What's new

Slant recommendation?

So I’m sitting at home, the wife and daughter are out & I’m staring at the fish tank- and after that was no longer interesting (lol) I put the YouTube’s up in the boob tube and started scrolling razor vids- and stopped when I got to one about slants. I’ve never used one, held or seen one- so I watched- and was intrigued- the guy said it’s not really for beginners- and the devil on my shoulder in a British accent said “oh, we graciously accept the challenge…” So: I looked around- I saw Parker, Merkur, & RazoRock. The RazoRock looks like a 37/9c knockoff- but wondered if it shaved like a knockoff.The price range of the Merkur is the most I’m willing to pay- and I don’t want a half slant or semi. I’m kinda eyeing the 37c because the grip on the sledgehammer looks like it would slip if you’re right handed & the 37 doesn’t look like that’s an issue- Any slant hounds wanna weigh in? I have 34c, DL89, gem jr, and the gem micro bullet. Oh and a SuperSpeed. Those are my safety razors. I know nothing about slants- or even where to start, Lol- haven’t bought a safety razor in 12 years or so- thanks fellas!

I was PIF’d the Merkur 37c. It’s a really nice razor and a great shave. I also have a couple of PBOC (Phoenix Bakelite open comb). They are more aggressive but also great shaving razors. They’re my choice for multiple days of growth. They’re not still available from what I understand but they have the monster series (which I’ve read is similar but slightly less aggressive) and the fakelite (which I think is slightly less aggressive still)

The Merkur slants are good, but I really like the RR German 37 a bit more for several reasons. It is a three piece razor so you can swap most any handle you like on it. It is slightly more aggressive than the current generation of Merkurs, more like the older generation. The German 37 is also less expensive, and the quality is pretty good.

You get your choice of handles with the German 37. I'd avoid the really heavy or long handles and get the UFO style handle for better balance.
1650001927128.png

I'm also a fan of the Fatip Open Comb Slants. They're all-brass and give a very close and smooth shave.

1650002221287.png

So I’m sitting at home, the wife and daughter are out & I’m staring at the fish tank- and after that was no longer interesting (lol) I put the YouTube’s up in the boob tube and started scrolling razor vids- and stopped when I got to one about slants. I’ve never used one, held or seen one- so I watched- and was intrigued- the guy said it’s not really for beginners- and the devil on my shoulder in a British accent said “oh, we graciously accept the challenge…” So: I looked around- I saw Parker, Merkur, & RazoRock. The RazoRock looks like a 37/9c knockoff- but wondered if it shaved like a knockoff.The price range of the Merkur is the most I’m willing to pay- and I don’t want a half slant or semi. I’m kinda eyeing the 37c because the grip on the sledgehammer looks like it would slip if you’re right handed & the 37 doesn’t look like that’s an issue- Any slant hounds wanna weigh in? I have 34c, DL89, gem jr, and the gem micro bullet. Oh and a SuperSpeed. Those are my safety razors. I know nothing about slants- or even where to start, Lol- haven’t bought a safety razor in 12 years or so- thanks fellas!
Let us know what you decide and what the experience is like.

I'm really interested in slants too. Of course, I'm also easily tempted when told "this is not for beginners..."

Let us know what you decide and what the experience is like.

I'm really interested in slants too. Of course, I'm also easily tempted when told "this is not for beginners..."
Will do. I’m the guy that loves Vanderhagen blades in a SuperSpeed because my SuperSpeed makes any junk blade I put in there work. I’ve tamed my gem micro bullet- straight razors- slants are just a corner of the universe I haven’t explored 🤣

The Merkur slants are good, but I really like the RR German 37 a bit more for several reasons. It is a three piece razor so you can swap most any handle you like on it. It is slightly more aggressive than the current generation of Merkurs, more like the older generation. The German 37 is also less expensive, and the quality is pretty good.

You get your choice of handles with the German 37. I'd avoid the really heavy or long handles and get the UFO style handle for better balance.
View attachment 1440031
I'm also a fan of the Fatip Open Comb Slants. They're all-brass and give a very close and smooth shave.

View attachment 1440032
I saw a gold one somewhere….Beautiful razor😊👍💈

I don't know why it took me this long to jump down the slant rabbit hole.

I just did my own shave off between the 37c and RR G37. For me, both are whisker reduction three pass razors versus one pass and that's it. I got great shaves from both with the G37 being slightly closer. I do prefer the three piece construction of the G37, the longer handle, heavier handle and better grip. However, the wider blade gap is more prone to irritating skin under my neck so I may work with the 37c until the ATT S1 arrives.

I don't know why it took me this long to jump down the slant rabbit hole.

I just did my own shave off between the 37c and RR G37. For me, both are whisker reduction three pass razors versus one pass and that's it. I got great shaves from both with the G37 being slightly closer. I do prefer the three piece construction of the G37, the longer handle, heavier handle and better grip. However, the wider blade gap is more prone to irritating skin under my neck so I may work with the 37c until the ATT S1 arrives.
ATT S1?

I've been intrigued by slants but know nothing about them (they look strange to me). What are the advantages/disadvantages of slants vs. normal razors?

I've been intrigued by slants but know nothing about them (they look strange to me). What are the advantages/disadvantages of slants vs. normal razors?
So what I’m hearing is you’re essentially getting the same type of shave- however, the blade is slicing like a guillotine as opposed to a regular bar that chops like chopping onions. Instead of chopping, the slant slices sideways at an angle slicing the hair as opposed to perpendicular. I probably over explained it but that’s the jist.

So what I’m hearing is you’re essentially getting the same type of shave- however, the blade is slicing like a guillotine as opposed to a regular bar that chops like chopping onions. Instead of chopping, the slant slices sideways at an angle slicing the hair as opposed to perpendicular. I probably over explained it but that’s the jist.
I guess it's something that has to be tried in order to fully understand. I'll put it in my list of things to buy!
A good idea would probably be a cheap slant just for the experimentation!

The RR37 is definitely more aggressive than the current Merkurs. I like the shave very much. Pretty aggressive actually. But I like it this way.
Be ready for fiddling for a long time with the alignment though. It is almost as bad as Fatip.

I have tried a number of slant razors. My favorites are the ATT S-1 and RR Prototype slant. The RR is no longer available. Both are exceptionally smooth razors.

ATT s-1.jpg
RR Stealth Slant.jpg

So I decided to buy a Yaqi slanthead (head only) through Aliexpress. I wanna see what all the fuss is about with the slantheads. Curiosity got me!
It was $7.50 direct from the Yaqi factory store so it's a cheap way to give it a whirl. I'll just use one of my other handles. If I don't like it, I'll PIF here!
I threw in a 22mm synthetic Yaqi brush as well for $7.00. They are selling them as "handle defective". Most reviewers say that they just have the logo scratched up on the brush but no other defects that affect usability. For a secondary/travel brush, you can't beat it for the price!
Grand total: $15.59!
Since it's coming from China, I'll probably get it in a month. I'll review the slant (and the brush) when they arrive!

slant.jpg
Brush.jpg

Top Bottom