What's new

Skin nourishing

Best skin nourishing soaps available.

Ive got Wholly Kaw and declaration grooming ( both new base ) which i feel have some great ingredients.

And i have the new grooming dept soap and pre shave ordered.

What other artisans do you feel put the best ingredients into their soaps, pre shave and post shaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica and I would place it in the same league as Wholly kaw, Declaration, Grooming Department, Noble Otter, all of which I have in rotation. I was surprised for a veggie non tallow soap to have such a silky smooth glide. My next soap purchase will be another Saponificio or I may try a MdC.

For me, post shave conditioning is a very important important part of the shaving experience. The ddddddsoaps that I find to be among the best in this aspect are:

Traditional soaps: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac
Artisan soaps:
Ariana and Evans, especially the formula with yogurt
Barrister and Mann, especially the Excelsior and Reserve formulas
Chiseled Face- overall performance is not elite, but the postshave is.
Cold River Soap Works- Glide formula
Declaration Grooming- all bases
Grooming Department- all bases
Murphy and McNeil- Aon and Kodiak
Noble Otter
Oleo Soapworks- Canard
Wholly Kaw- all bases
Zingari Man

So as you can see, there are quite a few artisans who have really focused on post-shave moisturizing and conditioning, especially with their most recent formulas. Although some of the soaps above are more expensive than others, even the least expensive are good.

If you know you have a sensitivity to lanolin, be sure to check the ingredients as many of the soaps do contain lanolin. It is the inclusion of lanolin that makes Mitchell's Wool Fat soap so good. Although the soap was first made in 1892, apparently the current formula dates back to the early 1930s.

All the soaps that have been mentioned are known to have great nourishing performance.

I'd add Mystic Waters and Sudsy Soapery to the this list.

All the soaps that have been mentioned are known to have great nourishing performance.

I'd add Mystic Waters and Sudsy Soapery to the this list.

I have not tried Mystic Waters, so it was not included in my list.

I have tried a number of samples of The Sudsy Soapery. Nearly all of them burn my face due to ingredients like lime, lemon, grapefruit, peppermint, and black pepper. About the only scents I could use without burning were almond & vanilla and cola. Thus, I have a difficult time recommending TSS soaps.

Ray presents an excellent list !. I have not used all the soaps he mentions. Of those I have experience

with, I would certainly agree with A & E

Declaration Grooming (Milksteak)

Murphy & McNeil (Same base's he mentions)

Wholly Kaw ( Same bases he mentions. I am particularly fond of the
Bufala base and the new Siero Base)

Would add:

Tallow+Steel - I certainly realize that scents are "subjective". The
V3 base is outstanding. The T+S LTD Editions are
something special imo.

I would also add Eufros and Talbot. However, difficult to acquire.

I Have read many positive things about The Grooming Dept.

Have a tub of B&M on order

Good Luck

Im not a fan of Arian & evans.

Might have to give it a try again though.

Ray presents an excellent list !. I have not used all the soaps he mentions. Of those I have experience

with, I would certainly agree with A & E

Declaration Grooming (Milksteak)

Murphy & McNeil (Same base's he mentions)

Wholly Kaw ( Same bases he mentions. I am particularly fond of the
Bufala base and the new Siero Base)

Would add:

Tallow+Steel - I certainly realize that scents are "subjective". The
V3 base is outstanding. The T+S LTD Editions are
something special imo.

I would also add Eufros and Talbot. However, difficult to acquire.

I Have read many positive things about The Grooming Dept.

Have a tub of B&M on order

Good Luck

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have tried at least one of each of the soaps I recommended, often more than one. I could be satisfied using any one of them.

In an effort to fill out my collection of top soap bases, I picked up a tub of Tallow and Steel recently. I had heard good things about performance, but I have heard so much controversy concerning the scents that I hesitated in making the purchase. My wife confiscated the package, so I won't get to try it until after Christmas. I got the West Indies scent which is supposed to be orange based.

Talbot Shaving is supposed to have a release tomorrow December 9. I have not been able to get my hands on one of their soaps, so I hope I can grab one before they sell out.

Im not a fan of Arian & evans.

Might have to give it a try again though.

Ariana and Evans has several products worth trying. For me, the best one is the formulation called The Club.

A&E also has a couple of unusual shaving products that you might consider if you do not like the usual offerings. One is called Face Spackle and the other is called Shave Serum. The Face Spackle is designed to be a economical shave cream to be released to the mass market, even through outlets like Amazon. Many shave serums are designed to be used as a post-shave product, but this one is a shave cream that can be used with or without a brush. I have not used either one of these products, so I cannot give a personal recommendation.

The GD Nai base (Aion) provides me the greatest post-shave experience I’ve ever had.

I have Aion on order, but it has not yet come in. The Nai base is loaded with ingredients designed to nourish the skin, so I am not surprised by your experience. I am anxiously looking forward to arrival of my Aion. I have not yet seen any reviews of the Nai formulation on YouTube, but when it is reviewed, I suspect it will be at or near the top of the list for performance. With the Nai formula, scents are not supposed to be a significant factor as they are with other Grooming Department formulas.

Great list!

I would add Haslinger’s schafmilch and MWF which are two of my favorite ‘winter’ soaps!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Acqua di Parma
ABC both hard and cream (and the balms are the best)
I Coloniali Mango Oil (another top shelf balm too)
XPEC
Pre de Provence
Feather Hi Shave (brushless, clear)

Ariana and Evans has several products worth trying. For me, the best one is the formulation called The Club.

A&E also has a couple of unusual shaving products that you might consider if you do not like the usual offerings. One is called Face Spackle and the other is called Shave Serum. The Face Spackle is designed to be a economical shave cream to be released to the mass market, even through outlets like Amazon. Many shave serums are designed to be used as a post-shave product, but this one is a shave cream that can be used with or without a brush. I have not used either one of these products, so I cannot give a personal recommendation.

Ive tried the serum and i had a slight burning. Not sure why but ive also had it with stirling.

Great list!

I would add Haslinger’s schafmilch and MWF which are two of my favorite ‘winter’ soaps!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are you recommending the older tallow formulation of Haslinger or the new vegan formula. I have not tried the tallow formula, but was less than impressed with the new formulation.

Although a traditional soap, MWF holds it own quite well when compared with the best artisan soaps.

Last edited:
Are you recommending the older tallow formulation of Haslinger or the new vegan formula. I have not tried the tallow formula, but was less than impressed with the new formulation.

Although a traditional soap, MWF holds it own quite well when compared with the best artisan soaps.

I prefer the ’tallow’ version. The vegan is good but their old version is even better IMO.

Top Bottom