What's new

Skin Care / Shave Routine

I’m a 20 year old male who shaves daily and uses a cleanser face wash daily and face mask a few times a week and am having problems with spots appearing after each time I shave and use face wash products on my face.

I was looking for some advice on good skin care products I can use before shaving and after to help prevent spot/acne appearing and some kind of moisturer to help prevent dry skin and make my skin have a more glowing effect.

Thanks

It may pay to lay off the masks and cleanser. While they do make your skin tighter, they also remove the natural goodness from the skin. I'm not sure of the science behind it bit it may just help a little.

Also you don't say what razor, blade combo you use or what your shave prep is. Sometimes milder is better when shaving as is a simple routine.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find Nivea make pretty good moisturisers and I am using a Nivea Moisturising Gel at the moment that I might put up a review on in the next few days.

I too am building up my own routine myself, but I don't want to give advice based off things I haven't tried myself. However, from what I've been told a good soap will help moisturize your skin. Lots of commercial soaps have switched to replacing the 'soap' (alkali of fatty oils) with detergents (chemicals, lots of lathering and texture chemicals) which can strip oils from your skin. Funny enough, modern soaps have created a problem they never use to have this facilitating the need for lotion and conditioner. So a good soap (note: the FDA doesn't let you call your product bar soap if it's primary cleaning process isn't via alkali salts of fatty oils—so lots of commerical soaps don't even call themselves soap on the packaging) will help your face and skin.

If you still aren't getting good moisturizer, witch hazel or lotion will help. You can find witch hazel and bulk lotion pretty cheap anywhere. But it's really up to you which works better, noting how the scent will work with your aftershave or fragrance. Witch Hazel can be used as aftershave, it smells awful but it's scent fades quickly. I do not know if it would be as nice as a proper aftershave. But you could use both.

If you're still having acne problems even with moisturizer, the answer might be washing your face more often. Anything to prevent oil buildups, any a special anti-acne product that is specifically formatted unlike witch hazel or lotion.

Hope this helps! That so far is roughtly my plan (good soap, witch hazel or lotion) and hopefully it goes well for both of us.

+1 on real soap. For facial soaps look at Savon de Marseille or Nablus or Aleppo soap. Sulphur soap is also great for acne.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
What shave products are you using?

Have you tried a vitamin E enriched glycerine soap? Might want to try it as a pre shave soap and a general every day facial soap. Go easy on masks etc that can strip out the natural oils of your skin (thus making your skin produce more).

Top Bottom