What's new

Slanted Shave Brush Stand | Thater Makes One | Does Anyone Else?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1600705677033.png1600705788169.png

I'm looking for options in a shaving brush stand of this sort. Thater makes one in SS but it's kinda pricey. Does anyone know where to get a similar stand at a better price?

Seems to me I've seen one somewhere, sometime, but I have no idea where.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Chubby2-Best.inThaterBrushStand.480.9-30-20.JPG

The Chubby 2 barely fits, but it fits which is all that matters. Most of my smaller brushes fit this stand. Not that the Chubby 2 is small of course but it has a fairly short handle and it fits.

I've read that this is the ideal position for drying brushes, but I bought it because I consider it very cool looking as well as functional. In my opinion and experience brushes dry just fine in any position as long as they are out in the open air and given sufficient time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

First of all, I am a research guru [I am totally not a research guru] and found some other options, though some may no longer be sold.

Slanted:
  1. Alpha Shaving used to have a stainless steel stand that looks like a copy or homage to the Thater stand, but taller. I don't think this is being made any more.
  2. OneBlade used to have a stainless steel stand that looks like an homage to the Thater stand, but smaller slots. I don't think this is being made any more.
  3. Mondial has angled brush stands, though more of the "wire" type of style that I think looks cheap and is typically chrome plated, and more restrictive in brush handle size. Definitely would not hold a Chubby.

Hanging:
  1. In a way stylistically similar to the Thater, but hanging rather than angled, are the Triton brush stands. If these go on sale and I commit to getting one more brush, I might get one.
  2. TSS makes once similar to Triton's basic hanging brush stands. The Simpson Chubby (or one of them) is featured in the product photos, and there is actually a disclaimer about the fit of various Chubby sizes.
  3. Dovo makes brush + razor stand similar to the Triton versions.

Thater one is still the best. Sad that I missed out on the one on BST earlier today; snatched up fast by a very wise member.

Last edited:
Shavemac does, or did, offer what appears to be an identical design
The only way to be sure is to buy the Thater one and compare. For science. ;)

I'm now seriously thinking about getting one of these and pairing it with the Triton four-brush stand. I only have three brushes, so you know what that means ...

This was my first draft and I'm pretty happy with the results even though I may decide to refine the design a bit later. It's not stainless steel, but it works with all of the brushes in my current rotation.

20201101_204914.jpg

I needed something to distract me from current events and coming up with this did the trick. There was a bit of high school math involved, but I got it done. I also decided to design a stand for my non-folding SE razors.

20201101_205206.jpg

Tomorrow, it's back to the real world...

^
Possible to do it with the arched bottom?
Yes, but that will require a little more time and effort... and math. I only had to deal with lengths and angles with the first version; it's a bit more challenging when you throw in curves and I was out of tequila. I decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Last edited:
I thought with the free programs out there it would be possible to add in the arch into the design, without need of any calculations. Just click and drag? Not sure how it works with printing, though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm going to have to try my hand at bending some old coat hangers Baby!

Can y'all say, "Cottage Industry!" I'll be rich in no time, I'll just say I'm an "Artisan" and y'all will be asking me for franchise opportunities!

Top Bottom