What's new

Skip the WTG!

As a daily shaver with medium beard growth, I just discovered I don't need a 3-pass shave for a DFS! That wonderful pre-shave and initial lather is wasted on a WTG. I just immediately went into a XTG the ATG pass...and got the same wonderful shave as I always do!
Of course, if you are a neanderthal (or seek BBS) this probably wouldn't work...but, I believe for most guys it would yield a DFS! ;)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
But that would mean that my shave would be quicker and I would spend less time face lathering! Why would I want to do that? I often do a fourth pass for no other reason than that I enjoy it. I wish I could shave twice a day 🤣 Of course if you are in a hurry then it might be worth a try 👍

But that would mean that my shave would be quicker and I would spend less time face lathering! Why would I want to do that? I often do a fourth pass for no other reason than that I enjoy it. I wish I could shave twice a day 🤣 Of course if you are in a hurry then it might be worth a try 👍
Point counter-point! 😉 I enjoy lathering more than shaving anyhow, so maybe I’ll just lather my face for a half an hour and then do the two pass technique that I just discovered 😂

With work I more often than not find myself shaving every other day. With that being said I've found that with an initial WTG and a second ATC with more of a diagonal slant than truly across usually results in a DFS that holds up pretty well. So you are not alone in discovering that variety in technique can yield great results 👍🏻... Looks like I'll give your version a try tonight.

I'm considering this. My first N-S pass is pretty much just warmup. When I used a cart I only did one AGT (except WTG upper lip) and then come back for a final quick AGT on the upper lip. Unless I forgot, in which case I'd be grumpy all day.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I'm considering this. My first N-S pass is pretty much just warmup. When I used a cart I only did one AGT (except WTG upper lip) and then come back for a final quick AGT on the upper lip. Unless I forgot, in which case I'd be grumpy all day.
Agreed, my first WTG pass seems to take almost nothing off. I must be doing something wrong as many YouTube shavers achieve BBS with a single WTG pass. This is especially true if they are using a poor quality, cheaply made, overpriced, Chinese knock off razor, which they have received for free from a shave club. Amazing 🤣

I use the same razor/blade/brush/soap 5-6 days a week, which has made my shaves quite efficient. I do a WTG pass followed by a hybrid ATG-XTG pass, and 90% of the time my neck only needs/gets one pass. This gets me to my standard for a great shave-- soft, smooth, and smellin' good aka SSSG. I rarely need touchups, especially if I'm going 24-36 hours between shaves.

Agreed, my first WTG pass seems to take almost nothing off. I must be doing something wrong as many YouTube shavers achieve BBS with a single WTG pass. This is especially true if they are using a poor quality, cheaply made, overpriced, Chinese knock off razor, which they have received for free from a shave club. Amazing [emoji1787]
I cant believe people who say they get bbs with a wtg pass. You can get a dfs with an efficient razor but if you feel your face atg you'll feel prickly. I will say almost any razor should get 80-90%+ on the wtg pass.

Fayiz D.

I do find WTG then a ATG in both directions is the most comfy and DFS with NO irritation on most blades its when I go ATG the blades start to show what they do and my face decides if its OK or not :)
Greying hair has made it much harsher :)

That's what I do on my head shaves with certain razors. My most efficient razors (Stirling ST, R41, and a few adjustables) give me a DFS with a single WTG pass. With some of my other razors (Blackbird, ATT H1, Super Adjustable) I get the same results with a single XTG pass. I never go ATG. Too prone to irritation and ingrowns.

Tried skipping WTG on my cheeks, and got a comfortable and acceptable DFS with 2 passes (approximately XTG, then ATG).

Neck growth patterns don't break down in a simple way, but two passes (mostly WTG and XTG, then mostly ATG and XTG) gets an acceptable result.

I've learned not to chase perfect neck results.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah...what works for you; works for you. Good on you for hitting that!

I've recently started doing two WTG passes before going ATG. It's a trick I picked up from the SR and barber straight shavers -- get as much of the easy stuff out of the way as you can. Even at that one of the razors that I'm doing a long-term review on right now was still hard going ATG for various technical reasons related to the design. I modified my ATG to "shave up; work down" or in other words to start at the top and "nibble" my way down going ATG. Slow, but it lets me shave with a razor I don't think I'll keep much longer.

Always be ready to try something new. We're all trying to find ways to shave a diversity of faces and heads!

O.H.

Top Bottom