What's new

Size of straight razor.

Hi

Since I changed over to wet shaving with DE, I am more and more tempted by trying out a straight razor...

I had a short look at the selection of a nearby razor shop. Are there any reason to prefer a 4/8, 5/8 or 6/8? Are there other criterias to consider?

I am also wondering if a shavette might be an "intermediate" step between a DE and a straight...

tang width & your fingertips (smaller-designation razors = narrower part you hold)

<5/8" smaller razors are more easily maneuvered in tight environs but tend to nick most new users a bit more than a larger blade

the larger blades will block more mirror that u want to see

'Shavette' give you full control over angle choice and stretching just as w/ conventional str8s but the feedback between the two varies quite a bit

Conventional wisdom starts a beginner with a 5, or 6/8's razor as being somewhere between a Ferrari and a cement truck.
Personally I don't see a shavette as an intermediate step (sideways maybe)... They shave just differently enough to be a discipline unto themselves.

i agree with the others that a shavette is no substitute for a straight razor. The feedback is totally different and I find them a lot less forgiving than a straight razor. a 5/8 or a 6/8 are both descent entries into straight razors. I have one English made 4/8 that I never really got the hang of they are just too slim and light for me. On the other hand the 7/8 and full inch razors are too bulky and clumsy to properly handle as a beginner. I had my first experience with a straight razor with a 8/8 bartman. Tried it and didn't like it. It wasn't until I got my hands on a 5/8 razor that I performed my first succesful shaves. I consider the larger razors more of a novelty than an actual practical razor.

8/8 Bartmann?

I'll take that "novelty" off your hands!:thumbup1:

Personally, I can't stand using anything smaller than 5/8--too twitchy.

The larger blades, for me, are more stable in regards to angle and stropping than the little guys.

I've never tried a shavette. I hear they are less forgiving.

I've been SR shaving for about a month now, and I've used razors from 4/8 to 13/16. The conventional wisdom is to start with a 5/8 or 6/8, and I agree. I think they are a good intermediate size to begin with. When you go smaller, I think one might be tempted to use too much pressure. Larger, and shaving in tight areas becomes challenging in the beginning.

The conventional wisdom also says to start out with a round point. I partially agree. I find round and French / Irish points equally easy to shave with, and the French point gives a bit of the detail work back to the razor that you miss out on with a round. Spike (square) points are more challenging. I'd recommend not starting with one. You can learn on one, but I think you'd be more likely to cut yourself.

8/8 Bartmann?

The larger blades, for me, are more stable in regards to angle and stropping than the little guys.

It's still a prised possession in my collection even though I don't use it that often. It was the first razor i acquired and is in lovely condition. I just find it too unweildy when working around the corners and in hard to shave areas. But of course a lot of that is personal preference. But I think most will agree that it's no razor for beginners

Thank you all for your valuable input.

It is definitely helpful to have at least some basic information on what to look for before entering a shop. I will return to the shop in a few days and check which ones feel better in the hands, but from what I have read here, I will for sure stay away the 4/8 sized ones (at least for a start). Somehow I would have imagined a smaller SR gives more control, but then, weight adds stability...

I personally started with a 4/8th's Shumate and had good luck shaving with it, but I found my results were inconsistent. Once I stepped into a 5/8ths Dovo my shaves dramatically improved to what I would consider a consistent, really good, comfortable shave all the time. The razor had some more weight to it which I found helped control the angle and direction of the razor a lot better, a well as having more material on the tang and blade for your fingers to hold onto.

My first wet shave of any kind was a 5/8 Wade and butcher. Eventually I jump to a 6/8 Wade and butcher then I started playing with smiling razors and although I like them all they all act quite different. The only advice I could think to give you is to find someone who's willing to let you shave with some of their's see witch kind you like most. It kind of all boils down to personal preference.

I started with a Dovo 6/8...and it was fine. A bit heavy, but it works fine. I also have several 4/8 and 5/8 vintage razors and these are lighter and they, too, work fine. If I had to pick I would pronbably go with a 5/8.

As for a shavette...I used one for a while and the only thing similar between a shavette and a SR is they look similar and your hand position is similar. In every other way they are different. If I could go back and start again I would skip the shavette and start with a SR.

Legion

Staff member
8/8 Bartmann?

This is the same for me.

My favourite is about 6/8, with a quarter hollow.

But really the only way the OP is going to work out what is the best for him is to buy a few different ones and try them out.

Consider yourself enabled.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Bigger the better. You can't really see anything anyways as you go through your first contortions learning to shave. The larger blades are easier to judge angle against the face. Low and slow is a good beginner's mantra. 6/8s is a good starting point.

I started off with a 5/8 and if I had to do everything over, I would go that route again. I always thought that under the nose was tricky with a large razor. Of course, now that I have a beard and only trim my cheeks and neck, I don't have that problem any more, so now bigger is better definitely. I do agree though, that bigger blades are easier to judge angles with, but unless you are going against the grain or across the grain under the nose, it isn't really an option.

Thank you all for your inputs.

I returned to the store this evening and took the different SR in my hands. Well, I ruled out the shavette pretty quickly, mainly the lack of weight made me doubt if it provides enough stability. The SR felt way better in the hands and I finally took a Dovo 5/8 stainless steel...

$160818-202906.jpg
$160818-202729.jpg

Top Bottom