What's new

FS Sixteen (16) razors: Modern & Vintage

Status
Not open for further replies.
July marks my first-year anniversary on B&B, and in celebration I am sharing 16 great razors with my fellow enthusiasts (OK, yeah, and also getting my collection under control).

Please note:

— Prices include CONUS shipping and PayPal fees.
— Original packaging/case provided only where specified.
— Everything must go. After a couple of days, I will reduce prices on unsold razors. Please watch this thread for updates.

Here is a barebones list of razors offered (photos, detailed descriptions, and prices follow):

MODERN RAZORS
  • Blackland Blackbird (machined finish, 101mm handle)
  • Muhle Rocca R96
  • Above the Tie Atlas M2
  • Focus Dynamic R48

VINTAGE RAZORS
  • Gillette Rocket HD 500 (includes original case)
  • 1922 Gillette New Improved (Richwood set — wooden case included)
  • Ever Ready 1924 Gem razor + 2 handles (original and custom 3.5” hammered brass)
  • Pre-war Gillette Tech with bakelite handle, triangle slots, and etched cap
  • NOS Rotbart Mond Extra set (includes original box with razor, two nickel canisters with travel shaving brush and soap stick, and Rotbart blades)
  • Filomatic Inox (includes tuck of Filomatic blades)
  • Jones Shake Sharp (all-metal version)
  • Schick Type A repeater (internal magazine missing)
  • Schick Type B repeater (fully intact)
  • Schick Type O injector clone from ebarbershop
  • NOS Star DE set (includes original display box with razor, blades, and paper insert)
  • Segal (includes Segal blade to use as template for modification)

PHOTOS / DESCRIPTIONS / PRICES (razors in same order as above list)

MODERN RAZORS

Blackland Blackbird
SB with machined finish
Long 101 mm (approx. 4”) handle that Blackland no longer offers
Total weight: 110g
Not a darn thing wrong with the Blackbird. Grab it before I change my mind.
$90 (Retail $185)
772FA7A8-44C8-41CD-8809-F40A2445AEE0.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Muhle Rocca R96
Stainless steel with black textured, rubberized handle grip. Handsome and effective razor. Read long-term review of Rocca R96 by B&B member here. The photos I took for this listing don’t do justice to the Rocca R96, so I am adding one of my SOTD shots (*only* the razor is for sale).
Total weight: 80g
$50 (Retail $100)
24C620B8-28ED-48E0-ADFD-F7DE8A3EB1F4.jpeg EFF1B562-7E15-484F-98B7-D05769F011E3.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Above the Tie Atlas M2
Atlas handle = stainless steel, 3”, barberpole
M2 head = stainless steel, milder, OC, DE
Total weight: 94gr
The Atlas handle also fits a variety of razors, including Weber, Muhle, Gillette Old Type and Tech heads. The M2 head is equally versatile on other handles.
$70 (Retail $148)
CB7C8AB1-7058-4AEB-A281-E4442E10065B.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Focus Dynamic R48 aluminum SE
Nifty piece of Italian engineering. Light, nimble, effective. Uses half a DE blade (easily and safely snapped while still blade wrapped in paper). Spring-mounted head. Looks like a toy but produces a smooth, comfortable shave. Highly recommend reading instructions on blade installation and watching short video on shaving tips found here. Note: If instructions are not your thing, I would advise skipping this particular razor (you probably won’t figure it out on your own). But if you are open to a new experience, I urge you to give this unique razor a whirl.
$27 (Retail price $58)
441F5609-CAAA-4665-8F49-BF162FE30693.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

**See posts below for info on vintage razors.**

VINTAGE RAZORS

Gillette Rocket HD 500
Excellent condition in both appearance and mechanics. Smooth, solid TTO action. Original case included with (empty) blade pack. The case has minor scuffing but is otherwise in good condition. I bought this razor a month ago on BST for $80, but shortly afterwards I was gifted a Lady Gillette. Seems only fair to pass the Rocket on to someone else.
$80
9D1D456D-86A7-490D-9BFA-968688899D66.jpeg EDD9CCE2-8602-47C2-927B-EDC3AE3677FB.jpeg 98137BD2-5117-4B74-B621-0689FD0C1EE4.jpeg
Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

1922 Gillette New Improved (Richwood set)
Razor has been re-plated in silver. One very small blemish on the cap. Handle has small crack (see photos for closeup view); teeth are straight. Attractive wooden case is in very good shape, opens and closes properly, has some small nicks and scratches. The blade case has some slight wear as well.
$50
192B1596-E01E-49C8-8BDD-24A47F30F539.jpeg 1C089D76-981B-4514-844D-22A88FD4C7BF.jpeg 73321E5E-5D03-4294-AB82-593AE27E0D0E.jpeg 873DE3A0-793C-4F0C-8311-F914B6A77379.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Ever Ready 1924 Gem + TWO HANDLES
  1. Rod George 3.5” hammered antiqued brass handle is made specifically to fit threading of this razor, so no set-screw adapter needed — this modern handle provides excellent grip and balance
  2. original Art Deco brass handle — beautiful but much too short for my tastes
Head opens and closes smoothly. Blade seats properly. Head and both handles in excellent condition.
$40 (Retail price of Rod George handle $60)
56861021-CA12-476D-9A6A-6A84FE7FBF73.jpeg 87D0EA3F-301D-4CB0-9020-A7A7787A88F4.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Pre-war Gillette Tech with bakelite handle and etched cap
Nice etched cap. No handle cracks. No date code. Triangle slots. Very nice example of a classic razor.
$20
7A4CBDEA-C334-4A9A-BFCB-CC9C50544F30.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

**Descriptions continue in next post.**

NOS Rotbart Mond Extra set
Original box with Rotbart Mond Extra razor, two nickel-plated canisters containing a travel brush and shaving soap stick (smells great), and Rotbart blades. The razor handle’s plating has suffered some deterioration with age, but the top plate is shiny. I think the handle needs polishing, but I will leave that task to the new owner. The cardboard box has a torn corner, and the super-thin foil over the soap stick is in precarious condition. But otherwise this set is a collector’s delight.
$75
5022E7A1-E0C2-499A-8E99-405F1C447C17.jpeg B53FFA76-64EB-4E3F-8BF8-6AA193A90F69.jpeg 4A0A7427-D487-4C5D-9ED5-814AF3EF2406.jpeg B285B72C-2862-4A69-9790-D14628A0DB49.jpeg
Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Filomatic Inox
This vintage razor from Spain is a rare find in the US. Features a hinged head that opens with a very satisfying click of a button on the bottom of the handle. Surprisingly light but solid build. Uses regular DE blades. Handle shows a little wear, but razor operates perfectly and shaves well. Will include tuck of Filomatic DE blades. Here is a 20-second video demonstration of how the Filomatic opens and closes.
$40
2661E0F5-840F-45E6-9BA6-4767105A96DB.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Jones Shake Sharp
Looks like an SE but uses regular DE blades, exposing only one side at a time. The top plate slides to one side to unlock and open the head. This mild razor is fun to use, has a sporty look, and is in great condition. (Note: The Shake Sharp, marketed as “the razor that sharpens itself,” has a built-in hone that supposedly sharpens the blade by shaking the razor — a feature that is obsolete given modern inexpensive DE blades. I have never, ever shaken this razor.)
$50
D40EC7B3-2F64-49B7-9677-4439C91F8CC9.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Schick Type A repeater
The razor shaves just fine. NOTE: There is *no magazine* inside the handle, so the blade must be loaded manually (slides right into place with needle-nose pliers). As you can see from the photos, the head has a lot of brassing. All in all, this razor is probably more of an interesting character actor than a gorgeous leading man.
$15
449E5350-52BC-4087-ABCB-EEF36FEDD871.jpeg AC1EBA36-4018-4CB2-9932-F18E81DC50D5.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Schick Type B repeater
Internal magazine in good shape, head pivots properly, and handle slides open smoothly. Having read that these vintage Schick repeaters tend to jam with modern injector blades, I opted to load blades manually with needle-nose pliers (easily done). Lots of brassing on head, silver plating on handle shows some wear, and there is a scratch on the back of the head (screwdriver mark? see second photo collage).
$25
6CAA23DF-876F-4DFF-9F2C-A5D390D4D7B4.jpeg A8FB2AFE-06F1-4D24-BF11-9ED1340F63AF.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

**Descriptions continue in next post.**

Schick Type O injector clone from ebarbershop
Some superficial wear on glossy finish but otherwise in fine condition.
$18
069F9D64-7A2E-4275-8BE4-236A27D150E5.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

NOS Star DE razor set
Original display box with Star DE razor, blades, and paper inserts. I believe the razor has a gold wash finish. Entire set, including box, is in top shape. Perfect for a collector.
$20
EAA16550-8BBC-4EBF-8543-9B09668F4016.jpeg 0CA81C4B-D100-4F4B-A551-67AC1DAFBD1F.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Segal
Way cool one-piece mechanical design + beautiful, clean lines + nice heft and terrific balance. Yep, the Segal is a great shaver. Just one hiccup: you have to modify modern DE blades, but I will include a Segal blade to use as a template. (Note the modified Personna blade in photo — it worked perfectly despite my rather crude trim job with curved cuticle scissors.) No handle cracks and all teeth straight. One small pit on the top cap — does not affect shave.
$15
83C115FC-7ABD-4987-8077-DAB1DEB53E31.jpeg 6926C7CF-DB97-4AD9-970E-FB196FD40A0E.jpeg Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

OK, that’s everything. Holler if you have any questions. Thanks for looking!

Patti

My Covet is in overdrive right now. I must resist for GRUME. I hope your sale goes well and you have great success.

NOTE TO SELF:
Don’t post a 6am offer of razors to this rabid crowd and then immediately slip out to walk the dog. Wasn’t even out the door before the first PM arrived. And before we got back to the house, five razors sold and inquiries on two others. B&B folk are the best!

PM Sent I want it.
July marks my first-year anniversary on B&B, and in celebration I am sharing 16 great razors with my fellow enthusiasts (OK, yeah, and also getting my collection under control).

Please note:

— Prices include CONUS shipping and PayPal fees.
— Original packaging/case provided only where specified.
— Everything must go. After a couple of days, I will reduce prices on unsold razors. Please watch this thread for updates.

Here is a barebones list of razors offered (photos, detailed descriptions, and prices follow):

MODERN RAZORS
  • Blackland Blackbird (machined finish, 101mm handle)
  • Muhle Rocca R96
  • Above the Tie Atlas M2
  • Focus Dynamic R48

VINTAGE RAZORS
  • Gillette Rocket HD 500 (includes original case)
  • 1922 Gillette New Improved (Richwood set — wooden case included)
  • Ever Ready 1924 Gem razor + 2 handles (original and custom 3.5” hammered brass)
  • Pre-war Gillette Tech with bakelite handle, triangle slots, and etched cap
  • NOS Rotbart Mond Extra set (includes original box with razor, two nickel canisters with travel shaving brush and soap stick, and Rotbart blades)
  • Filomatic Inox (includes tuck of Filomatic blades)
  • Jones Shake Sharp (all-metal version)
  • Schick Type A repeater (internal magazine missing)
  • Schick Type B repeater (fully intact)
  • Schick Type O injector clone from ebarbershop
  • NOS Star DE set (includes original display box with razor, blades, and paper insert)
  • Segal (includes Segal blade to use as template for modification)

PHOTOS / DESCRIPTIONS / PRICES (razors in same order as above list)

MODERN RAZORS

Blackland Blackbird
SB with machined finish
Long 101 mm (approx. 4”) handle that Blackland no longer offers
Total weight: 110g
Not a darn thing wrong with the Blackbird. Grab it before I change my mind.
$90 (Retail $185)
View attachment 993027 Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Muhle Rocca R96
Stainless steel with black textured, rubberized handle grip. Handsome and effective razor. Read long-term review of Rocca R96 by B&B member here. The photos I took for this listing don’t do justice to the Rocca R96, so I am adding one of my SOTD shots (*only* the razor is for sale).
Total weight: 80g
$50 (Retail $100)
View attachment 993028 View attachment 993029 Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Above the Tie Atlas M2
Atlas handle = stainless steel, 3”, barberpole
M2 head = stainless steel, milder, OC, DE
Total weight: 94gr
The Atlas handle also fits a variety of razors, including Weber, Muhle, Gillette Old Type and Tech heads. The M2 head is equally versatile on other handles.
$70 (Retail $148)
View attachment 993033 Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

Focus Dynamic R48 aluminum SE
Nifty piece of Italian engineering. Light, nimble, effective. Uses half a DE blade (easily and safely snapped while still blade wrapped in paper). Spring-mounted head. Looks like a toy but produces a smooth, comfortable shave. Highly recommend reading instructions on blade installation and watching short video on shaving tips found here. Note: If instructions are not your thing, I would advise skipping this particular razor (you probably won’t figure it out on your own). But if you are open to a new experience, I urge you to give this unique razor a whirl.
$27 (Retail price $58)
View attachment 993032 Tap or click on thumbnail to enlarge.

**See posts below for info on vintage razors.**

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
NOTE TO SELF:
Don’t post a 6am offer of razors to this rabid crowd and then immediately slip out to walk the dog. Wasn’t even out the door before the first PM arrived. And before we got back to the house, five razors sold and inquiries on two others. B&B folk are the best!
That'll teach ya! :lol:

BTW the way you have laid out this listing is exemplary! :ouch1:

**Muhle Rocca R96 sold**

**Gillette New Improved (Richwood set) sold**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom