What's new

Sir Walter Raleigh Regular and a cup of coffee.

Nescafe with the green plastic lid. I think we have a jar of that stowed away somewhere for the Coffapocalypse.

Can't stand it. I'll die of thirst first. You're more a man than I as far as that is concerned.
It's better than nothing. Especially first thing in the am. I'm not awake enough to recognize it's crap. Like diet soda, not as good but just about good enough.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It's better than nothing. Especially first thing in the am. I'm not awake enough to recognize it's crap. Like diet soda, not as good but just about good enough.

I can appreciate that response completely. I swill down a diet soda many evenings ... even though I probably shouldn't.

I need two cups of 'high-test' every morning to get it in gear. Have you considered decaf tea or a decaf grind?

I can appreciate that response completely. I swill down a diet soda many evenings ... even though I probably shouldn't.

I need two cups of 'high-test' every morning to get it in gear. Have you considered decaf tea or a decaf grind?
Oh, I have my high test at work. The decaf gets me to work. And I have a can of Folgers decaf, as well as a couple pounds of different brands. But it's just me drinking coffee in the morning at home. It just makes more sense for me to use the instant. That way I'm not wasting the coffee. No, that's not right. That way I'm not tying up the coffee pot with decaf, which is grounds for divorce in 32 states.

I was tempted to pack up and smoke a half bowl this morning with my coffee. But I anticipate receiving and smoking a new pipe today, and I've realized that smoking more than once a day, for me, lessens the enjoyment of the second smoke. Besides, morning pipes should be for weekends.

. . . Besides, morning pipes should be for weekends.
Well, that rule didn't last long --

This morning I packed a half bowl of Half & Half into my small London Briar, the straight with the forward-canted bowl. I had a good 20-minute smoke and 5 more minutes from a relight, with no tongue bite or throat dryness. True, I packed it down a little more firmly than I usually do my tobacco. Perhaps it was that, or the dimensions of the bowl were perfect for the amount of leaf; or I am learning how to sip the blend. Anyway, I very much enjoyed the cooling coffee with it.

This Saturday morning, as I have for a while now, I lit up a bowl of Sir Walter with my coffee. The leaf is amazingly mild, and yet there is a scent of "tobacco" there for sure. No tongue bite, no throat dryness. Like my Half & Half, it's one I don't want to run out of.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This Saturday morning, as I have for a while now, I lit up a bowl of Sir Walter with my coffee. The leaf is amazingly mild, and yet there is a scent of "tobacco" there for sure. No tongue bite, no throat dryness. Like my Half & Half, it's one I don't want to run out of.
I agree completely with both blends my friend.

I was on a boat trip down the Thames and the ONLY coffee available on the boat was instant. Waking up that first morning and having instant coffee as my ONLY alternative -- O well... I guess that I'm grateful now that I was forced to learn to tolerate instant coffee. It's still not my first choice, but I've come to a grudging tolerance for it -- very handy sometimes. Those expensive Starbucks instant packets live in my travel bag. I can handle Folgers of Nescafe, but the Starbucks instant coffee tastes the most like brewed coffee, I find.

Also, I like Sir Walter Raleigh -- both versions. I have an unopened pouch of Half & Half that I will get around to trying sometime soon.
My wife bought me a Keurig -- I'm in heaven! I will always be grateful for instant coffee, but only when that's my sole choice.

Some Sir Walter this early Saturday morning, in my '80s 307 Peterson bent billiard. Somehow I wound up with a solid 45-minute smoke with 2 relights. Grand aroma and an easy-burning leaf, with a pipe that's been an old friend for 35 (!) years, and some Cafe Morro espresso-style coffee. Hard to beat that combination.

Top Bottom