What's new

Slant Aggressiveness Ranking

If we ranks the Slants from mildest to most aggressive, how are you ranking them ?

The Slants subject to the ranking are as follows;

-Merkur 37C
-Merkur 39C
-Ikon 102
-Ikon X3
-Ikon B1
-FOCS
-FCCS (Fatip Close Comb Slant)
-Parker Semi Slant
-RR 37
-Maggard Slant
-Yaqi Slant

N.B. If you want to add any other Slant to the list you're welcome

My Slant experience is very limited thus my Ranking is as follows;

From Mildest to Aggressive

1- Merkur 37C
2- Merkur 39C
3- RR37
4- ?
5- ?

#87, in terms of biting you like a T-rex, has to the be Yaqi.

@xiletero provided some pics

1FB8F782-6EDD-4C29-8F16-5C822F287192.jpeg

These pics are awesome but it is not contribute to the Slant Aggressiveness Chart.
We are not looking to the most Aggressive Slant, with your contributions we are trying to create "an aggressivness chart from mildest to aggressive".

The ATT S-1 is fairly mild. I would put it in the category of the Merkur 37C. The Razor Rock Stealth is milder. The Wunderbar is much more aggressive. If I were to rank the razors that I own or have owned here is my ranking from mild to aggressive:

1. RR Stealth
  2. Merkur 37C
  3. ATT S-1
  4. ATT S-2
  5. RR Wunderbar

@koenfucius post does add, as he states the Kabrand is more aggressive than the Yaqi, so you now know where to add it in the chart. And he's right, the Kabrand is more aggressive than the Yaqi, actually more aggressive than most slants.
As Fatip apparently has non-consistent quality control, all Fatiprankings are anecdotal, and won't tell us anything about the model in general.
Imho, more interesting than mild/aggressive is how much fun is a razor to shave with, or, if mild/aggressive needs to be used, it should be paired with effectiveness: a mild yet effective razor is much more useful than a mild ineffective razor.
The razors you mentioned, the Merkur 37, RR37, Parker Semi are more or less equal. Depending on how you handle the Merkur 39 it's equal as well, but can be more aggressive.
The iKon slant (with or without B1 coating) is based on the same original as the Maggard, yet the Maggard is a bit more aggressive (and more fun).
The iKon X3 is very mild and very boring.
The Yaqi is unpleasant.
The iKon 102 is a pretty nice razor.

Ranking: x3-B1-37/39/Parker-102-Maggard-Yaqi.

@koenfucius post does add, as he states the Kabrand is more aggressive than the Yaqi, so you now know where to add it in the chart. And he's right, the Kabrand is more aggressive than the Yaqi, actually more aggressive than most slants.
As Fatip apparently has non-consistent quality control, all Fatiprankings are anecdotal, and won't tell us anything about the model in general.
Imho, more interesting than mild/aggressive is how much fun is a razor to shave with, or, if mild/aggressive needs to be used, it should be paired with effectiveness: a mild yet effective razor is much more useful than a mild ineffective razor.
The razors you mentioned, the Merkur 37, RR37, Parker Semi are more or less equal. Depending on how you handle the Merkur 39 it's equal as well, but can be more aggressive.
The iKon slant (with or without B1 coating) is based on the same original as the Maggard, yet the Maggard is a bit more aggressive (and more fun).
The iKon X3 is very mild and very boring.
The Yaqi is unpleasant.
The iKon 102 is a pretty nice razor.

Ranking: x3-B1-37/39/Parker-102-Maggard-Yaqi.

Many thanks
:thumbup1:

Looking at my main slants (at least the ones I can remember from the top of my head), I would put them in 4 groups
Mild: Krect Spiral Curve (but what a beatiful razor), Mulcuto metal, Krect Gratiot
Middle category: Merkur 37C, Emir, Iro, Apollo, ...
Mid-aggressive: Mulcuto bakelite, PAA Ecliptic, Fasan
Aggressive: Yaqi, Kabrand

I prefer the middle and mid-aggressive categories.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I would mount the argument that the iKon Shavecraft 102 isn't really a slant, in the traditional use of the term to mean a razor with a torqued/twisted blade. It's a regular straight bar razor with the head attached a tiny bit crooked. (Yes, I know there have been others like it historically, and that it was actually modeled after one of them, and that the older ones were also often known as "slants.")

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that before we can rank slant razors in order of aggressiveness, perhaps we should define what we mean when use the term "slant."

I would mount the argument that the iKon Shavecraft 102 isn't really a slant, in the traditional use of the term to mean a razor with a torqued/twisted blade. It's a regular straight bar razor with the head attached a tiny bit crooked. (Yes, I know there have been others like it historically, and that it was actually modeled after one of them, and that the older ones were also often known as "slants.")

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that before we can rank slant razors in order of aggressiveness, perhaps we should define what we mean when use the term "slant."

Good point, I may define Slant
- a shaving razor with a torqued/twisted blade serve to move as a guillotine and
- instead of chopping the hair, a system which is slicing

I am not institing on my definition, I'll be happy to hear any other (including your) Slant definition as well.

After having a general consensus on slant definition, we may decide together if Ikon 102 falls within the slant area or not.

Thanks again for your contribution, it is realy make me re-think about slant definition.

My rankings of slants that I have starting from most aggressive to mild.
1. Ikon X3
2. FOCS
3. RR German 37
4. ATT S1
5. Krect Gratiot
6. Zigler open comb

Many thanks for your contributions.
Up to now, I read various forum(s) treats and collect the slant agrressivness data. By way of bringing together all data I made the following basic chart from the mildest to the aggressive.
@Gatts May I ask you to put Krect Gratiot and Zigler Open Comb to the right place ? I need also a hand for Fatip Slants (FOCS and FCCS)
Please feel free to change the places of the slants as per your experinces.

My initial chart is as follows;

Mildest
1RR Stealth
2Ikon X3
3Merkur 37C
4Parker Semi Slant
5Merkur 39C
6RR37
7Ikon 102
8ATT S1(CC)
9ATT S2 (OC)
10RR Wunderbar
11Ikon B1
12Maggard slant
15Phoenix Bakelite Slant (Phoenix Artisan Accourtement "PAA")
17Yaqi Slant
18Kabrand Slant

Aggressive

Looking at my main slants (at least the ones I can remember from the top of my head), I would put them in 4 groups
Mild: Krect Spiral Curve (but what a beatiful razor), Mulcuto metal, Krect Gratiot
Middle category: Merkur 37C, Emir, Iro, Apollo, ...
Mid-aggressive: Mulcuto bakelite, PAA Ecliptic, Fasan
Aggressive: Yaqi, Kabrand

I prefer the middle and mid-aggressive categories.

@koenfucius Many thanks for your contribution please feel free to change the ranking of slants on my list add yours on the right place/rank.

I only have the Parker Semi-Slant, but, in my opinion, it's not an aggressive razor at all. Gives a beautiful shave though. Thinking it would be towards the top of the slant razor list as being on the mild side.

Fine has a slant razor also...check this thread that Cal started:

Fine Slant Razor (polished aluminum) I’M IN LOVE - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fine-slant-razor-polished-aluminum-im-in-love.595217/

Very interesting piece!

@JCarr Thanks for reminding Fine Slant, by the way where I may put the Fine Slant on my initial and very basic Chart ?

Mildest

1RR Stealth
2Ikon X3
3Merkur 37C
4Parker Semi Slant
5Merkur 39C
6RR37
7Ikon 102
8ATT S1(CC)
9ATT S2 (OC)
10RR Wunderbar
11Ikon B1
12Maggard slant
17Yaqi Slant
18Kabrand Slant

Aggressive

That's funny, I don't find the yaqi unpleasant at all. It's certainly no worse than the R41. But always remember everybody is different...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
@JCarr Thanks for reminding Fine Slant, by the way where I may put the Fine Slant on my initial and very basic Chart ?

Mildest

1RR Stealth
2Ikon X3
3Merkur 37C
4Parker Semi Slant
5Merkur 39C
6RR37
7Ikon 102
8ATT S1(CC)
9ATT S2 (OC)
10RR Wunderbar
11Ikon B1
12Maggard slant
17Yaqi Slant
18Kabrand Slant

Aggressive

Not sure what to tell you. Cal, in his post, says it's more aggressive than the Fatip Slant. But I don't see the Fatip slant on your list yet. Perhaps when you find a spot for that, you can place the Fine Slant razor beneath it.

Not sure what to tell you. Cal, in his post, says it's more aggressive than the Fatip Slant. But I don't see the Fatip slant on your list yet. Perhaps when you find a spot for that, you can place the Fine Slant razor beneath it.

@JCarr you are right, I intentionnaly did not place FOCS and FCCS into the chart, because I don't have any experience with these Slants. Please feel free to change the spot of the Slants. Once I found a spot for Fatip(s) I'll follow your advice.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not all of us have used everything on the lists. Also, what's "aggressive" to you may be "friendly" to me. Or vice versa.

The slants I have personally used ranked from "too mild" to "least mild." [grin]

iKon X3: too mild
Parker Semi-Slant: smooth but bland
Merkur 37: mild
RazoRock German 37: smoother than Merkur 37 ATG
Above the Tie S2: perfect
RazoRock Wunderbar: smooth, aggressive
Fasan Double Slant (all-metal): aggressive

Honourable Mention: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Oxblood Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic. This is the only tilted slant on my list, and one that I've had troubles with. I intend to return to it with some different approaches, but at the moment I would have to say "too aggressive for me" and admit that's also not the most informed or charitable opinion of it. If PAA ever starts making razors again I'll pick up another one (my third :lol:) as well as a BOCS and give them a whirl.

O.H.

Top Bottom