjoy your posts.

Thanks! You’ve inspired me! I’m doubling down on Bay Rum this morning (will also break out the Pinaud VIBR), once I finish playing with hones down at my ‘workstation’. :)

SOTD
Razor: ATT S2 OC Slant/Gillette Platinum blade
Brush: Paladin butterscotch Lotus with 26mm knot
Soap/Aftershave: Oaken Labs Conservatory
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Here is the slant element of today’s Slantember 9 shave.
ATT S2/Nacet(3) on custom thin Russian Ti pineapple handle
7D94B500-41C6-4D0C-A167-B532D2B7AD19.jpeg

Top Bottom