What's new

Slantember 2019 (Used to be September) Is For Slants!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Slantember 3

As the perfect guest, I took it upon myself to hijack a heavy-hitter slant that I passed on to my son a couple years back. :pirate: Of course, first I brought the hot water supply down to ‘tepid’ with my shower prep. :whistling:

Merkur 39C
Dorco ST301 (2)
Ogallala stick - Bay Rum Sage & Cedar
Omega Mixed Midget
Hazel Hop Husker AS

The might Midget visits his cousins
View attachment 1013602

Well, I still don’t like the weight and length of the 39C. Too unfamiliar, no patience = CCS. :prrr:

Beautiful morning, looking out over the bay. :) Slantember rolls on!
As I recall, you're not a fan of the lonnnnng handles....and I'm the exact same kind of guest when it comes to the hot water supply. I had an Uncle who would always yell, "don't fall in love in there!" every time someone would announce they were heading for a shower.

Broke out my Merkur 39c Sledgehammer. I got it a little more than a year ago, used it twice, set it aside. At the time, my skill level and desire to learn how to use this razor were low.

Decided to use it now, so loaded a new Nacet blade, palmolive cream and Aqua Velva Classic Blue.
I got around 3 weepers and a DFS shave. I could feel the correct angle and pressure and had fun with the razor. This time around, I am committed to learning this razor and plan to use it as much as possible and get a no weeper BBS shave out of it.

I think that is the most important thing when trying out some new equipment or software (soap, balms, etc.), having a positive mental attitude and commitment towards gaining the skill-set to getting the best out of them.

Have a Great One!

I think that is the most important thing when trying out some new equipment or software (soap, balms, etc.), having a positive mental attitude and commitment towards gaining the skill-set to getting the best out of them.

Yeah, I totally flunked the attitude test with the 39C. :001_rolle It’s odd how I can commit to learning work around the quirks of some particularly oddball razor (cough... Yaqi Slant) and simply drop a mainstream razor with a solid pedigree, like the Merkur 39C.

This sport is all about YMMV, so have some great shaves with your 39C!

Pacific 300 (in slant mode)
Sort of a pseudo slant, but I believe that qualifies.

proxy.php

Yeah, I totally flunked the attitude test with the 39C. :001_rolle It’s odd how I can commit to learning work around the quirks of some particularly oddball razor (cough... Yaqi Slant) and simply drop a mainstream razor with a solid pedigree, like the Merkur 39C.

This sport is all about YMMV, so have some great shaves with your 39C!
It’s true.
I’ve used my Omega Pro 49 for the last two days with excellent and prolific lathers. I will use it during Slantember.
Happy shaving!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Merkur 37G today, it's fun to use some of these I haven't touched for years.
full

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So many, many moons ago I purchased a few items from the BST -- I was in a frenzy (many would ask, when am I not?) -- but one of those was a Maggard's Slant. Today was the first time I've dug it out since I received and cleaned it. I can't believe I let this one sit so idle for so long....what a great shaver!!!

3-passes (although I could've easily stopped after 2) and I am silky smooth without a hint of irritation and no sign of blood. It is a heavy little monster, but it has that nice balance of mild on the face but efficient on the whiskers! It reminds me of the Wunderbar, except it was a fraction of the price and it didn't make me "bleed my own blood"....as they say. This one will be making another appearance this month, for sure!!!

Razor: Maggard's Slant with Vokshod (5)
Soap: Tabac -- Mmmm, I love this stuff
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Brown (faux Horsehair) with Rainbow handle
Finish: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
IMG_2082.jpg

Slantember 4

Continuing to abuse my guest privileges, I slept in and, once the coast was clear (both literally and figuratively), I kyped a surreptitious shave with a Merkur 36 that just happened to be sitting there in the den I’m visiting.

Don’t worry, I washed it thoroughly before and after, then put it back exactly as I found it. “Age and guile” go where “Parental privileges” fear to tread.

Merkur 36
Dorco ST301 (3)
Arko travel stick (Arko top note totally dominates the original Cutter insect repellent base notes of this ecologically-sourced plastic tube)
Omega Mixed Midget
Hazel Hop Husker AS

4E5BC6AD-41A4-4AAF-9185-01D826A3C885.jpeg

I had to work for my DFS. Perhaps this Dorco blade resents its daily cycle back into the wrapper and into the travel kit. This might have been its last shave. I paid my buffing surcharge with some AS sting.

Pacific 300 (in slant mode)
Sort of a pseudo slant, but I believe that qualifies.

proxy.php
Nice to see a different model from all the usual suspects. How do you experience the differential aggression between the two sides of the Pacific?

@efsk
My Pacific has the same gaps on each side and yesterday I didn't notice any difference. It has "roller" bars and they do roll, so it feels pretty darn smooth!!

My Punktal on the other hand has two different sides, but I really have to think about it to notice the difference.

Todays Slantember shave is one of the usual suspects and also the last of my slants - Merkur 37C

proxy.php

Merkur 37c and my Col. Williams Sierra Mist shave soap. My Omega 10098 Pro Boar works up the lather.

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Slantember 5

Needed a solid shave after this morning’s dawn patrol. I had to meet a man with 3 or 4 dozen knives in his duffle bag. What if he was picky about issues of grooming? Or just got out of the wrong side of bed?

Merkur 37C
Verona USA Personna ‘FOR HOSPITAL USE’
Arko face-lathered with the little boar/badger mistura
Hazel Hop Husker AS
8B8E624A-25ED-4CBF-96FA-E2B8AA32226A.jpeg

Top Bottom