What's new

Skin irritation from certain blades?

I never really gave this much thought or took it seriously. BUT... now I'm starting to wonder.

My shaving skills for some reason have much improved in the last six months or so. I have gravitated toward aggressive razors. Since Christmas (2016) I have shaved with an ATT H2, Rockwell on plate #6, MMOC with SS PTFE coated blades and an El Jefe using the Feather AC Pro blades. I have not used any other razor in this time period until the past week.

I tested my El Jefe again last week. Well, I'm not really testing the EJ, I'm testing the AC blades. I'm not thrilled with the longevity considering their expense, but that's another story. So I finished my 9th shave on the AC blade on Sunday and got my usual dull-blade-feeling shave with this number of shaves on the blade. I usually go 48 hours between shaves, but had so much stubble on Monday that I decided to break out the Rockwell and used plate #3. Great, smooth mild shave. Not super close as expected, but just right for me for a next-day shave. Hours later I noticed some skin irritation. That's weird. On such a mild shave? Two days later I decided on the Rockwell again and used plate #4. Fantastic, smooth shave. No irritation, no nicks, no weepers......until a few hours later I noticed my skin felt irritated and has some red bumps.

The Rockwell shaves were done with an Astra SP. I have read that some people get irritation from this blade, possibly from the type of coating they use. I'm now thinking this might be true. When I used to get these bumps and irritation, I would think my technique was off and it was just razor burn. I just realized I just got done shaving with El Jefe for two weeks and never got this. For four or five of the nine shaves I was using the EJ on the "aggresive setting", that is with the blade most forward. This is a very aggressive blade exposure, I think more so than the ATT H2. Then I go right to an Astra SP in a very mild razor and get a great shave with no nicks or weepers, but my skin is slightly irritated all day long. Hmmm......

So I'm looking for feedback here. Right now I only have two different blades: Astra SP and Personna Lab Blue. I will need to go back and forth between the Astra SP and some other blades.

For those of you who feel their skin reacts with Astra SP blades:
1. Have you tried Personna LB and are they OK?
2. What other blade do you like that does not give your skin any irritation?

I might have to go back to tryablade dot com and put another sample pack together. It's too bad if true. I like the way the Astra SP shaves. Not fantastic, but I'm never unhappy and the price is great. However, I've been thinking about another 100 blade purchase for something a bit better anyway. I've been doing research and have been eyeing GSB, perma-sharp super, polsilver and a few others I can't think of right now.

So if you think your skin reacts with the Astra SP, what blades do you like?

I don't know if that is the blade or not. Could be a bunch of things that could cause that. You should check out Italian Barber for Nacet or 7 o'clock green. They are on sale for dirt cheap.

I get medium irritation from Astra SP, Personna Lab blue & Sputnik blades. Supermax, Astra SS, Dorco Primes give me slight irritation but goes completely away after around 30 minutes.

The platinum or Teflon could be reacting with your skin? Personally I don't think there is enough information to determine if that is his problem. I would be more inclined to say the angle was off or too much pressure was applied or bad lather ect. Anyway the blades I mentioned are really good if you want to give them a shot.

It's possible. The only blade I've used that did this was the Derby Extra. I used to get random irritation and swollen spots on the neck that I recognized as an allergy of some sort-probably to the coating.

For me, Perma-Sharp Supers. I get bumps on my chin when I use perma-sharps. Maybe they are too sharp, as I've read where the bumps I'm seeing could be in-grown hairs, from shaving too closely.

For me, Perma-Sharp Supers. I get bumps on my chin when I use perma-sharps. Maybe they are too sharp, as I've read where the bumps I'm seeing could be in-grown hairs, from shaving too closely.
Booth BBS and DFS are considered to be
Close shaves do you consider either to be
Too close , if so which do you usually achieve..

Booth BBS and DFS are considered to be
Close shaves do you consider either to be
Too close , if so which do you usually achieve..

I don't strive for BBS. Close and comfortable is my goal, and on occasion I get a shave that impresses me with how nice it feels. I call that DFS. But I think there are times where a sharp blade, combined in a super efficient or aggressive razor, will give me an extremely close shave. Around my chin, that closeness results in bumps.

It just seems worse with Perma-Sharps. a combination of the coating on the blade with closeness? Don't know.

All of the Lord manufactured platinum or chrome plated blades I've tried have irritated my skin. They give me a pink, puffy, itchy rash. The rash, fortunately, is not severe and subsides after an hour or so. Their PTFE coated stainless blades are fine for me.

Personna Lab Blues, on the other hand, are uniquely capable of giving me a crowd of ingrown hairs; the likes of which I have not seen since hanging up my Mach 3.

Esox

I didnt know
Only two blades have given me the type of after the fact sort of irritation you mention, but also with a burning itch. Shark Super Chrome and Bic Chrome Platinum.

Astra SP can sometimes give me mild irritation but no itch. I find them a bit harsh.

Polsilver SI is my favorite blade, smooth and sharp. After my usual 2 pass + shave with a Polsilver my skin doesnt even feel like I've shaved. I liked my first shave with them so much I bought 200 before my razor was dry.

I'm noticing a strange, hot sensation with Derby Extras. I'm only two shaves in but the razor and soap are old standbys, so you may be on to something. No issues with Astra SP but they're kind of "meh" for me anyway.
The ones that really don't agree with me are Dorco 300s.

My head I can use just about anything but I stick to Astra SP because they're cheap. My face, moreso my neck, is far more picky. I get BBS in 2 passes with touchups with Gillette Platinum blades. Runner up is GSB and POLSILVER coming in 3rd.

My face doesn't like Personna anything, same for my head, moreso than most brands

How clean is the razor you are placing the new blades in to? For me personally most blades are just like the other. I do notice however that I breakout on occasion, when I swap razors and don't open the razor being put into rotation to clean it thoroughly. I also suffer from what you describe when I let form go to expedience and shave too close and at bad angles. I cant remember ever actually reacting to a blade or the material its made with, but I definitely have had razor bumps and burns.

How clean is the razor you are placing the new blades in to?

I clean my razor in the most OCD, fanatical way possible after every shave. It's not the razor, but kudos for thinking of it. We should all think a bit more holistically, IMO.

My suspicion is that when people think they have a bad blade, it's not the blade. We can't produce lather, prep, cleanup, and shaving skill as consistently as machines can turn out razor blades.

My suspicion is that when people think they have a bad blade, it's not the blade. We can't produce lather, prep, cleanup, and shaving skill as consistently as machines can turn out razor blades.

Good point.

I remember one incident in the first few months of learning to shave with a 1912 GEM. I had some BlueStar blades I was trying. I thought they were terrible. The first two shaves were just awful. Lots of weepers and irritation. I was about to toss the blade, but thought I would try one more. Fantastic shave. It wasn't the blade, it was me. I did stop using the carbon blades, however. Once I got my technique down, I discovered that I got a really great first shave and they went downhill quickly after that. This is with drying the blade right away and coating it with mineral oil. The PTFE coated blades simply beat them overall, but I still have to admit that nothing beats the first shave of a BlueStar. JMO.

I don't strive for BBS. Close and comfortable is my goal, and on occasion I get a shave that impresses me with how nice it feels. I call that DFS. But I think there are times where a sharp blade, combined in a super efficient or aggressive razor, will give me an extremely close shave. Around my chin, that closeness results in bumps.

It just seems worse with Perma-Sharps. a combination of the coating on the blade with closeness? Don't know.

I follow the same philosophy. Astras made me break out BAD, until I started doing WTG + touch up only. Still, other blades seem to be kinder to my skin, no matter what technique I use. I often use Gillette Wilkinson Swords from India, which are a stainless blade, and they result in much less irritation. Nacets and GSBs are also way kinder to my face.

Regardless of which blade I use, I occasionally get a little bit of irritation, but it's never severe and 9 times out of 10 it's just down to too much pressure, wrong angle or trying to rush things - ie old fashioned human error

BUT

Whenever I tried shaving with a Derby Extra, although they were comfortable to shave with, my face always ended up hot, red,sweaty, puffy and unbelievably itchy.
My usual cold facecloth and the alum block followed by another cold facecloth and a splash of aftershave always solved the problem within 30 minutes, it was 30 minutes of hell.

Initially I put it down to being "one of those things" because I was still developing my technique, but when I tried using a Derby again more than 6 months later - same hot, red, sweaty, puffy and itchy reaction.
No other brand of blade, before or since has ever caused that much discomfort, so IMHO it was probably a reaction to the coating on the Derby blades.

For some reason, Sputnik caused me much more irritation than anything else I've tried. It wasn't technique. I really can't account for it.

Top Bottom