What's new

Site Backup Offer

Thats rough, you have my sympathies lol. Can't you even get Bell satellite there?
Not here unfortunately. No coverage area. We have Telus and Mascon, but they're both fed through one HCLOS Microwave site. Shoots across from Prince Rupert and gets distributed on this side. There's no sub-ocean fibre line...so far. There's been talk, but no action. There's been some work upgrading the lines up and down the island from the dist node, but that doesn't address the feed problems. The pipe's only so big and weather dependent.
So they can transfer stuff around faster, but without additional input...no effective change.

We were supposed to get Starlink deployed here last year, but it got delayed. I figure it's the best option rather than waiting for a new sub-ocean line to get installed.

It's really, really sad how badly telecommunications treat customers in CAN/US. Even Mexico can get an unlimited cellular text and data package for $4 US/month.

But I digress...sorry.

I make do for now, and it'll only get better in time.

The locale certainly makes up for the lack of connectivity.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not here unfortunately. No coverage area. We have Telus and Mascon, but they're both fed through one HCLOS Microwave site. Shoots across from Prince Rupert and gets distributed on this side. There's no sub-ocean fibre line...so far. There's been talk, but no action. There's been some work upgrading the lines up and down the island from the dist node, but that doesn't address the feed problems. The pipe's only so big and weather dependent.
So they can transfer stuff around faster, but without additional input...no effective change.

We were supposed to get Starlink deployed here last year, but it got delayed. I figure it's the best option rather than waiting for a new sub-ocean line to get installed.

It's really, really sad how badly telecommunications treat customers in CAN/US. Even Mexico can get an unlimited cellular text and data package for $4 US/month.

But I digress...sorry.

I make do for now, and it'll only get better in time.

The locale certainly makes up for the lack of connectivity.

On the plus side, you're saving a lot of money. Rogers is my highest yearly expense. Higher than property taxes and higher than house and car insurance combined.

I guess it is a pretty remote part of the world you're in but its still surprising that internet access is so limited in a country like Canada. Hopefully Elon gets around to it sooner, rather than later but, with all the money the big telecom companies make, no one should have to rely on someone else.

Top Bottom