What's new

Skincare Clinic

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread to dispel some common skin myths: Myth #1 SAUNAS AND PERSPIRATION THROUGH EXERCISE CLEAN THE SKIN - Dirt, impurities and clogged pores occur in the hair follicle. They are the result of a mixture produced by the oil and cells present in the hair follicle. Cleansing the skin means eliminating impurities from these pores. Perspiration is not a cleanser. At best, it may help clean the tiny opening of the SWEAT pores, but perspiration will not cleanse the pore made by the hair follicle, the pores through which oil is secreted.

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
Thanks, Austin. Stay tuned for "The Skin Breathes." :)

I think I saw that at the drive in back in the '70's! Nicole, thanks for posting. Nothing like good information!

Randy

Put your hand over your mouth and your nose and see how long you can do this. We breathe air into our lungs w/c is then circulated about the body by the blood stream. The skin does respire - it uses some oxygen from the blood stream and does create some carbon dioxide, but only on the inside! The skin in fact uses very little oxygen compared to the other organs and prefers to do its metabolic thing w/o the help of oxygen (anaerobic metabolism.) Many clients have expressed their hesitancy about using a nite cream (if they tend to be dry for example,) because their skin has to breathe. Now that we have debunked this idea, go ahead and apply as the skin loses more moisture at nite. The supposed means of getting air into the skin is through the pores and we'll be addressing these mysterious little openings in the skin in the next post.

Put your hand over your mouth and your nose and see how long you can do this. We breathe air into our lungs w/c is then circulated about the body by the blood stream. The skin does respire - it uses some oxygen from the blood stream and does create some carbon dioxide, but only on the inside! The skin in fact uses very little oxygen compared to the other organs and prefers to do its metabolic thing w/o the help of oxygen (anaerobic metabolism.) Many clients have expressed their hesitancy about using a nite cream (if they tend to be dry for example,) because their skin has to breathe. Now that we have debunked this idea, go ahead and apply as the skin loses more moisture at nite. The supposed means of getting air into the skin is through the pores and we'll be addressing these mysterious little openings in the skin in the next post.
Slow down. I'm still holding my hand over my mouth and nose.:smile:

OK, Kyle. . .now, exhale. . .that's it. Just stay like that. . .that's good. . .hold it. . .I'll be right back. . .I'm just going to grab a quick drink. . .or 2. . .or 3:a54:

Gents,

I had the pleasure of conversing with Nicole of Gents, LLC. She sent me the proverbial Mother Load of samples, which arrived today!

I think she sent me 1 (or 2) of just about her entire stock! I will post a review as soon as I use them, especially the shea butter cream.

Later!

rtaylor61 said:
I think I saw that at the drive in back in the '70's! Nicole, thanks for posting. Nothing like good information!

Randy

you told me, that you missed most of that one....all you saw was the black naugahyde of a 70 chevelle....with fog on the windows....:w00t:

A question that certainly begs a diagram http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/anatomy/skin/ - scroll down a bit on that page. Skin pores are actually openings in the top of the skin that hook onto just two structures inside the skin, sweat glands and sebaceous (oil) glands. THEY NEVER GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE SKIN, as some people believe. They are merely little pipes that let things out of the skin, not into the skin. (Though some materials applied to the skin may travel along the sides of these pipes down to the glands, air is not one of these materials.) We are also born with a pore size which is determined by genetics. If the pores become enlarged, they cannot be reduced to a size w/c is any smaller than the diameter of the genetic pore. If the pores become enlarged, they cannot be reduced to a size w/c is any smaller than the diameter of the genetic pore. This is not a typo and it would certainly behoove those who are "pore obsessed" to reread this statement and repeat before bedtime :) Now Randy, back at the drive-in...certain pores are the openings for hair follicles, each of which has a muscle attached to it, an erector pilli muscle. It is the contraction of this muscle that gives us goosebumps! In relation to shaving, massaging in the cream or shaving soap plumps up the erector pilli muscle, which serves to push the facial hairs up for the cut. Have a great holiday all-

mark the shoeshine boy said:
you told me, that you missed most of that one....all you saw was the black naugahyde of a 70 chevelle....with fog on the windows....:w00t:
Hey Mark,
You been takin' niagra for your erector piles too??:yikes:

Your skin is the first barrier against immunological aggressors, thanks to the Langerhans cells. These cells are formed in your bone marrow and migrate to the skin. As the major immune cell of the skin, their job is to engulf foreign bodies, carrying them to the lymphatic system for process and elimination. They are extemely important in maintaining the body's integrity and may also play a role in locating and eliminating abnormal growths. Unfortunately, they are ultraviolet radiation (UVR) sensitive, and are easily harmed by UVR. So next time you're thinking about applying sunscreen to either avoid a sunburn or for antiaging purposes (the sun is responsible for about 70%), think about protecting your immunity, as the Langerhans cells are the key sentinel on your skin.

Your skin is the first barrier against immunological aggressors, thanks to the Langerhans cells. These cells are formed in your bone marrow and migrate to the skin. As the major immune cell of the skin, their job is to engulf foreign bodies, carrying them to the lymphatic system for process and elimination. They are extemely important in maintaining the body's integrity and may also play a role in locating and eliminating abnormal growths. Unfortunately, they are ultraviolet radiation (UVR) sensitive, and are easily harmed by UVR. So next time you're thinking about applying sunscreen to either avoid a sunburn or for antiaging purposes (the sun is responsible for about 70%), think about protecting your immunity, as the Langerhans cells are the key sentinel on your skin.

Nicole is there such a thing as in different races behave differently towards exposure of UVR. I would think black people in Africa are less prone to UVR sesitivity then white people in Sweden , and mexicans are again less so I think I mean skin color does that protect you ? I never wear sunscreens though I never go out in the sun either..or the beach

I apologize for the delay in replying to your post. It's true that the darker the natural skin color, the more melanin the skin has to protect itself. Melanin is found in the skin and is your first line of defense against the sun. It absorbs UV rays in an attempt to limit damage. Although a darker skin will not sunburn as easily as someone who is fair and there is less of an incidence of skin cancer, there can still be a risk of skin damage from excess sun exposure. You can still be at risk for premature skin aging (including wrinkles and uneven skin pigmentation.) I think that you were trying to state that you don't "take sun" per se. Problem is that sun exposure is cumulative. The walk to the car, walking the dog, walking to the store, etc. It all adds up over decades and this is how the damage becomes evident. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use an SPF15 IMO.

Top Bottom