What's new

skin irritation

please tell me if the standard shaving and applying gel is irritation, there is some remedy for this problem:?
and the husband always has irritation after shaving near the neck

Irritation from shaving (aka razor burn) usually happens right after shaving. It can be caused by things such as 1) Not enough slickness in the lather 2) too much pressure on the razor 3) wrong angle on the razor so he is scraping the skin instead of cutting the hair 4) Shaving against the grain improperly

The neck is the area that causes the most problems for people. He should learn which direction his whiskers grow. Start by shaving only "with the grain". The shave will not be as close, but he will not get as much irritation. Later on, he can begin shaving "across the grain" to get closer. Shaving "against the grain" is not necessary if it causes irritation. Some people eventually learn how to shave against the grain, others find they can get by without doing it.

Also, he should pay attention to proper prep. Soften the whiskers for a few minutes before shaving (take a shower, wash the face, etc.)

He should pay attention to after shave, too. He can use a cold water rinse for about a minute. Have him try using witch hazel. Then, have him apply an aftershave balm which will moisturize and soothe the skin.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would suggest witch hazel, Proraso green balm, and most importantly technique. Maybe miss the ATG pass in the troublesome area or ensure very light pressure.

Does he use cartridge razors?
I ask because I use to get so much irritation when using carts, I sometimes avoided shaving for weeks. It was that bad. Once I switch to a DE, I could shave daily. Shaves were like night and day.

please tell me if the standard shaving and applying gel is irritation, there is some remedy for this problem:?
I often read that a lot of my fellow shavers suffer from the same complaint that made my shaving experience bearable at best, hell at worst.

It only took me 35 years to solve the problem that has been annoying me, and I would love to claim that I solved it myself, but the truth is I saw it somewhere on one of the many shaving tutorials I watched and decided to try it. It worked.

Turns out that for many men, myself included, the beard grows downwards from under the chin (no surprise there), but then turns 180 degrees and grows upwards for the last inch to two inches going down. Right at the most sensitive part of your neck, the bit that often burns and gets inflamed after a shave.

Why does it matter? It matters because when you shave down from under your chin, the first part is WTG, but right at the most sensitive part, it turns into ATG. If you have a sensitive skin, this is a recipe for disaster.

The solution? Very simple. I start shaving from the bottom up, until I feel the razor start hitting the ATG bit, then stop and shave down from under the chin, again stopping as soon as I feel the direction changing. Takes a bit of practise, but very soon it becomes second nature.

Second pass, I would just go straight from bottom up, to under the chin for the ATG pass. Mostly I don't bother going down again, because I don't want to risk the irritation, so yes the bottom bit is never BBS, but it is irritation free and looks much better than an inflamed turkey neck.

These days I flinch when I see the guys shaving straight down from under the chin. Each to his own, but it never worked for me.
This

WELCOME to B&B, Mme PaulaDS!!

So nice that you also ask about your husband!!

Irritation is a common shaving problem!!

The best cure is good shave preparation (preshave oil, or hot towel, or preshave soap); also practice and experience in technique to have a very light weight touch with the razor!!

Enjoy your journey!!

Irritation from shaving (aka razor burn) usually happens right after shaving. It can be caused by things such as 1) Not enough slickness in the lather 2) too much pressure on the razor 3) wrong angle on the razor so he is scraping the skin instead of cutting the hair 4) Shaving against the grain improperly

Indeed irritation can be linked to a number of factors. I remember many years ago when I was on the Gillette in-house shaving panel using experimental razors. One particular day I was asked to comment on a double edged blade; I found it to be OK. The following day I was given the same blade again; this resulted in what was still to this day one of the worst shaves I had ever had giving me really bad irritation. The difference in performance was so marked I spoke to the guy who had put the blade into the test - I assumed that the edge of the blade had somehow been damaged during the first shave. "No," he said, "the difference was on day one the handle your were using was significantly lighter than that on day two." Just the weight of the handle! Go figure!!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have found straight razors to be the very least irritating method. It takes a couple of months to learn but provides close and very comfortable shaves.

Top Bottom