What's new

Slant razor recommendations

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have the Parker Semi-Slant and I find that, for a $30 razor, it's capabilities far surpass its cost. Not that cost is everything...but I'm thinking about a more expensive slant razor. What would you recommend?

I received today the Fatip OC Slant, my first slant so cant compare but very effective and smooth. Not agressive on the skin but gives the result of an agressive razor. I love it. And it cost 40cad which is about 30us.

The FOCS is a nice razor. I also like the Razorock Wunderbar and the ATT S2. I wouldn't kick any of them out of the bathroom for eating crackers, but currently the ATT is my favorite.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Of the slants currently in my Den, the FOCS is my #1 choice. The Wunderbar would follow. The Fatip Lo Storto Gentile, Maggard, Slant Stroke and RR German 37 after the Wunderbar.

All of these Slants are good razors. I reach for the FOCS more than any of the others.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

FOCS and Wunderbar are both top slants. FOCS is very affordable, and all brass. Wunderbar is definitely 'more expensive'. My ATT S2 is fine, but for me a rank below the top. Next step down are the Merkurs and the German 37. Still good shavers. Not very different from the Parker. On knock on the Merkurs is that they are two piece, so you can't swap handles.

Both FOCS and Wunderbar might be out of stock at times.

I am not an iKon fan, nor of the Maggard head.

JCarr

Thanks for your quick replies. It appears from the half dozen of you that chimed in...there's a clear consensus...get the FOCS. Its price tag, $30 US, will make the purchase that much easier. I'm not much for open-comb razors...do you think the closed comb version would provide a similar experience for someone like myself whose facial hair doesn't require an OC to deal with it?

I have the Parker SemiSlant and the Razorock G37, both very nice razors. I would love to get the FOCS...
My facial hair is not thick but I do enjoy open combs...

Let's go for Open Comb and join OCtober.....with a slant!

I have the Parker Semi-Slant and I find that, for a $30 razor, it's capabilities far surpass its cost. Not that cost is everything...but I'm thinking about a more expensive slant razor. What would you recommend?
You have not suggested a budget but I would think the Merkur 37C {or Sledgehammer, long handled equivalent} should be in consideration; it is a slant bar and torques the blade. It has a good following on this forum.
The Fatip FOCS Lo Storto or Lo Storto Gentle {solid bar}, punches well above it's weight and the former is growing in popularity. The Gentle is less aggressive but good technique will cope with the open comb. They are all brass construction which is another factor in their favour.

JCarr

You have not suggested a budget but I would think the Merkur 37C {or Sledgehammer, long handled equivalent} should be in consideration; it is a slant bar and torques the blade. It has a good following on this forum.
The Fatip FOCS Lo Storto or Lo Storto Gentle {solid bar}, punches well above it's weight and the former is growing in popularity. The Gentle is less aggressive but good technique will cope with the open comb. They are all brass construction which is another factor in their favour.

Is the Merkur you mentioned brass also?

Thanks for your quick replies. It appears from the half dozen of you that chimed in...there's a clear consensus...get the FOCS. Its price tag, $30 US, will make the purchase that much easier. I'm not much for open-comb razors...do you think the closed comb version would provide a similar experience for someone like myself whose facial hair doesn't require an OC to deal with it?
Is the Merkur you mentioned brass also?
Most people who have tried both say the open comb version of the Fatip Slant is a better shaver. Don't worry about the open comb, it's really smooth and works at a wide range of shaving angles.

Merkur 37 & 39 are zamak.

JCarr

Most people who have tried both say the open comb version of the Fatip Slant is a better shaver. Don't worry about the open comb, it's really smooth and works at a wide range of shaving angles.

Merkur 37 & 39 are zamak.

Thanks.

JCarr

Looking around for the Fatip Open Comb slant...no where to be had. Sold out all over the place.

Connaught has good service, and had reasonable shipping last time I ordered. I have heard that shipping to the US has gone up generally.

Man, before I could even get here the 🦊 is the word!

2CA84824-15C8-42D8-8608-3FEAF3B5DA45.jpeg

The Merkur heads are zinc alloy and two piece razors. The plates are crimped to the handles and have good balance. I like the balance of the short handle versions.

All Merkur heads (top and plates) are made from a zamac alloy (Zink, Aluminium, MAgnesium and Copper) that is chrome plated. If the plating wears off, this alloy will basically corrode away rather quickly. It's not made to last.

However, contrary to what many seem to think, all Merkur handles are made from brass that is then chrome plated. These handles can last a lifetime even after the plating has worn off.

This also means that Merkur handles can be fitted with new Merkur zamac heads or any other head that fits.

Top Bottom