What's new

Slantember 2019 (Used to be September) Is For Slants!

@efsk
My Pacific has the same gaps on each side and yesterday I didn't notice any difference. It has "roller" bars and they do roll, so it feels pretty darn smooth!!
Paperwork that comes with mine states the purple roller is for average, the clear roller for longer or tougher beards. Now I never noticed any difference either, but figured maybe other people did :)

How does it perform? Had a fixation with the PAA open comb slant for a while but on the fence given the number of razors I have, but then again one more won’t hurt right? Lol

I believe you will enjoy the PBOCS greatly. Lots of blade exposure, but a tightly torqued rigid blade.

Not my daily driver, but I’m always smiling after I take it for a spin. A blade tends to crunch a bit when loaded/unloaded so I like to leave them in place and get a full set of PBOCS shaves before I park it again.

I doubt I’ll find a Fasan in the wild, so the PBOCS will remain a unique shaving experience for me. :)

Lots of Merkur 37 love today! I always think of the various Merkur slants (and the RazoRock German 37 clone) as providing the baseline slant shave, against which all other slants are judged.

How does it perform? Had a fixation with the PAA open comb slant for a while but on the fence given the number of razors I have, but then again one more won’t hurt right? Lol

You should get one. It isn't expensive and it gives a shave like no other razor.
As said by @Tanuki lots of blade feel and I also get a lot of audial feedback.
It's strangely lightweight but it's in a league of its own.

I'm really enjoying the shaves I've been having with my RR Wunderbar this month. They are actually better than I remember. I bought my first DE razor in September of 2017. The experience I've gained since then has improved my shaves quite a bit. When I first bought the Wunderbar I couldn't imagine using it daily, but this week has been pure joy.

Paperwork that comes with mine states the purple roller is for average, the clear roller for longer or tougher beards. Now I never noticed any difference either, but figured maybe other people did :)
Mine has a Pink and Clear rollers and didn't come with any paperwork.
Does your paperwork say anything about the Pink roller?

Lots of Merkur 37 love today! I always think of the various Merkur slants (and the RazoRock German 37 clone) as providing the baseline slant shave, against which all other slants are judged.
SOTD: German 37, Merkur Super Platinum, Ogallala Bay Rum with Orange, Omega Pro 49
A two pass beautiful shave.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Vintage Merkur today, going with the silver-plated thin handle model 38 -- good grip!
full

Mine has a Pink and Clear rollers and didn't come with any paperwork.
Does your paperwork say anything about the Pink roller?
Pink/Clear rollers and black handle is the Pacific 100. There, too, the clear is for longer/coarser hair, the colored one for shorter/softer hair.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My SOTD is the Ikon X3 with a handle whose name I cannot remember. A Voskhod on it's 6th shave, and some LEA cream (which I absolutely love) lathered with a Yaqi Purple Haze handle sporting a Mew Brown synthetic knot. I finished with some Thayers Rose (Witch Hazel). It took 3 full passes, but I ended up with a DFS and a VERY-mild feeling shave. I like the X3, but I feel like it is the most inefficient slant I have -- it definitely gets the job done, and it could be my issue with finding it's perfect angle; but for me, it lags behind the Maggards I used the other day. That said, it delivers a nice shave if you have the patience for a 3-pass beard reduction. It also feels like a slant that I could use daily if I had to....not sure I can say that about any of my others.
IMG_2084.jpg

Tried the Pacific 100 today, with the pink roller. Now here is a clear difference in aggression between pink and clear. Using my calipers I measured a 0.03" difference in diameter, so it is clear there's a difference in bladegap.

Slantember 6

Moving day, so a fast shave.

Merkur 37C
Hospital Personna (2) - it was a much better blade today. Coating smoothed out?
Finger lather with whatever soap was in the bowl here.

Surprised myself with a fast two pass DFS - the Personna came through! Finger lathering may be underrated.

Top Bottom