What's new

skin is messed up

after shaving more frequently ~ 1.5-2 days between,
my skin now is pretty sensitive to touch (even more sensitive than before)
and there are some sort of brownish-red splotches here and there, mostly in the cheek area that dont seem to go away...
should i take a break ?
should i use some kind of cream ?

How new to this form of shaving are you? The face usually has a period of adjustment when converting from cartridge to de shaving, and it is possible you are still in this period and your face has not gotten used to the idea of having such a close shave. It could be other problems though, are you shaving against the grain? It sounds like the skin irritation one usually gets from shaving against the grain without the proper care. This could be a problem with your previous passes, your knowledge of the grain of hair growth on your face, razor sharpness, soap lubricity, etc... It could also simply be that your razor/blade is too agressive for your beard/face combo.

Could you give us some more information so we can narrow things down a bit?

well since everyones got something different which works i figured to skip that part.
i usually shaved every 3 days, wtg then against the grain (with some repetition depending on area)
shower, KOS, shave, nivea creme (no alcohol), gillette adjustable @ 1 + feathers.

worked great until i increased frequency of shaves... this is the 3rd week of this
indeed i am going more against the grain because otherwise it looks like i shaved yesterday...
but i always keep the skin lubed i dont repeat shave if its not slippery
not bleeding, no nicks, just these irritated? areas

For me, I've found that the irritation (I've had the same thing) was more prominent and appeared more often if I used specific creams. Staying away from those creams and using a soap worked wonders.

Using those creams in a superlather with the soap worked even better. Just an option or two to try out. It could be the cream that's causing a problem, or it could be what everyone else is telling you, I'm newer to this than most people are, and I don't know very much but there are my thoughts.

worked great until i increased frequency of shaves... this is the 3rd week of this
indeed i am going more against the grain because otherwise it looks like i shaved yesterday...

Isn't looking like you shaved yesterday better than looking than having shaved three days ago and having blotches?

In all seriousness, I'm no expert, but it sounds like you're skipping straight to against the grain and not doing any beard reduction first. If I were you, I'd try a week of just with the grain and then across the grain.

And from reading some of the comments on the board... maybe something less aggressive than feather blades.

Perhaps indeed only WTG/XTG for a while. Try to switch creams and perhaps milder blade. For myself decreasing the shave frequency usually doesn't work, as more stubble required more shaving, giving more irritation. Daily shaving but not very close with a mild setup usually calms down the skin.

can it be that i was re-applying aftershave cream the following days which didnt allow my skin to heal? ... but the neck doesnt seem to mind ...

I shouldn't think so. If anything I would assume that the aftershave cream should have helped not hindered...
Could be wrong though, don't quote me on it.

well since everyones got something different which works i figured to skip that part.
i usually shaved every 3 days, wtg then against the grain (with some repetition depending on area)
shower, KOS, shave, nivea creme (no alcohol), gillette adjustable @ 1 + feathers.

but i always keep the skin lubed i dont repeat shave if its not slippery
not bleeding, no nicks, just these irritated? areas

Even though I only shave ATG with properly lubricated skin I can still get sever irritation from it. I think the best thing to do is substitute XTG passes for your usual ATG.

How new to this form of shaving are you? The face usually has a period of adjustment when converting from cartridge to de shaving, and it is possible you are still in this period and your face has not gotten used to the idea of having such a close shave.

I agree, there is peroid of skin and beard reconditioning. For some people it could be several weeks. So don't be too concerned, just do the best you can. You may want to skip a day every now and then.

Top Bottom