What's new

Slant Aggressiveness Ranking

I would mount the argument that the iKon Shavecraft 102 isn't really a slant, in the traditional use of the term to mean a razor with a torqued/twisted blade. It's a regular straight bar razor with the head attached a tiny bit crooked. (Yes, I know there have been others like it historically, and that it was actually modeled after one of them, and that the older ones were also often known as "slants.")

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that before we can rank slant razors in order of aggressiveness, perhaps we should define what we mean when use the term "slant."
It would seem to me any razor that has a "slanted head resulting in a slanted blade" would be considered a slant razor.

I only have experience with two slant razors: the Merkur 37c and the Krect Shave from the mid 1930's.

On a scale of 10 (maximum), with 5 being average, I would rate the Merkur 37c as a 6, and the Krect Shave as a 4.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
See list below. I don't believe there is an iKob b1 slant. I would Put the Fatip OC Slant between RR Wunderbar and ATT S2.

Mildest

1RR Stealth
2Ikon X3
3Merkur 37C
4Parker Semi Slant
5Merkur 39C
6RR37
7Ikon 102
8ATT S1(CC)
9ATT S2 (OC)
10RR Wunderbar
11Ikon B1
12Maggard slant
15Phoenix Bakelite Slant (Phoenix Artisan Accourtement "PAA")
17Yaqi Slant
18Kabrand Slant

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Mildest

1RR Stealth
2Ikon X3
3Merkur 37C
4Parker Semi Slant
5Merkur 39C
6RR37
7Ikon 102
8ATT S1(CC)
9ATT S2 (OC)
10RR Wunderbar
12Maggard slant
15Phoenix Bakelite Slant (Phoenix Artisan Accourtement "PAA")
17Yaqi Slant
18Kabrand Slant

i have been off slants for some time. I agree that the Yaqi slant is way up there, it's been quite some time since I tried the Maggard or the Ikon. Subscribing to this thread!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Maybe what I'm trying to say is that before we can rank slant razors in order of aggressiveness, perhaps we should define what we mean when use the term "slant."

If it slants by design, it's a slant. There are two kinds of slants: tilted and helical. The Shavecraft 102, PAA Alpha Ecliptic, and many of the vintage iterations are tilted slants. That's been pretty much accepted for decades.

This opens up another area of confusion, over what was meant 80-plus years ago by "Double Slant." The term depends on who used it. We know Fasan used it for their slants. The context of the German "doppelschraege" is, literally, "double" and "slant" as in "two slants" not "it's twice as slanted." The "two slants" being referenced are the two sides of what we might call now a helical slant, which appear when viewed from the side to go in two different directions.

The confusion comes over the supposed "Fasan Single Slant" and whether that's the inspiration for the PAA Bakelite OC Slant. There were two Fasan Double Slants. Both have two slanted sides as the proper translation of the name implies. One is more slanted than another; the earlier one is not quite so twisty but it's still more so than almost any other razor except its younger brother.

A "single slant" would be a razor on which both bars slanted the same direction. A tilted slant, in more modern words.

If you want to get deep in slants you end up accounting for tilted vs. helical, open comb vs. safety bar, adjustable vs. nonadjustable (only for tilted slants), and varying angles at which the edge is presented.

O.H.

Great thread with useful info on how aggressive different slants are.

I must admit I have only used the post 2016 - 37c and RR37 to date. I also find the RR37 smoother and more aggressive than the newer 37c.

I am also tempted to get a wunderbar, but the cost is stopping me. However I have ordered a Maggard slant head to try, as it is well priced.

Is there a lot of difference between the Maggard slant and wunderbar shave smoothness and closeness? I know the build quality and materials are different, but would be interested to know peoples thoughts.

As the Maggard slant head doesn't seem as popular as the Ikon, Merkur, RR and ATT slants.

The Maggard is a bit more aggressive, however a very good razor.

Just shaved with the Maggard slant with RPL blade for 3 shaves and it is a very smooth shave. To me it feels a bit milder than the German 37 but a good bit smoother.

The German 37 just seems easier to get a close 2 pass shave with. As it seems to have a wider shaving angle range than the MS. With the MS I need to do a bit more touch up work after the 2nd pass. I can get away with the MS touch ups as it is so smooth. If I chase BBS with touch ups the G37 tends to give me some neck irritation.

Will try the MS with a Nacet soon to see how that combination works. As the MS feels so smooth and doesn't feel like it will bite, if you take care.

If we ranks the Slants from mildest to most aggressive, how are you ranking them ?

The Slants subject to the ranking are as follows;

-Merkur 37C
-Merkur 39C
-Ikon 102
-Ikon X3
-Ikon B1
-FOCS
-FCCS (Fatip Close Comb Slant)
-Parker Semi Slant
-RR 37
-Maggard Slant
-Yaqi Slant

N.B. If you want to add any other Slant to the list you're welcome

My Slant experience is very limited thus my Ranking is as follows;

From Mildest to Aggressive

1- Merkur 37C
2- Merkur 39C
3- RR37
4- ?
5- ?
So the merkur slats are considered mild for a slant ?

I agree with all posts, the ranking is correct.

One thing I would like to add is that Yaqi is far more aggressive than anything I have tried. Almost impossible to make a proper ATG pass.
I will load a Voskhod next time to see what will happen.

One thing I would like to add is that Yaqi is far more aggressive than anything I have tried. Almost impossible to make a proper ATG pass.

I totally agree; "..Yaqi is far more aggressive than anything.."

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

I totally agree; "..Yaqi is far more aggressive than anything.."
I would actually disagree. The Yaqi has a lot of blade feel, and is extremely efficient, but is not particularly aggressive.

I use mine in a daily 3 pass shave with no nicks, irritation, or anything bad. Smooth sailing.

I would actually disagree. The Yaqi has a lot of blade feel, and is extremely efficient, but is not particularly aggressive.

I use mine in a daily 3 pass shave with no nicks, irritation, or anything bad. Smooth sailing.

Full respect to your experience. I tried several times Yaqi Slant and ended up by selling. As always YMMV

Top Bottom