What's new

Slant Aggressiveness Ranking

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
@Old Hippie you have a Rex Konsul adjustable slant what do you think of it as a slant razor (how do you place a adjustable on this list??)

It may be that an adjustable slant isn't a good match to a list of non-adjustable razors. On the other hand, there aren't that many adjustable slants out there, so any comparisons would be pretty thin if we put them in a separate category. (sigh)

To your question, though, I like the Konsul immensely. I have slants that can shave as well. The Wunderbar is a stellar shaver with, as we who use it know, a few "teeth" that it shows occasionally. It gets right down to the skin if used carefully. It'll get right down to the skin even if you use it like a weed-whip. :) The X1, setting aside the different format for a moment, is a milder razor than the Wunderbar but can also deliver that smooth skin.

The Wunderbar and X1 work best for me in different contexts. If it's been a few days and I'm starting to look like Yasser Arafat the Wunderbar is the tool I grab first. If it's a normal-to-one-day-longer-than-normal shave (meaning two to four days) the X1 seems to deliver with a little less trepidation. The difference for me is my skin. If I've been shaving it regularly a milder razor is less likely to irritate. (Even though irritation is a pretty mild condition in my case.)

Granting that an adjustable razor doesn't adjust all the variables between a mild and aggressive setting, the Konsul can be dialled down to a quite mild shave. "1" is too mild for me but "2" is just right for those areas that can be sensitive. If the whole shave was that mild I'd be putting the thing on the BST, but as they used to say on TV: "Wait; there's more!" Cranking it wide open to "6.5" gives me a Wunderbar-like shave that I usually use WTG. In the midrange it's got some room to adjust; I use "3" for a gentle-but-efficient shave in some areas, "4" for an efficient-but-gentle shave in others.

I'm currently thinking of the Konsul as being functionally equivalent to three well-known slants: the Wunderbar, the 37c (or G37) and the X1. This is great for me because in one shave I can profit from using all three settings in different conditions. It's also an amusing observation that while I could simply use all three of those instead of the Konsul and get the same shave, the Konsul clocks in cheaper than buying new examples of the three, even if I swap the G37 for the 37C.

But I've got all of them now so I have lotsa options!

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It may be that an adjustable slant isn't a good match to a list of non-adjustable razors. On the other hand, there aren't that many adjustable slants out there, so any comparisons would be pretty thin if we put them in a separate category. (sigh)

To your question, though, I like the Konsul immensely. I have slants that can shave as well. The Wunderbar is a stellar shaver with, as we who use it know, a few "teeth" that it shows occasionally. It gets right down to the skin if used carefully. It'll get right down to the skin even if you use it like a weed-whip. :) The X1, setting aside the different format for a moment, is a milder razor than the Wunderbar but can also deliver that smooth skin.

The Wunderbar and X1 work best for me in different contexts. If it's been a few days and I'm starting to look like Yasser Arafat the Wunderbar is the tool I grab first. If it's a normal-to-one-day-longer-than-normal shave (meaning two to four days) the X1 seems to deliver with a little less trepidation. The difference for me is my skin. If I've been shaving it regularly a milder razor is less likely to irritate. (Even though irritation is a pretty mild condition in my case.)

Granting that an adjustable razor doesn't adjust all the variables between a mild and aggressive setting, the Konsul can be dialled down to a quite mild shave. "1" is too mild for me but "2" is just right for those areas that can be sensitive. If the whole shave was that mild I'd be putting the thing on the BST, but as they used to say on TV: "Wait; there's more!" Cranking it wide open to "6.5" gives me a Wunderbar-like shave that I usually use WTG. In the midrange it's got some room to adjust; I use "3" for a gentle-but-efficient shave in some areas, "4" for an efficient-but-gentle shave in others.

I'm currently thinking of the Konsul as being functionally equivalent to three well-known slants: the Wunderbar, the 37c (or G37) and the X1. This is great for me because in one shave I can profit from using all three settings in different conditions. It's also an amusing observation that while I could simply use all three of those instead of the Konsul and get the same shave, the Konsul clocks in cheaper than buying new examples of the three, even if I swap the G37 for the 37C.

But I've got all of them now so I have lotsa options!

O.H.
Great review @Old Hippie , I guess I picked the right fellow to give a decent review for such a interesting razor. Glade your enjoying the Konsul, I heard it was smooth razor and where it would go on the list I not sure where it would go because it covers so many levels of aggression and comfort all in one.
Might have to make a addendum to the list for unique adjustable razors or something like that !
Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom