What's new

Siv's Top 10 Synthetic Brushes (Summer 2009)

After reading Siv's excellent review, I had to make a better handle for my old Goldennib Synthetic knot.

My handle is made from a block of pearlized acrylic with swirls of bronze, violet and blue. The colors dance off the handles when you move it. I tried to create my impression of a persian jar brush handle. I may put it back on the lathe to make it more narrow and slender near the bottom.

Now I must order the Taylor of Old Bond Street which has a beautiful handle.

Does the TOBS synthetic brush's handle have a seam, or is it turned? That's my biggest peeve with brushes...
Looks turned to me. I had a very close look and I can't see any seams. The handle itself is very sturdy so I can't imagine it's not turned.

Looks turned to me. I had a very close look and I can't see any seams. The handle itself is very sturdy so I can't imagine it's not turned.

Agreed, you would see the seem, and it may even be raised and jutting out if it were there.

Although I do not have a problem with this. I have two brushes with seems. But I can see how some might. In no way does it affect performance.

Siv - Is your #1, Taylors of Old Bond Street Synthetic Shaving Brush, good with soaps as well?
It's decent with soap as it has some backbone but it's not very stiff. I would say you still have to work it a little but it will do a good job.

OP- where'd you buy the TOBS brush? I can't find it online for the life of me..
I got it from the UK website. The price you pay is slightly less because foreign orders are tax free but then the shipping adds on so in the end it's probably going to cost $50-$55 shipped.

Thank you!

I'm a vegetarian, and currently use a badger hair brush. I think I have a few more years left in the brush, and then I intend to go synthetic.

Thanks!

Siv, your review is fantastic!

I like your approach and for all who have thought about synthetics, this is a wonderful primer. Personally, I've only used the Omega, so if my mileage is consistent with yours, I can only do better! :wink: Actually, I had no trouble getting decent lather with the Omega so a better brush may have merit someday.

Thanks again! :001_smile

While reading this last post, a question came to my mind. Do these synthetic brushes melt or deform when immersed in extremely hot water? I boil water in an electric pot and then pour the boiling water into a ceramic cup. I wet the brush by dipping it in this extremely hot water several times, and because I face lather, I am constantly dipping the tips into the water as I lather. So what is the answer to this question.

Do these synthetic brushes melt or deform when immersed in extremely hot water?

That's a really good question that I don't have a definitive answer for. I have only used synthetic and I have used nearly boiling water but only with the cheap Omega which didn't seem to get damaged. Having said that, I only did it once so that is probably not a good measure.

Some of the nice ones are not cheap so I'm reluctant to experiment! What I can do it try it with a the GoldenNib synthetic knot. They are easy to replace. I'll report back how I get on.

While reading this last post, a question came to my mind. Do these synthetic brushes melt or deform when immersed in extremely hot water? I boil water in an electric pot and then pour the boiling water into a ceramic cup. I wet the brush by dipping it in this extremely hot water several times, and because I face lather, I am constantly dipping the tips into the water as I lather. So what is the answer to this question.
Dan...Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (or 100 degree Celcius). Nylon 6 melting point is 420 degrees F; nylon 11 melting point is 365 degrees F; and nylon 6.6 melting point is 490 degrees F. These different nylons are sold under the trade names Capron®, Durethan®, Gelon®, Nylatron®, Rilsan®, Ultramid®, Vydyne®, Zytel®. Inevitably, each of the brushes uses one of these types of nylon. I don't think you can do any damage by "dipping" the brush into boiling water...Rgds and stay groovy...

Top Bottom