What's new

slant safety razor

For me it's a gimmick. Historically they made sense once (I think mor because of the torsion than the slant positioning), but nowadays I do not think so.

Esp. the Fatip OC Slant doesn't do it for me, it gives me irritations but leaves too much stubble. The only slant I like and that gives me a good DFS close shave is my Fasan OC Slant form the 1930s or so. But I don't think, that beeing a slant has anything to with it. I also had a Merkur 37 which was just a bad shaver for me.

I personally think 2 oc slants are better than average:
Fatip Open Comb Slant, efficient and smooth
El Fantasma PAA (just used once)
Merkur 37 I don't feel it's any better than 34.....more so if you do 3 passes....if you only do one...maybe there is a difference, but usually by 3rd pass.....it's all the same for me.

Got the Parker Semi-Slant when they were first introduced. IMO, you get an equivalent close and smooth shave with milder blades (Astra SP's, Parker Platinums, Derbys, etc) to my Techs, New LC & SC's and other Vintage Razors using sharper blades (Voskhod, BiC, etc.).

I use the Merkur 37C and I find the blade makes a difference. The Nacet seems to get better results than the Voskhod but I only use that razor for 2 months in the year.

Does anyone own both the FOCS and the German 37? I want to try a slant and would like to hear a comparison of the two.

Does anyone own both the FOCS and the German 37? I want to try a slant and would like to hear a comparison of the two.

In a couple of days I will be in possession of a FOCS and a 37C. It will take me a few days to test drive them both. I hear the German 37 is similar to the 37C. So far I have the Ikon X3 and ATT S1 heads on bulldog handles. Both of these provide very smooth, close, comfortable shaves. I'm on a slant kick right now. Never tried one until about a week ago. So far I really like them.

I personally don't find slant designs to be inherently superior to straight bar designs. True, I have found a few slant razors that shave exceptionally well for me, just as I have found some equally good straight bar razors. Likewise, I've experienced a few dogs of both designs. I understand the theory of the slant, that the angled blade supposedly provides a more efficient "slicing" action, but I haven't found this to be readily apparent in actual practice. Of course, as with all things shaving, YMMV.

I have and enjoy both. I think the FOCS is smoother and easier to use than the German 37. I use the FOCS head on a Piccolo handle and the G37 on a 75mmx12mm Ti handle. Closeness will always be blade and technique dependent.

I like 3 piece, so the German 37 is a great replacement for the Merkur 36 that escaped from me after 4 decades.

I think the slant advantage is all about the torsion stiffening the blade. So a well clamped non-slant is going to be capable of equivalent shave quality and ease of use.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have a Parker Semi-Slant, which surprised me at the closeness of the shave it gave, and I recently bought a Fatip Open Comb Slant, which is even better than the Parker Semi-Slant. Both razors come in at a price of between $30-$40 US. Both give shaves far, far above their purchase price point. Honestly, I don't think it's a gimmick. I will also add that neither razor is my favorite razor...but both are very good...Fatip takes the prize.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I like an agressive razor and I recently acquired a Yaqi slant head (wanted a slant for a while and the head was half price with free shipping). Putting it on a Parker handle I have to say I need to keep my wits about me when I use it and if I don't pay attention it can bite my head off, or at least my skin. It is safe to say it is not a gimmick.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I got my very first BBS with a RR 37 German slant razor, I think they are more efficient and all is need is a 2 pass shave with a clean up passes.(you could over shave possibly with a 3 pass with clean ups IMO) I also have a Razorock Wunderbar slant and it is very efficient razor the way it torques the blade and all that is needed is a light touch.
But to a seasoned shaver there is nothing exciting, but with a Wunderbar you will pay a little more attention to technique to get nice results or it will bite. If I get a good shave I know my Technique is on mark. There is a technique called the Gillette slide and it works similar to a slant but care is needed not to over angle the razor to make it a hazard. Gillette thought it was more a gimmick and could of made a nice slant because they had the know how to make it. Maybe Gillette should come out with a slant razor for a new double edge razor, they would hit sales records just for making a slant model IMO. People love and enjoy Gillette products and they have come out with different models over the last 2 years.
Gillette slide picture below with a regular razor! A slant razor has this maneuver incorporated in head design and just shave like you normally would.
Gillette slide (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
I like an agressive razor and I recently acquired a Yaqi slant head (wanted a slant for a while and the head was half price with free shipping). Putting it on a Parker handle I have to say I need to keep my wits about me when I use it and if I don't pay attention it can bite my head off, or at least my skin. It is safe to say it is not a gimmick.
Is that the globetrotter?

I'm using a Merkur 37 It does shave very nicely and smoothly. I just love slants except PAA
BOCS, which is aggressive and harsh for me.

Popular enough that people are slanting non-slants!

Wanton destruction

Some slants are better than other slants. There is no one slant (or any other razor) that will work for everyone. There are some slants I don't like. The RR Wunderbar and vintage Hoffritz slants are in my dislike pile. Vintage Valencia, 37C, and the Fatip Lo Storto are all in my like pile, along with most of my own slant creations.

Every shaver should have one slant razor. Whether you need 2 or more slant razors is an open question.

On a scale of 10, rating razor effectiveness, I rate the Merkur 34 HD as a 5, and the Merkur 37 slant as a 6.

Top Bottom