What's new

Slant razor discussion

Has any one tried the Fine aluminum slant razor they are having made in China per the Fine web site? Listed as currently available but expensive at $125 which is about as much as the RazoRock Wunderbar, a North American made 316 stainless steel razor. Makes the Aluminum Fine look overpriced IMO, particularly as being made in the far east. Apparently the Fine Bakelite is gone.

It is my understanding that Merkur made the slant for Hoffritz. Does anybody know if the head is the same as the modern Merkur 37c?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It is my understanding that Merkur made the slant for Hoffritz. Does anybody know if the head is the same as the modern Merkur 37c?

Very, very close. The early ones don't have the scalloped top cap but the geometry is the same.

Thank you. I have a Hoffritz, and enjoy it, but I was wondering if the 37c would be much different. With the same geometry, I would expect that the shave would be very similar as well.

I love slants. I don't know if the pressure they put on the blade makes them stiffer, but I find them to work more like my SE razors than regular DE razors.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the (not listed) Holy Black SR-71 and can affirm it's a close-shaver ... handle is a bit much, though.

full

The RR is also good; both excel at under-nose.

AA

I have the (not listed) Holy Black SR-71 and can affirm it's a close-shaver ... handle is a bit much, though.

full

The RR is also good; both excel at under-nose.

AA
I found mine rough in terms of QC and shave, and the handle bordering on ridiculous. I don't know what they were thinking.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I use a Merkur 37C slant bar most of the time with Personna Blue, occasionally with Astra SP blades. Get good shaves with both.

But I do go back to my Merkur 34C straight bar for a few days each month, seems like I need to be reminded just how smooth a slant bar razor can be. Also gives me a chance to thoroughly clean the slant of any soap residue.

Top Bottom