What's new

Slant Efficiency

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Granting that metaphors rarely capture the real truth of what they are intended to illustrate, I have often thought that the guillotine comparison was a particularly inept example. Understandable, though, as most people are more familiar with the guillotine than with the tool that fits better as metaphor for a slant razor.

That tool is the scythe. The way a scythe blade is made, mounted and used enforces a slice rather than a chop. Not only is that less work for the person using the scythe, it leaves a nicely cut stubble behind.

It occurs to me that a guillotine is rather like a cartidge razor in that it is relatively simple for any untrained user to put into action and achieves its primary goal successfully although messily. Unlike a cartridge razor, however, the guillotine rarely has to be re-applied to finish the job. :)

As one who has dabbled in sword work from eastern and western traditions, I find a sword is a good metaphor as well though also admit that even fewer people probably understand swords than understand scythes.

O.H.
I should try to resist.... but I'm not going to:

MakeYourJobInteresting.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
^^^Many others above have put this in perspective much more eloquently than I possibly could.^^^

My limited experience with my only slant does seem to be more efficient, but Holy smokes, a LOT more blade feel.

Let me guess, you think the slant razor idea is a gimmick, right?

As Ron was saying, the main benefit is comfort and smoothness. If that smoothness allows for a more aggressive geometry, that can be an added benefit. But slants are not more aggressive just because they are slant designs.

Think of cutting a tomato. While you could cut a tomato with a meat cleaver, you will get much better results by slicing with a knife.

You can achieve the slicing effect with conventional DE razors, also. This involves using a more diagonal or curved razor stroke. Look up the "Gillette Slide".
That was an excellent example with the tomato and the knife. Ten points for you.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have a Yaqi agressive slant and I yet to use it. Everytime I look at it, it scares me!
And I've put it for sale and nobody has been interested. I guess they're scared too, Lol!!
Pictures don't do it justice. It has to be seen in person to appreciate how sinister it looks.
I have one and despite using it because I have used it I am still a bit scared of of, all it takes is one lapse in concentration and you end up with a face like chopped liver.

I have one and despite using it because I have used it I am still a bit scared of of, all it takes is one lapse in concentration and you end up with a face like chopped liver.
I guess I'll keep it for sale till it sells.
No thanks, Lol!!

I think slant razors are a bit of a gimmick that don't quite live up to their promise. I'm not saying that they are bad razors by any means and they certainly hold the blade very rigidly.

My Wunderbar Slant gives me a shave that is exactly as close as an R41, but noticeably more comfortable doing it, probably because there is absolutely no blade chatter. The downsides are that it's a bit big and heavy. There are simpler DE razors that I enjoy more and that shave closer.
I defo agree, Ive got the merkur 39c, fatip oc slant and ikon x3 slant and I can't feel or see any difference in the end results compared to a standard de

Although I like the fatip oc slant in particular the whole slant razors me anyways are a bit overhyped

Perhaps LED headliners or artificial engine noise are better analogies?

They are interesting and worthy attempts to solve long-standing issues for sure, but I'm not convinced that either one turned out to be a meaningful improvement. They've not exactly dominated the market.
So Happy Jack, let's go with your thought. In your opinion, what meaningful improvements in razor design have been clearly acceptable to most serious shavers?

So Happy Jack, let's go with your thought. In your opinion, what meaningful improvements in razor design have been clearly acceptable to most serious shavers?
Slants and adjustables are "clearly acceptable to most serious shavers". I have one slant (Wunderbar Slant) and two adjustables (Futur and Progress); I like all of them and use them all occasionally. I use my Futur most, but I tend to always leave it on the same aggressive setting so I get the same result from my much more agile Ikon Tek, for example. The Futur is certainly a good razor but I don't think the adjustability adds as much value for me as I thought it would. Same with the Slant. Not bad ideas, but they haven't exactly disrupted the DE market.
Is the difference significant I do not have a way of knowing by what %, but I believe it is has some merit.
If it was significant all razors would be made this way by now!
That's exactly my thought.

Top Bottom