What's new

Slant Stroke review

Every time I search on eBay to see if any interesting slants are out there, I always come across the Slant Stroke razor. I learned a long time ago that even though the name says slant, it really isn't a slant razor. It appears to be your basic cheap bakelite safety razors from the 30s. I finally broke down and got one just to see why folks are listing these on eBay and why folks are buying them.

When it arrived today, it was your basic bakelite razor with the only unusual part being the trough type bar area not unlike the Parker Variant or the Timeless. The razor was very light, and the head had a brass screw which screwed directly into the bakelite handle (no brass insert). Blade alignment was good and so it was ready to shave.

When I started my WTG pass, it was very smooth and I had visions of it being similar to my Merkur Bakelite. When I felt my face after the first pass, that vision went down the drain. There were areas of stubble and other areas not shave as closely. It took me the full WTG, ATG, XTG plus touch up to get a good shave, which is something I have not experienced in a while from the razors in my current rotation. The good part is that this is a comfortable razor, and the bad part is that it is not very efficent. I am not sure if putting on a heavier handle or using a different blade will change the results by much. This will probably end up as my travel razor (now that I don't travel as much).

So all you folks looking for good bakelite razors, pass on this one and get a Merkur.

DSC01446.JPG
DSC01447.JPG
DSC01448.JPG

Thanks! I've been wondering whether I should get one.
Short answer (if you didn't catch it earlier) - NO. The one folks are talking about that is similar (but way better) is the Knockout which is from your side of the pond. Of course you probably got a ton of those already.

Thanks. I received a head as part of a multiple razors buy but had never tried it. I do have the Merkur and PAA OC Slant modern Bakelite razors too.

I have the same razor, and also found it pretty disappointing. The head looks like it's made well enough, so I had high hopes, but I just couldn't get a very close shave out of it. Three to four passes for mediocre results, two passes usually gets me DFS. If you like the Grand Shave King, you may enjoy this. But in all honesty it makes a Tech seem like a monster.

Okay, as I was getting ready to pack up the Slant Stroke along with a bunch of other razor parts that I wasn't going to use anytime soon, I took the razor apart and decided to try on a top cap from one of my spare razor Merkur clone razor heads. I loaded a blade and did a dry test and thought it might work. I made a Frankenrazor and shaved with it tonight, using the base plate from the Slant Stroke, the Merkur clone top cap, and the PAA BOCS handle (just to keep it light like the original). Wow, what a difference!

DSC01474.JPG
DSC01477.JPG
DSC01479.JPG

I went from three full passes plus touch up (and still feeling stubble) to two passes plus touch up, which is minimum for keeping a razor in my rotation. The top cap added a little more weight, but I think it bent the blade a little more, making it stiffer. Now I rate it closer to one of my Tech clones or Gillette New. If I pack it up, it will be packed up with the new configuration.

I like your experimenting with these (and other) razors. Working with them until you get something that shaves to your liking.

Top Bottom