What's new

Skin stretching = solution to neck irritation?

There's this one spot on my neck that, no matter how carefully or how gently I safety-shave (or how many times I re-map the grain there), always gets at least bumps & irritation, and usually nicks, too. And even then, I'd barely shave it...just enough not to have a half-neck-beard. I'd noticed that I never seemed to get irritation there straight shaving, though.

Also, per Mantic's video, I had been avoiding stretching my skin while safety shaving...it seemed unnecessary and cumbersome, and, if Mantic said it, it had to be right, right?

Well, today, I tried an experiment...on that area, I stretched my skin like I would straight shaving, but I used my Gillette NEW with an Iridium. Lo and behold...no irritation! A clean shave, three passes (WTG-XTG-ATG), and no red bumps, even two hours later. (Well, maybe one or two little ones, but not the looks-like-chicken-pox situation I normally have.) I guess Mantic was wrong on this one...skin stretching might come in handy on safety shaving sometimes.

Great tip, as wet shaving is always a YMMV activity and if you found something that works for you, go for it! Mantic is a great asset to the wet shaving community, but I realized he was a man not a god when he said he did not like face lathering :lol::lol::lol: Thanks Shavely Manden and Mantic.

This might be a good tip for newer shavers who have not figured out how to shave their neck. That always seems to be a big problem area for everyone.

I always tilt my head back as far possible for neck shaving. It's when I'm in a rush and forget, that's when the irritation occurs.

David

This just makes sense. While I stretch sometimes I will do the same as I would on a straight shave.

Thanks for the infprmation.

Until now, I've found that stretching has only increased irritation. Especially against the grain. My beard grows both ways sideways from the adam's apple, so that's a hassle in itself.

I've been trying now to press my chin towards my chest (when you look crazy stupid and way fatter than you are) so that my skin isn't tight at all. This actually seems to help loads when I go ATG.

Then again, I can only seem to get an irritation free BBS when my skin is oily from a few days without shaving.

I stretch the skin to shave my neck also, if i dont i never end up with a comfortable shave there.

I do the opposite on my jawline/cheeks though, i touch my chest with my chin to make the skin as loose as possible, then i am able to go ATG on my cheek/jawline without drawing blood.

I have a similar problem, on mine is that I cant get a clean shave in my neck area, regardless of which angle I come in at. A bit of stretching helps, but I still have clean it all up.

I have a spot on the right side of my neck that is the same way. I keep a beard and only shave my neck and mustache, and those areas happen to be the only two where my hair grows every which way. I guess I'm just lucky like that.

Last edited:
Also, per Mantic's video, I had been avoiding stretching my skin while safety shaving...it seemed unnecessary and cumbersome, and, if Mantic said it, it had to be right, right?

I guess Mantic was wrong on this one...skin stretching might come in handy on safety shaving sometimes.

I fell into the same trap. But, a little light stretching on my neck fixes a lot of bad problems.

The grain of my neck hair is left to right. I have given up trying to shave right to left (against the grain). I see no point anyway.
I simply shave 1 pass down and 1 pass up. Anything left on my neck requires a hard rub against the grain to detect anyway. In the warmer months when I tend to sweat more...Shaving against the grain can create a major rash anyway.
As time goes on and I only shave 2 passes, my whiskers seems to have gotten used to it to the point that I know I am getting closer shaves than I used to anyway. Cheeks and chin are always BBS. So no complaints from the Wifey Pooh.

BTW...Tilting my head back is all the stretching I need to shave my neck.

I find that stretching my skin slightly helps to hold the skin surface in place when the DE razor edge moves over it. This keep the razor angle and pressure constant for the razor to complete a uniform stroke...so..why not? traditional shaving is a fine art and these are its intricacies

Top Bottom