What's new

Skin irritation due to soap fragrance. Never say never

Well I traded Barbershop for Margaritas in the Arctic. Heavily mentholated soap as one should expect from such a name. The ingredients list includes essential instead of fragrance oil. There will probably be a shave tomorrow, I've never had irritation with menthol so things are looking good. But I guess never say never.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well I traded Barbershop for Margaritas in the Arctic. Heavily mentholated soap as one should expect from such a name. The ingredients list includes essential instead of fragrance oil. There will probably be a shave tomorrow, I've never had irritation with menthol so things are looking good. But I guess never say never.
Good luck my friend!

Both MdC and Stirling Barbershop gave me burn, too. I surmised it was fragrance oils. Try to get some essential oil soaps — it made a huge difference for me.

Empirically, many soaps that are tan/caramel colored seem to give me a tad of burn.

Sterling Barbershop does it to me. Mama Bear Aged Spice does it too. Etc.

Not enough to get me to stop using them, but enough that I notice ...

I've had some skin irritation from a few soaps/creams. Stirling Barbershop which a few people have mentioned, but also Trumper's Limes cream which was surprising but lit me up pretty well. I loved the scent and tried to keep using it occasionally but every time I did I was sorry. Tabac didn't agree with me either, although not bad enough that I couldn't use it up eventually.

1639068465357.png

I gave Margaritas in the Arctic a go today.
The results were wonderful, did 3 passes with my Rex on setting 4, no irritation except that little spot down my neck that I kinda overbuffed.
The soap is nice to use until the cold water splash, then your whole face numbs.
Thankfully no irritation due to the fragrance (or menthol) now that the face has calmed down I can appreciate the nice post shave feel.​

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Tabac started causing my skin to itch. Felt like a dog with fleas so I had to give it up. Certainly don’t miss the scent though.

Art of Shaving Sandalwood pre-shave and soap gave no issues except feeling stickily over moisturized, but the balm turned my face deep red and felt like sunburn for a few hours later, so I passed it to my son who reports no issues — I kept the cool Wooden shave bowl though, and filled it with a puck of vintage Colgate.

I'm having this issue right now with a tub of A&E tertius. At the 2nd pass I can feel the burn coming out and the post shave is a mess of redness and bumps. :\ too bad cause it's a great soap

Years and years ago I tried a puck of EJ Sea Buckthorn and within a few shaves I was breaking out in a rash all across my shaving area (everywhere minus a goatee). I've never had any allergies, before or since, so I chalked it up to the fragrance/additives and never used it again. Haven't tried an EJ product at all since then, come to think of it, though I presume plenty of them would be fine.

I had some Stirling Executive Man and it gave me irritation so I gave it away. I liked the soap and scent too so it was a real disappointment. I would love to try some other Stirling soaps but I have put them on my Do Not Buy list for the time being.
I had an issue with Executive Man also. I've used a couple of their other shave soaps and I use their bar soaps and haven't had burning with any of them.

a couple stirling samples set me off big time I think it was executive man ? as that was one I ordered I think the other was Ben Franklin did not like it anyway :) the other samples no issues including the butter or whatever that thick body cream is also got the wife this mint foot cream also a shampoo bar and soaps it was only the AS splash that got me :)

but loved executive man smell ! if you have no issues they have great scents :) and LOTS of them :)
doubt I will get any of their stuff again as lots of options and again if no issues great scents !!!!!! so NOT a bash on them as I have known allergies and sensitivities so this happens :)

I know this was about soaps but figured I would throw that in as the scent in the splash might be in the soap to so thought it might apply :)

I can't use any Stirling Soaps & T&H, some ingredients they use gives me an allergic reaction. I just purchased the Floris 89 cream, the same thing.

I was running a reaction rate of about 50% so I had to take the decision to give up on all strongly scented artisan soaps.

After having tried around 200 soaps over the last 14 years, I've pretty much settled with a few favorites (around 20) that give enough variety to keep things fun.

Stirling Barbershop actually gives me a migraine. Something in the scent must be a trigger. Doesn’t seem to affect my skin though.

I'm one of those guys that not only has skin reactions to most strongly scented artisan soaps but also get migraines from strong scents!

Empirically, many soaps that are tan/caramel colored seem to give me a tad of burn.

Sterling Barbershop does it to me. Mama Bear Aged Spice does it too. Etc.

Not enough to get me to stop using them, but enough that I notice ...
Recently experienced this with a new soap. It was caramel in color, but then I don't react to Paganini, Leviathan, or Full Measure of Man which are also this color. Haverford is benign to me as well.

My only reactions are at the very tip of my upper lip and top of my cheeks. Interestingly I don't have any effect on my neck or elsewhere to my face. It feels like maybe the acidity is too high and I get a moderately-strong tingle which turns into a mild burning sensation immediately after lathering. I just lather my upper lip last.

I really like LOVE everything about this soap. Is it wrong that I'm looking for more ? - LoL

I'm one of those guys that not only has skin reactions to most strongly scented artisan soaps but also get migraines from strong scents!
Right there with you. Certain scents are incendiary to my sinuses

Top Bottom