What's new

Slant or normal razor?

I've been using a maggard slant razor and the synthetic brush from the starter kit for about two years now. Just dropped the razor and broke the threading on the head this morning, thinking about getting some new stuff this black friday.

I use the maggard slant razor with a feather blade with MdC soap and I get excellent shaves, but I do cut myself more than I'd like. The maggard synthetic brush is pretty good, though it's the only one I've ever used. The only other razors I've used are the feather popular and the maggard V3 razor, where I think I feel the blade too much.
Can anyone offer some recommendations about what razor to get and if getting a new brush will make a difference? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

I really liked the maggard slant razor and I'm wondering if the slant makes a difference. I also liked how you couldn't really feel the blade when using it.

You found something you like, why change it up? I’d reorder the same razor. This can be your fall-back setup. It works and you enjoy it.

Anything else you get, razor or brush, would be secondary, to figure out where you want to branch off to next in this fine hobby.

You found something you like, why change it up? I’d reorder the same razor. This can be your fall-back setup. It works and you enjoy it.

Anything else you get, razor or brush, would be secondary, to figure out where you want to branch off to next in this fine hobby.

I was thinking about getting the Merkur 37C to try a different slant, heard good things about that one

I only have experience with the RR German 37 (which is supposed to be a clone of the Merkur 37) and the iKon x3 slant. The RR 37 requires some attention and care, it can be a bit aggressive otherwise. I’ve not tried the Maggard slant.

In general I mean it’s good that you know you like the Maggard, so you should keep one handy, that way you’re not stuck with a razor you might not like and no other options.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love my Razorock German 37 Slant. Zamack head.

I don't use it much anymore, as it shaves so close I don't need to shave for 3 days!

I like the Merkur 37 slant razor. It's slightly more aggressive than the Merkur 34 HD razor. On a scale of 10 with 5 being average aggression, I would rate the Merkur 34 as a 5 and the Merkur 37 as a 6.

You could get the German 37 head only from Italian Barber if your maggard handle is usable. I think the German 37 head is a very accurate clone of the Merkur slant. Either of the Merkur slants is a fine razor. The 39C is too big and heavy for my taste, though.

An iKon X3 slant head might suit you as well. Its alloy is stronger than zamak, I think. My son just replaced his Merkur slant with the X3.

If you want to try another style of brush, I am a big fan of boars. I use all the standard brands of boars in my rotation; Semogue, Zenith, Omega. I would recommend an inexpensive Omega with a mid-sized knot, such as the 10066, as an excellent starting point to see if a boar suits you.

Also, have you used any blades other than the Feather? I like Feathers, but they are darned sharp. My son, who shaves milder than I do, prefers Astras.

+1! This. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Definitely replace the head that works so well!

Now with Christmas coming you could add a bit to the collection (just for science)!

my only slant, merkur, shaves nicely.
slightly aggressive, but only moderately so.
no irritation at all.

merkur slant proraso aug 31 2013.jpg

Your photographic skills never fail to amaze me friend.

thanks, Dave!

that shot was pulled from a week with the slant back in 2013, along with this one.
most everything in the shave photo catalog is keyworded, so it's pretty easy to pull something from the archives!

santa maria merkur slant sep 3 2013-7299s.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use the maggard slant razor with a feather blade with MdC soap and I get excellent shaves, but I do cut myself more than I'd like.

If this was my face there would need to be a change. I cut myself more than I'd like doesn't sound good to me - at all.

At the very least there is probably an imbalance between razor/blade/technique. Something needs to change. While it's obviously easier to experiment with blades, a different razor might be in order.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just got another maggard slant and also their 2 band badger brush. Cost me only $18 for both for their black friday deal.

I suspect you will really like the brush. It's not a brush I own, but I like all of the two band brushes I own.

Mostly now I shave with a straight razor but I've noticed how well slants work for me. I do not have the Merkur 37c or it's clone. I have been told by someone who has used both extensively that they like the 37c a good bit better which makes me wonder if the clone is actually a clone?

Were I fixing to buy another slant it would be the 37c based on reviews of it, but you already know you love the German so it was a great choice.

Slants FourSlants.4Slants.MySlants.9-18.640.jpg

These are my four slants.
  • The X3 is a nice razor. It is a very efficient razor for me, but not my favorite.
  • The giant Steath is very very smooth but also prone to jump up out of nowhere and bite.
  • The ATT slant is a great razor in all respects.
  • The PBOCS is also an excellent razor.
Sounds like you got exactly what you should have for your $18.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not slanted but my Gamechanger .68 is trying hard to dethrone my 6S for smoothest shave.
I find that I’m enjoying mild shaves with sharp blades more and more.
I have a rr German 37 and it’s a very smooth razor that surprised me by slicing a mole right off of my face. Haven’t used it since.

I tried a Merkur slant. I used the Astra blades I use in my regular, go to, a Merkur HD. It was not a noticeably different shave. That was kind of disappointing—I expected it to be dramatically different. Maybe more aggressive. Or maybe giving a better shave. Or maybe feeling dangerous in my hand. it was none of the above. Honestly, it felt kind of gimmicky. And it was a bit harder to trim my sideburns straight. So back to the good old HD.

Top Bottom