What's new

Slant Razor combined with Gillette slide pass technique!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was just wondering if others who own slant razors combine Gillette slide to their routine to increase efficiency of the shearing action.
Or is this just bad practice to try, I just ordered A Razorock 37 and I was going to try this combination.
upload_2017-10-3_16-26-22.jpeg
proxy.php

Last edited:
There should be no need to perform a Gillette slide with a slant razor. The slide was used to emulate a slant razor in the first place.

Ron R

Slant razors are in big demand and I noticed a lot of the high end ones are sold out from suppliers, so I know what the slant has done is incorporated a glide shear effect but if you combine the two that would compound the guillotine effect?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've not tried this. I'm not sure if it's dangerous or not, but it is probably redundant, honestly. But my advice is worth what you pay for it, always remember that when you read my posts.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There should be no need to perform a Gillette slide with a slant razor. The slide was used to emulate a slant razor in the first place.
This guy is smart. He said what I was thinking, in a whole lot less syllables!

Ron R

Maybe shavers are doing this already and do not even know by poor technique handling? I disagree with 1Cal because you would stop if it was cutting you. So far you have indicated it would drastically increase shearing to the point of being dangerous possibly.(I have been known to live on the "edge" at times because my past occupation in maintenance)
If it did have potential to increase shear angle a person could reduce his # of passes and get a possible finer shave and less irritation would be the positive outcome is my thinking.
I'm sure there has been some seasoned shavers who might of tried this practice and could give their honest experiences.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
As an RN, I whole heatedly agree. Nurses hate blood.
Do not j-hook either. I learned the hard way with my PAA Bakelite OC Slant. There's a lot of blade exposure on that little razor, and I can tell you the result wasn't very pretty. I have the scar to prove it, and I was warned against trying any such nonsense by Cal. I didn't listen. :blushing:

I know enough not to even try that with my straight. Why would I risk a safe slash with a slant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ron, I wouldn't even think about this until I'd been shaving with the slant a long, long time. Then, when I thought about it, I'd have myself committed to the real asylum.

The fact that you're asking about it now means you are 100% eligible for commitment to BOSC. Just go ahead and add BOSC to your signature.

I'm sure some people are able to do things with sharp objects, things which are beyond the pale for those of us far more mortal, and aware of mortality and morbidity, but that does not mean we should try these things at home. Well, unless we live in the ER and our roomie is a plastic surgeon.

I often think, "If he can do it, I can do it," but experience has taught me to sometimes ignore thoughts of this sort. Some people aren't human!

Safe shaves trump happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

Hello Chan.... to join the BOSC you need some deep pockets and I'm not willing yet.(I got invited to BOSC and I saw some interesting asylums and the one you have proposed reminds me of beautiful resorts in Mexico we frequented in winter.):a54::a46:
As for the Gillette slide I think we do that with out realizing it with a regular SE razor To certain "degree", I just found out about it just a couple of days ago. So when I start shaving with my new slant I'm aware of the potential consequences.
All the best.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Ron, I wouldn't even think about this until I'd been shaving with the slant a long, long time. Then, when I thought about it, I'd have myself committed to the real asylum.

The fact that you're asking about it now means you are 100% eligible for commitment to BOSC. Just go ahead and add BOSC to your signature.

I'm sure some people are able to do things with sharp objects, things which are beyond the pale for those of us far more mortal, and aware of mortality and morbidity, but that does not mean we should try these things at home. Well, unless we live in the ER and our roomie is a plastic surgeon.

I often think, "If he can do it, I can do it," but experience has taught me to sometimes ignore thoughts of this sort. Some people aren't human!

Safe shaves trump happy shaves,

Jim
I totally agree you knuckle head! :001_smile Come on over to BOSC and join the rest of us. Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Question: If you do a Gillette slide with a slant does it turn the razor into a non-slant? :1eye:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hello Chan.... to join the BOSC you need some deep pockets and I'm not willing yet.(I got invited to BOSC and I saw some interesting asylums and the one you have proposed reminds me of beautiful resorts in Mexico we frequented in winter.):a54::a46:
As for the Gillette slide I think we do that with out realizing it with a regular SE razor To certain "degree", I just found out about it just a couple of days ago. So when I start shaving with my new slant I'm aware of the potential consequences.
All the best.
Nah, That's a bit of a misnomer. You don't have to spend money to be a crazy shaver! Either you are or you aren't!

One of our main tenants is: The desire to do all sorts of shaving experiments that your grandfather would have laughed out loud at (or maybe cried).

This phrase is crucial and not to be overlooked or down played, and you can absolutely enable others free of charge! :letterk1:

Ron R

I totally agree you knuckle head! :001_smile Come on over to BOSC and join the rest of us. Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Question: If you do a Gillette slide with a slant does it turn the razor into a non-slant? :1eye:
Depends on what angle you start, that is why its best to know these things before you start with a slant.
I have a feeling that you will take all the shinny things away in the BOSC and I might have to grow a beard is that true?:prrr:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have a feeling that you will take all the shinny things away in the BOSC and I might have to grow a beard is that true?:prrr:
Absolutely not! We crazies like bright shiny objects especially if they're sharp. Hey, look, what's that over there...:001_tt2:

Ron R

You guys sometimes have to open your views to the new advancements that the slants are bringing to you.
This fellow tells it the way it is and does a lot of things wrong (on purpose)just to show you RR stealth slant has a built in angle protection that gives you the edge possibly.
The only problem there sold out a lot of the time.(I wunder Why?)

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nah, That's a bit of a misnomer. You don't have to spend money to be a crazy shaver! Either you are or you aren't!

One of our main tenants is: The desire to do all sorts of shaving experiments that your grandfather would have laughed out loud at (or maybe cried).

This phrase is crucial and not to be overlooked or down played, and you can absolutely enable others free of charge! :letterk1:

Absolutely.

It can be about buying stuff, but buying stuff is neither necessary nor sufficient for commitment to BOSC.

Besides, you're not invited to join BOSC. It's more like someone notices you are committed - maybe I should say someone comments on your committability - whether you know it or not.

It is unnecessary to declare your membership in BOSC. Yes, it is preferable. However, some are members without even being aware of their membership. Such is the nature of insanity.

Agree or disagree: Most B&B members are have a growing or full blown degree of BOSC.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You guys sometimes have to open your views to the new advancements that the slants are bringing to you.
This fellow tells it the way it is and does a lot of things wrong (on purpose)just to show you RR stealth slant has a built in angle protection that gives you the edge possibly.
I watched the video Ron. Correct me if I'm wrong (which happens a lot), but I didn't notice anywhere in the video where his shaving stroke wasn't "in line" with the handle (versus the "out of line" with the handle "Gillette Slide").

Top Bottom