What's new

Slant Discussion: I think I have been wrong all along

How do you shave with a slant?

• Right cheek towards the left cheek.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

mtcn77

I think the proper direction of the shaving passes is not what I have been doing and hear me out what you think.

Slant razors by design have variable gap geometry progressing the gap distance towards the right and angle steepness towards the left. It creates a conundrum which way the razor head shaves with the best result. I have been shaving towards the left since I'm right handed and it is naturally following through my dominant hand; however that creates a situation in which the leading edge of the razor is aggressive at first and only mild when the strokes are overlappingly close. I assume starting from the left could be a milder experience.

This is not an issue to most people, but it struck my curiosity that it might not be just a coincidence the head is designed in such a specific way and it might be tested whether our start and end sides of our faces makes a difference in the overall result.
proxy.php
  • "I think we should be shaving towards the downward slope of the safety bar, as in this image: to the 'right' of the razor"

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mtcn77

I just try positioning mine so it feels smooth while I’m shaving and let left, right, and wrong bother someone else.
That would be me in this case.
PS: all this is for WTG visualisation, ATG is of course in the opposite direction - right>left.
:001_rolle:a9:🤔

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I think focusing on mid-shave sensations has the unnerving distinction of being more practical while being very difficult to articulate.

And I avoid WTG as much as possible. Slants help make it avoidable.

M

mtcn77

I think focusing on mid-shave sensations has the unnerving distinction of being more practical while being very difficult to articulate.
Just trying to help in making it less difficult.
I know what I'm saying is as wild as forcing yourself to be left handed when you are actually right handed. It is just a 'what if' kind of question that we can entertain for the quality of our shaves.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Am I understanding correctly...

While shaving your WTG, you are going mostly north to south, and you overlap your strokes. If you start at the right side of your face and each n-s stroke starts more to the left, you are overlapping using the right side of the razor not the left. And the opposite would be true if you started at the left and worked your way to the right.

Last edited:
M

mtcn77

If you start at the right side of your face and each n-s stroke starts more to the left,
That is the thing, I stopped starting from the right. Now I'm starting from the left, when at the mid center I switch the razor over to its other side and go from midline to the right side of my face, always overlapping from the last stroke by half stroke width.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've been curious about the geometry of a slant (don't have one, never used one). My *guess* is it wouldn't matter because at the end of the shave the left and right sides of the razor have both passed over your face the same number of times. If there is a difference that would be very interesting, something I can't replicate using the Gillette slide with a non‐slant.

M

mtcn77

I've been curious about the geometry of a slant (don't have one, never used one). My *guess* is it wouldn't matter because at the end of the shave the left and right sides of the razor have both passed over your face the same number of times. If there is a difference that would be very interesting, something I can't replicate using the Gillette slide with a non‐slant.
We could say YMMV, but people continue to have their reservations whichever way they like their handle position best - steep vs. shallow.

I just recon this is a reason for slants to exist, with a single razor angle fulfilling both roles equally... And I like shaving ad infinitum. Just the excuse to make time for another shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It is just a 'what if' kind of question that we can entertain for the quality of our shaves.

As an attempt to follow the mental experiment, my Ikon X3 and its previously unused Gillette Platinum found their way to my unlathered sideburns for a few, tentative WTG strokes.

The right-hand side was the lower side on both edges of the razor head. Tried both sides of the razor on each sideburn and then tilted the razor so the left side pointed down and repeated that for both edges and both sideburns again.

I accidentally favored the left side of the blade with the right side pointing down and it was rough, but couldn’t duplicate that sensation afterwards. As my evening shave awaits and lather wasn’t used, the experiment was inconclusively concluded.

If there is a difference that would be very interesting, something I can't replicate using the Gillette slide with a non‐slant.

Slant razors like the 37C, 37, and X3 generally hold DE blades more rigidly than regular DE razors. If you have a Feather AC kamisori or RazoRock Hawk V3OC, it’s something you already experience on the regular. Definitely a different feel than the Mühle 2013-R41.

Top Bottom