What's new

size of this wade buthcer

Hi,

Excuse my naivety here.

Is this Wade & Butcher a 6/8 or 7/8?

Definitely not a chopper...

It looks like someone has done a number on it, but I plan on buying it for a bargain. ($30-$40) and restore it.

proxy.php

It doesn't look all that messed up to me. It looks like a typical Sheffield wedge with the large bevel and a lot of hone wear. Clean it up and hone it up.

What's messed up? Looks like a well used near-wedge. Maybe it isn't as uniform of a bevel as it should be, but long-loved wedgies would normally look that way, wouldn't they?

I'll do a solid clean, send it for honing, and starting dicing up the hair follicles on my face.

Call me crazy - but the wear in through the middle of the blade, is that someone grinding out whatever was etched on there?

Trying to figure out why that would be there..

#1, Easiest way to tell the size is to measure it.
#2. It has a tom of hone wear and uneven at that, personally I'd never go for that blade.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It doesn't look all that messed up to me. It looks like a typical Sheffield wedge with the large bevel and a lot of hone wear. Clean it up and hone it up.

+1

Any well love wedge will look like that. If you prefer form over function, you can sand and polish it up, then hone it with tape to prevent getting that "look".

Personally a non tape wedge feels better on the skin to me, but YMMV.

Great deal for 30.00. If you don't want it Ill buy it off you :)

Like I said I have one just like it and the hone wear is identical. It shaves really great. I love it. I think you got a good deal.

What's messed up? Looks like a well used near-wedge. Maybe it isn't as uniform of a bevel as it should be, but long-loved wedgies would normally look that way, wouldn't they?

+1

Most old Sheffield wedges are not even on both sides so you get slightly warped bevels like that. As has been pointed out a couple times, with extended use they start to look like that with the large areas of hone wear. I say its a nice razor, and will probably be a great shaver to boot!

That bevel and hone wear are beautiful, shows a well used blade and one honed without tape.

They all look that way eventually.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Haven't seen many blades with that sort of look, always used to a uniform look on the blade.

But if this is keeping the blade honest, and is a sign of a well used and loved blade - I won't be changing it.

If you want to send it to me, I'll clean the blade up on the buffer for you and hone it so you can use it.

You're a good man - I'll shoot you a PM when the blade arrives and lets go from there?
It should hit my mail box this week.

Top Bottom