What's new

Slant Bar - looking for some advice on technique

Does anyone have any tips for using a Slant Bar?

I have been using a Merkur Progress (setting around 4) with Feather blades.

The Slant Bar's first shave (using Taylor's Avocado and a Feather blade) after three passes, was not as close as the Progress after three passes. In particular the Slant Bar did not remove thick coarse beard growth as well as the Progress.

Subsequent passes with the Slant Bar didn't seem to reduce the beard noticeable amounts. I actually found the razor to be rather tame.

All this has me wondering if the Slant Bar works best at a certain angle, etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Birds said:
Does anyone have any tips for using a Slant Bar?

I have been using a Merkur Progress (setting around 4) with Feather blades.

The Slant Bar's first shave (using Taylor's Avocado and a Feather blade) after three passes, was not as close as the Progress after three passes. In particular the Slant Bar did not remove thick coarse beard growth as well as the Progress.

Subsequent passes with the Slant Bar didn't seem to reduce the beard noticeable amounts. I actually found the razor to be rather tame.

All this has me wondering if the Slant Bar works best at a certain angle, etc.

Thanks,
Chris
Hello Chris,
Based on my experience with a slant bar, the only advice I have for you is to apply the fundamentals. Find the cutting angle as though you were new to the game. I say this because the Slant Bar's angle does not look quite the same as an HD when it begins to shear. Other than that, no pressure is necessary. Have another razor handy to trim your sideburns and under your nose.:cursing: BTW, I am not a subscriber to the "Devil's Razor" school of Slant Bar usage.:lol:

Ah, Devil Smelvel... The Slant is a tame, sweet, gentle wildebeest...

I've been using the Slant for three weeks now (Derby blades) and switched back to the Futur this morning for the heck of it and got nowhere near as good as a shave.

The Futur shaves well, so I know it's not the blades or the razor itself - it's the different technique.

Keep at it. The Slant really does give great shaves, but it's a big difference between the Slant and other razors.

The general motions are the same, but the Slant has its own unique angle and pressure requirements. I use a little more pressure with it than with other razors.

-joedy

ps. I don't change razors to trim against sideburns. It is easy to swing the handle out to make the head parallel to the edge of the sideburn for trimming. I don't find this at all difficult or challenging to do.

Joedy said:
[...]
ps. I don't change razors to trim against sideburns. It is easy to swing the handle out to make the head parallel to the edge of the sideburn for trimming. I don't find this at all difficult or challenging to do.
Me neither. Must be difficult for the old folks around here, though. :lol: :lol:

Ron...... I think that Scotto, you know... like.... maybe, you know, called you like "old" or something, you know like.

You wanna, like, egg his house or som'tin like?

:wink2:

-joedy

Joedy said:
Ron...... I think that Scotto, you know... like.... maybe, you know, called you like "old" or something, you know like.

-joedy
It's obvious that he must walk with his head tilted to one side to make up for the slant.. Worse than the side burns is under the nose.. It is just bent the wrong way. After a week with a slant it is either LH Classic or tweezer time..

Thanks for the replies.

I will work on the angle.

Joedy - you brought up an interesting point regarding pressure. I found the Slant Bar to be a bit lighter feeling than the Progress, and as a result I found myself having to work on pressure during the shave. At times it felt as if there was not enough pressure, but not being very familiar with the razor I didn't want to push things.

Regarding the nose...

I had one of the best shaves ever on the upper lip and under the nose with the Slant Bar. I used the straight edge technique of holding the razor head against the underside of the nostrils and rolling the head and blade down while keeping it in the same place, and then shaving down. The head on the Slant Bar seems to be a little lower profile than the Progress, so on my face this technique with this razor worked great.

I do have to say that for a first shave the Slant Bar did give a comfortable and even shave.

Enjoy,
Chris

Joedy said:

-joedy
  1. I was thinking of the flaming bag of :9898:
  2. Ringing the door bell
  3. Scampering off
  4. And the "teehee" watching him stomp out the fire!

guenron said:
  1. I was thinking of the flaming bag of :9898:
  2. Ringing the door bell
  3. Scampering off
  4. And the "teehee" watching him stomp out the fire!

Ron....Ron....Ron....

I am so disappointed in you...

There are a multitude of other endeavors which are more productive....

1) Vaseline on the car wiper blades and setting them to HIGH.
2) Saran Wrap over the toilet bowl.
3) Placing a WANTED ad in a men-seeking-men publication with Scotto's cell phone number.
4) Secretly replacing all of Scotto's QED soaps with jello.
5) Placing a Cow Ball Scrotum under Scotto's back bumper.

Take note that these are just things that I've heard of doing.... never, ahem, actually having done them myself, mind you.

:001_rolle

-joedy

Top Bottom