What's new

Slant: Only or Rotation?

Boston Dave, you are very methodical! I'm actually rotating 4; 37g, Futur, Chatsworth and a 39c on loan from a member of the B & B Razor Razor Lending Consortium, bb557. For me that one isn't gonna make it. I've rarely even nicked myself with the afore mentioned 3. However, my chin appears as if a major firefight had taken place! I give it time to mend, try again and boom, ditto. :cursing::crying:

I know your having a tough time with your new slant and your doing it right. Let yourself heal, and go for it again! Its worth having a slant work for you. My "little guy" (THE G) already does. Its all a mater of what works for you.:smile:

I could definitly use the 37g every day. Try the feather, just take your time.

Slant is the go to razor. I use it more than any of my others.

For variety I will use my E type Injector, which is almost as aggressive as the Slant.

If I had to pick just one- it would be the Slant.

I use my 39C+Feather for those times when I have 3 or more days of stubble to deal with ... the Slant is at its best when there is a lot of hair to harvest. I get BBS in 2.5 passes every time.

For day-to-day shaving, my 34G gets put into play. I also have a Futur which I'm still experimenting with, and an unmodified Progress that doesn't get used hardly at all.

Since I don't have to shave every day for the job, the Slant gets a lot of use ... but I wouldn't want to keep it as my ONLY razor.

I'm still looking for an open comb slant (hopefully a metal one) that's actually in good enough shape to use. It's my holy grail, until I find my next holy grail of course.

Last edited:
So do you use your Slant as a two-day beard shaver only and not as a daily?

The reason I ask is the Slant may be to aggressive for my skin as a daily razor but may be a great heavy beard day shaver.

Still I'm keeping an open mind about the Slant as I be trying it later this week with Feathers blades for the first time.
So far, I've usually had trouble using my HD Slant more than a few days at a time as my skin tended to get sensitive -- especially with a Feather blade. This week I think I used it for the past four out of five days (didn't shave Sunday) and it's going well. It may be that my technique is improving. Either way, I'll continue to use other razors as well.

My go-to razor is a Barber Pole (non-slant).

It depends on my mood. The vintage one I have is smaller than an HD, so it's a much different weight and balance. Once the Pomco gets here I'll have one of each size. :biggrin:

The Pomco looked to be in good condition and your bid sir was better than mine. Love to know how it shaves though. Congrats on a nice purchase.:thumbup:

Well, I have now had my slant (Sledgehammer) for a week now, and it has become my rotation!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The shave is closer than ever, with considerably less irritation than ever, and only two passes plus blade buffing instead of four passes plus buffing.

Last edited:
Rotation for the slant, it gives great shaves no doubt but one of my adjustables cranked up up to 9 or my futur set on 6 makes my face shine.

I keep a slant in my rotation but my other razors get 90% of the use. I prefer my Chatsworth, Cooncat BullDogs and Progress but work in the 37C on occasion. The 37C gives a great shave but is somehow not as satisfying. YMMV

Top Bottom