What's new

Slant recommendation?

Att s1? What’s so awesome about it? Never heard of it- all I know of are the RR, Merkur, & ikon.

A little mousing around on B&B will fix that! :)

Tooting my own horn a little, look for "The Tilted Picnic" which is a series of slant reviews I've done for the last three years, so far.

There are other threads about slants all over; a simple search should turn up a couple hundred at least. Also, read in the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers (BOSS) subforum.

To your question: the ATT S-series slants (S1 SB, S2 OC) are an innovative take on slant design. I have an S2 and it's been my favourite razor for years.

It's a good time to look into slants. RazoRock is bringing out a whole new line of them, Above the Tie has the S and X series slant razors, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has the whole Monster series as well as the Filament and still some of the Alpha Ecliptic left I think, and there are plenty of other slants out there to explore.

In the vintage line there are many European slants (Merkur, Fasan, Globusmann, etc. etc.) and even some of the more recent "vintage" like the RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant (a Globusmann copy) are still fairly easy to find. Also the iKon Shavecraft 102 which is a tilted slant instead of helical but a very good shaver nonetheless.

Even the Gillette guys get a slant! There's the "Wanton Destruction" slant, "re-made" from a Gillette.

Lots of room in the rabbit hole; c'mon in!

O.H.
 
That thing looks gnarly! Godspeed! 🫣
As was suggested above, I recommend the Above the Tie S1. I find it extremely smooth and efficient. Not overly aggressive therefore it’s my daily driver and I shave at least 6 days a week with a thick beard and thin skin. I know it’s more expensive but I think it’s well worth it. I’ve had mine since 2016 and won’t be giving it up anytime soon.
Good luck in the search.
 
I had my first shave with my new ATT S1 satin finish razor and an Astra SP (2) blade. The shave was very, very smooth. 95% of my shave is BBS with the remaining 5% DFS. That darn 5% is a problem area on my neck and I'm optimistic that once I develop some technique with this razor I will get that too.

One thing jumps out already. Achieving the same shave result with the 37C and G37 resulted in some decent irritation on my neck. I have almost no irritation from this shave. I did have one weeper but that points to technique again.

This was a great first shave. The real test for me will be shaving a week straight with it without irritation and solving the 5% problem area.
 
May I please present the Fatip Lo Storto Slant OC. This razor gives me a very nice 2 pass shave with some touch up. I am getting acquainted with her and I have found she bites if you get too careless and timid. A confident but light touch required…..At least for my mug!
😊👍💈
 

Attachments

  • CACB5629-3297-4A2E-A312-03D1358C567A.jpeg
    CACB5629-3297-4A2E-A312-03D1358C567A.jpeg
    966.9 KB · Views: 3
  • AC56C191-B524-4DE4-9766-000F4BCFE442.jpeg
    AC56C191-B524-4DE4-9766-000F4BCFE442.jpeg
    658.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 8431A4FC-995A-4CC4-9B75-494ACF80716D.jpeg
    8431A4FC-995A-4CC4-9B75-494ACF80716D.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 3
I kind of figured that by the description, Lol!!
But it was cheap so it'll give me a chance to (slowly and gently) try out a slant. I'll be extra careful. I do like and use agressive razors though! Hopefully it won't be too bad!!
I've had the Yaqi slant for a while now it's not as bad as it looks it took me about 3 shaves to get dialed In. Once that happened I got beautiful smooth shaves with it but its not the type of razor you can use on autopilot.
 
I kind of figured that by the description, Lol!!
But it was cheap so it'll give me a chance to (slowly and gently) try out a slant. I'll be extra careful. I do like and use agressive razors though! Hopefully it won't be too bad!!
I've just ordered one as well. I read a thread (pretty sure on B&B actually) where people were talking about shimming them on top to reduce the aggression to a manageable level. Most people were trying with 1-2 blades as shims after trimming the cutting edge off.
 
Top Bottom