What's new

slant experience & observations

I had my second outing with the slant (a brand-new gold-plated merkur) this morning. Used a souplex blade. I've been pretty pleased, on the whole. I get some inconsistency from one side of my face to the other, which leads me to believe that I'm not quite getting the angle right, but the second shave was better than the first, so I'm learning.

Where I've been able to get the angle right, though, the closeness of the shave has been remarkable -- about what I get from the super adjustable.

I will admit that the big blade gap was a little intimidating, but it doesn't shave at all as mean as it looks. Altogether, I'm having a good experience with the slant and I'm glad a gave it a whirl. I have about a dozen different slants that I've kept on the shelf until now, but they'll certainly be making it into rotation, I think.

Cheers,
-- Chet

My vintage Hoffritz just came up in the rotation this morning. Two passes (WTG/ATG) with a Perma Sharp - BBS! The slant is the razor that really taught me "no pressure" - the lighter I hold it and let it float over the contours of my face, the closer and more comfortable it is. Enjoy!

I like my Merkur Slant razor, but I've had an experience that I've never seen referenced on a forum.

After shaving with a Slant and the whiskers grow back the next morning, I find the whiskiers are "sharper" when I rub my hand across my face. I think that is because the whiskers are cut an angle and are therefore microscopically pointed.

Has anyone else noted this?

I really like my slant. Just shaved with it about an hour ago. Yeah, it'll teach you to keep the pressure light that's for sure! Show some respect and you'll get a fine shave.

Top Bottom