What's new

Slant vs. Straight!

I'm a straight guy (well, I am...:nono:) for sure, but I have to say that I just picked up a 39C for travel and had a couple of shaves with it. Best DE I ever used, bar none (I only used 2 others...:blushing:). No nicks, no weepers; just a nice smooth, efficient shave. Two passes and a bit of touch up and bango!

Sure, it's a little more aggressive (that's not quite the right word), but I don't know that it requires any more care or caution than the other DEs that I used. I don't know, I had an Israeli Persona in there. I'll slap a Feather in there in a day or two and see how that works out.

Still prefer my straights, but this is definately a nice razor though for sure.

I'm a straight guy (well, I am...:nono:) for sure, but I have to say that I just picked up a 39C for travel and had a couple of shaves with it. Best DE I ever used, bar none (I only used 2 others...:blushing:). No nicks, no weepers; just a nice smooth, efficient shave. Two passes and a bit of touch up and bango!

Sure, it's a little more aggressive (that's not quite the right word), but I don't know that it requires any more care or caution than the other DEs that I used. I don't know, I had an Israeli Persona in there. I'll slap a Feather in there in a day or two and see how that works out.

I've never used a straight so I can't compare directly...but I agree on the Slant. I've used a Slant/Feather combo nearly every day for about 6 years and to me the shave seems almost identical in mildness to the Merkur Classic or Progress...maybe just a little more comfortable as I seem to keep gravitating toward the Slant over time while experimenting with other razors. If anything, Feather blades make them seem even milder. :001_smile

this is what i had been thinking for some weeks now... maybe a slant as my backup DE.. thanks for the quick review..

You do know that you aren't helping out with this kind of recommendations! With posts like this, I am going to have to separate a bit of cash from my wallet and add the Slant to my collection.

Over 24 hours later, barely the appearance of some stubble. To most, I would appear "clean shaven".

BTW there are two versions of the Slant made by Merkur, the HD and the Barber Pole.

If you get the HD, get it in GOLD. The Barber Pole, 39C, is fantastic due to its weight and balance. I am pretty sure the stubble cowers in fear awaiting the ignominious fate about to befall it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The slant is one of my favorite DE's, and I agree that it looks great in gold.

I've got the gold HD. I also use SRs in normal rotation with DEs.

I think the difference between the Slant and other DEs that comes to mind would be that with the Slant, I have a stronger feel of the "presence" of the whole edge of the blade resting on my face, and that affects the really nice sense of "pull" that I feel while shaving.

This is what it's all about. Very nice smooth and satisfying shave. If you are a guy who has second thoughts about giving this razor a whirl, I'd recommend you go ahead and get yourself one. These razors are serious shavers.

Well - Just to underscore the original theme of this thread here: I am amazed at how good the quality of the shave is with the Slant, but there is no way that it beats a shave with a well-honed straight done properly. :a49: :biggrin:

OK, moving right along.... I really am impressed at how efficient the Slant is relative to the Progress and a ~1950 SuperSpeed that I have. Much mo' better, IMO. For me, two light passes do the work of three on other razors and with very little irritation. It's a pleasure to use. What surprised me though is that I don't see it as being as dangerous as it is sometimes described. Maybe it takes a little more attention to keep from being too 'aggressive', but it's really not too bad at all.

Last edited:
Well - Just to underscore the original theme of this thread here: I am amazed at how good the quality of the shave is with the Slant, but there is no way that it beats a shave with a well-honed straight done properly. :a49: :biggrin:

I agree, easier said than done, in my case!:thumbup1:

OK, moving right along.... I really am impressed at how efficient the Slant is relative to the Progress and a ~1950 SuperSpeed that I have. Much mo' better, IMO. For me, two light passes do the work of three on other razors and with very little irritation. It's a pleasure to use. What surprised me though is that I don't see it as being as dangerous as it is sometimes described. Maybe it takes a little more attention to keep from being too 'aggressive', but it's really not too bad at all.

Getting a great shave with just 2 good passes has also been my experience. The Slant is a very efficient razor.

Two passes instead of three with the 39C and Astra SS blade this morning.
I have found medicore blades work well with the slant also.

Top Bottom