What's new

Slant Efficiency

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I am curious about the purported efficiency of the slant headed razor as compared to the straight safety bar razor. While the guillotine might be very effective at severing heads due to it’s design (only a small portion of the blade is cutting at any given time and it never cuts anything lower in it’s path), the entire blade of a slant head is cutting continually after a relatively short stroke. Engineers and razor aficionados what say ye?

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I am curious about the purported efficiency of the slant headed razor as compared to the straight safety bar razor. While the guillotine might be very effective at severing heads due to it’s design (only a small portion of the blade is cutting at any given time and it never cuts anything lower in it’s path), the entire blade of a slant head is cutting continually after a relatively short stroke. Engineers and razor aficionados what say ye?
Let me guess, you think the slant razor idea is a gimmick, right?

As Ron was saying, the main benefit is comfort and smoothness. If that smoothness allows for a more aggressive geometry, that can be an added benefit. But slants are not more aggressive just because they are slant designs.

Think of cutting a tomato. While you could cut a tomato with a meat cleaver, you will get much better results by slicing with a knife.

You can achieve the slicing effect with conventional DE razors, also. This involves using a more diagonal or curved razor stroke. Look up the "Gillette Slide".

1655996653327.png

All of the above. I purchased a Fatip Piccolo Slant and used it for awhile.

It might have been my technique, but it didn't do anything for me. I wound up passing it on in a trade. YMMV.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The slant razor can be slightly more efficient if the blade is torqued like a lot of slant models. By twist torqueing the blade slightly it makes the blade more rigid and slices at the same time, not all slants razors have this feature.
Is the difference significant I do not have a way of knowing by what %, but I believe it is has some merit.
If it was significant all razors would be made this way by now!
I had a shave with my Razorock Wunderbar slant this morning and it was very close shave.
SOTD June 23 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have a Yaqi agressive slant and I yet to use it. Everytime I look at it, it scares me!
And I've put it for sale and nobody has been interested. I guess they're scared too, Lol!!
Pictures don't do it justice. It has to be seen in person to appreciate how sinister it looks.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Granting that metaphors rarely capture the real truth of what they are intended to illustrate, I have often thought that the guillotine comparison was a particularly inept example. Understandable, though, as most people are more familiar with the guillotine than with the tool that fits better as metaphor for a slant razor.

That tool is the scythe. The way a scythe blade is made, mounted and used enforces a slice rather than a chop. Not only is that less work for the person using the scythe, it leaves a nicely cut stubble behind.

It occurs to me that a guillotine is rather like a cartidge razor in that it is relatively simple for any untrained user to put into action and achieves its primary goal successfully although messily. Unlike a cartridge razor, however, the guillotine rarely has to be re-applied to finish the job. :)

As one who has dabbled in sword work from eastern and western traditions, I find a sword is a good metaphor as well though also admit that even fewer people probably understand swords than understand scythes.

O.H.

I think slant razors are a bit of a gimmick that don't quite live up to their promise. I'm not saying that they are bad razors by any means and they certainly hold the blade very rigidly.

My Wunderbar Slant gives me a shave that is exactly as close as an R41, but noticeably more comfortable doing it, probably because there is absolutely no blade chatter. The downsides are that it's a bit big and heavy. There are simpler DE razors that I enjoy more and that shave closer.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a Hoffritz slant which is a nice shaver but no better than my other razors. I do not find it relaxing to use as I spend the entire shave wondering how to hold it to get my sideburns straight. After years of use I am none the wiser. 😂

Granting that metaphors rarely capture the real truth of what they are intended to illustrate, I have often thought that the guillotine comparison was a particularly inept example. Understandable, though, as most people are more familiar with the guillotine than with the tool that fits better as metaphor for a slant razor.

That tool is the scythe. The way a scythe blade is made, mounted and used enforces a slice rather than a chop. Not only is that less work for the person using the scythe, it leaves a nicely cut stubble behind.

It occurs to me that a guillotine is rather like a cartidge razor in that it is relatively simple for any untrained user to put into action and achieves its primary goal successfully although messily. Unlike a cartridge razor, however, the guillotine rarely has to be re-applied to finish the job. :)

As one who has dabbled in sword work from eastern and western traditions, I find a sword is a good metaphor as well though also admit that even fewer people probably understand swords than understand scythes.

O.H.
What's a scythe? You and I know, but I suggest fewer than 2 outta 10 young folks do. We live in a world domineered by technology and by sophisticated machines, rather than ol' fashioned manual labor.

I love and recommend slant razors. I would slightly change an analogy mentioned earlier by saying a regular razor is like "pushing" a knife through a tomato--yeah it can be done--but a slant razor is like slicing through a tomato with a slight reverse pull. There's a big difference in cutting efficiency!

Slant razors are not a gimmick, unless one thinks automatic transmissions in automobiles also are gimmicks. The two most meaningful improvements in the original safety razor design IMO are the slant and the adjustable.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What's a scythe?

:thumbup:

...a slant razor is like slicing through a tomato with a slight reverse pull.

You, my friend, and @NorthernSoul both get a gold star for that observation! Excellent.

The "draw" in the cutting action does the work better than a straight-on chop.

That's also what I was referencing with respect to swords. Some swords such as Japanese katana or wakizashi, the cavalry and Hungarian sabres, the Greek kopis and even the Ghurka kukri are designed to facilitate the draw cut in one way or another.

I'll admit slants are my Special Sauce. I also admit they're not the only razors that will shave well. But like you, I do like them very much.

O.H.

Slant razors are not a gimmick, unless one thinks automatic transmissions in automobiles also are gimmicks.
Perhaps LED headliners or artificial engine noise are better analogies?
The two most meaningful improvements in the original safety razor design IMO are the slant and the adjustable.
They are interesting and worthy attempts to solve long-standing issues for sure, but I'm not convinced that either one turned out to be a meaningful improvement. They've not exactly dominated the market.

My experience with slant DEs has been mixed. My thought is that the slant can be great if the overall design and execution are great but not otherwise. As with any tool, one characteristic is just that. For example, there are great stereo power amplifiers with vacuum tubes, but tubes alone don’t make a great amp or even just a good one. There are also great solid state amps.

For me, the stainless steel, safety bar ATT S1 and the Fatip Open Comb Slant have the magic combination of smoothness and efficiency as well as balance and feel in my hand that makes them a pleasure to use. But the stainless steel open comb ATT S2, the aluminum ATT Calypso S1, and the Holy Black slant have all felt rough to me, and the iKon 102 was too mild and too bulky to shave in tight places.

I enjoy using some non-slants too—at the moment certain Tatara Masamune & Nodachi combos, brass Techs, and (surprise) a Leaf Twig-Thorn. I’m sure others would work well for me too.

In the end, trial and error can’t be avoided.

Top Bottom