What's new

Skin Bracer: glass vs plastic

I’m not a chemist but I do notice a difference in Glass vs bottle....
However, here’s my problem the glass brand new/just opened is from 1993 (I’m fairly certain) and the plastic I bought in 2020. Well I just love the glass over plastic (plastic looks super cheap).
However, the smell is different: glass -the first smell is alcohol then a light brisker Menthol/medicinal scent...whereas the plastic scent just hits you with spearmint. Does the sent degrade over time? 1993 was almost 30 years ago.
I got a glass Aqua Velva and compared it to plastic and noticed the same thing.
The new stuff is obnoxious. However a weird thing happened.
E286BAC3-9840-4FBC-94AD-24F629AEC783.jpeg

SB glass > AV glass
AV plastic > SB plastic
8D7899E2-C067-4C42-9B49-AA32063241AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Were the old glass bottles never opened and have a seal on them? Were they sitting in direct sunlight?

Just thinking with regards to whiskey. Direct sunlight (perhaps even any "yellow" light if long enough?) can impact that taste. I'd imagine the same could be said of AS. And while a whiskey that is corked isn't likely to "evaporate", I don't believe AS bottles have the same sealing capability as a bottle of whiskey.

Why am I thirsty now? 🤣 🥃

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
However, here’s my problem the glass brand new/just opened is from 1993 (I’m fairly certain) and the plastic I bought in 2020. Well I just love the glass over plastic (plastic looks super cheap).
However, the smell is different: glass -the first smell is alcohol then a light brisker Menthol/medicinal scent...whereas the plastic scent just hits you with spearmint. Does the sent degrade over time? 1993 was almost 30 years ago.
View attachment 1132751
SB glass > AV glass
AV plastic > SB plastic
View attachment 1132753
I wonder if the formulas have changed?

Thanks for the post! Really interesting!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am using a vintage Skin Bracer from 1972. While the scent list is the same, there are variables in smell, due to replacements of natural ingredients with newer synthetic ingredients. I like both, vintage and modern.

I’m a proraso Guy- that’s my ultimate fave.
However, domestic I used to say Aqua Velva...but not now, Skin Bracer in glass is truly better than Aqua Velva.
Don told get me wrong 2020 plastic is nice albeit mega spearmint is very drugstorey.
I think it’s from 1993 because I got it in an unopened Nolan Ryan box so it never saw light until 2020. I googled it and I saw one that said 93 so it’s possible something went weird but it smells and feels amazing, much better than 2020.
I live in South Florida so Menthol is a lifesaver when today it hit 95 degrees.

View attachment 1132751
SB glass > AV glass
AV plastic > SB plastic
View attachment 1132753

wonder, maybe the peppermint evaporated over the years?

I’m a proraso Guy- that’s my ultimate fave.
However, domestic I used to say Aqua Velva...but not now, Skin Bracer in glass is truly better than Aqua Velva.
Don told get me wrong 2020 plastic is nice albeit mega spearmint is very drugstorey.
I think it’s from 1993 because I got it in an unopened Nolan Ryan box so it never saw light until 2020. I googled it and I saw one that said 93 so it’s possible something went weird but it smells and feels amazing, much better than 2020.
I live in South Florida so Menthol is a lifesaver when today it hit 95 degrees.

+1! Menthol is the answer on a hot AM!!

And you should also consider Floid vigoroso!! :a29:

Not sure how skin bracer, stored out of light and cool, in glass compares to current plastic bottles..

But the current Skin Bracer is my go-to summer scent. It's a light scent, I get mostly vanilla/menthol scent. Cheap around here, and available almost everywhere. Mix 50/50 with Osage Rub if you want to kick the menthol up a few notches :)

Skin bracer and Speed Stik "Fresh" deodorant are a good combination!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not sure how skin bracer, stored out of light and cool, in glass compares to current plastic bottles..

But the current Skin Bracer is my go-to summer scent. It's a light scent, I get mostly vanilla/menthol scent. Cheap around here, and available almost everywhere. Mix 50/50 with Osage Rub if you want to kick the menthol up a few notches :)

Skin bracer and Speed Stik "Fresh" deodorant are a good combination!

This is true. I have a vintage gift box with an unused bottle of Skin Bracer and a Speed Stick Deodorant stick. :)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The formulas changed for sure. I always decant any AS from plastic to glass.

I like modern Skin Bracer. Not really a big AV fan, but the vintage is better than the new imo. I’m sure they changed formulas over the years to some extent.

Top Bottom