What's new

slant questions

My mileage must vary. I'd rank the shaves I get from my slants (new and vintage) at middle of the road. Not that I don't like them, or think you shouldn't try one, but I get better shaves from many other razors. When it comes down to it, why not try every razor you can afford to get your hands on? They all have different personalities and half the fun is getting to know them all:001_smile

I prefer that slant bar razors over the straight bar razors. It's my impression they reduce the number of strokes and/or passes required to get a close shave. However, you do not necessarily get a closer shave with a slant, it just makes it a little easier. Bear in mind that it's not a significant difference but, IMO, a noticeable one.

I just had my first shave with a slant (39c) coming from a 23c, both merkur obviously.

My first reaction was, "holy crap this is smooth!!". Over the flat areas of my face, it felt like there was no blade in the razor. I was worried about the chin area, as the gap in the slant is noticeably larger, but it worked out great, no nicks or cuts.

I can't see going back to the 23c unless I am in a hurry or hungover and am not able to concentrate as much.

I find I get the job done with fewer passes and less buffing, thus less irritation. I like mine way more than my E.J. Chadsworth or my Muhle open comb.

I've used my 39c slant pretty much exclusively since I got it in November. For me it's gotten better results than either my HD or my SuperSpeed with the same set of blades. Maybe it's the added weight or the slanted shape of the head - I really don't care. I simply love the results. I've never tried an open comb or adjustable and may do so one day. But for now the slant keeps my RAD in order and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

My mileage must vary. I'd rank the shaves I get from my slants (new and vintage) at middle of the road. Not that I don't like them, or think you shouldn't try one, but I get better shaves from many other razors. When it comes down to it, why not try every razor you can afford to get your hands on? They all have different personalities and half the fun is getting to know them all:001_smile

+1 on trying as many as you can. They are all different and require their own special touch.

When it comes down to it, why not try every razor you can afford to get your hands on?

I've thought a lot about this, and I think it was best expressed in a scene from Joe vs. The Volcano (with slight edits):

"Have you thought much about razors, Mr. Banks?"
"No. I never really have."
"It's the central preoccupation of my life. You travel the world, you're away from home, perhaps away from your family, all you have to depend on is yourself, and your razor."

Cheers,
-- Chet

I have a confession to make...

I ordered a slant last week as a b-day gift to myself, and not less than 24 hours after it shipped did i develop buyers remose over being a cheapo and not forking out the extra few bucks for a gold one :)

Fortunatly, John at WCS is very awesome and worked out a favorible way for me to exchange it without loosing the shipping deal I originally qualified for. My hat's off to WCS, always a pleasure to do business with!

Now I just have to wait for that gold one...*rubs hands together*

I have a confession to make...

I ordered a slant last week as a b-day gift to myself, and not less than 24 hours after it shipped did i develop buyers remose over being a cheapo and not forking out the extra few bucks for a gold one :)

Fortunatly, John at WCS is very awesome and worked out a favorible way for me to exchange it without loosing the shipping deal I originally qualified for. My hat's off to WCS, always a pleasure to do business with!

Now I just have to wait for that gold one...*rubs hands together*

Good move Funky.

I too sprung for the extra for gold on both the Slant and the HD, and have never thought seconds of it yet, and never will.

Open question to everyone:

Whats the difference between the 37c and 39c aside from the handle lenght, and which would you personally get?

Open question to everyone:

Whats the difference between the 37c and 39c aside from the handle lenght, and which would you personally get?
The 39C has more mass (weight) and but the head of the two razors are, for intents and purposes, are identical. The handle of the 37C is knurled while the 39C has a "barber pole" cut. Both should be easy to grip when wet but I would give the edge to the 37C. Personally, I prefer the 39C because the of longer handle, which gives me more control/leverage options and the extra weight.

Top Bottom