What's new

sir hare barbershop

So, I found this soap on amazon and ordered it based on the pretty good reviews and I used it for the first time today and I gotta say, I had a very good shave. Has anyone tried this soap before? I did some research on here and it appears people had a problem with the older formulation of the soap not lathering that good. They reformulated the soap. In my opinion, this soap lathers very very well and it's a tallow based soap. The barbershop scent is very nice and mild. it's almost like the scent relaxes you when you shave. I also got their drunken sailer soap which is supposed to be a bay rum, but smells much more like anise/licorice which is kinda disappointing since it's supposed to be a bay rum scent, but their barbershop is a very nice soap. it's supposed to last over 100 shaves and it's 4 oz soap in a 8 oz container, so lathering is a breeze and no worry about getting soap all over the place. it stays inside the container. for those that have not tried this soap, TRY IT. It's a very good tallow based soap. the NEW formulation that is. for those that have tried it, what are your thoughts on it? the new formulation is stearic acid, tallow, palm oil, glycerin, shea butter, castor oil, and coconut oil

Ordered SH Barber Shop from Amazon
Opened package
Sniffed
Wrapped it back up
Returned to Amazon

Scent was much too weak for me.

Yep! I think it was the 2nd soap I bought after TOBS Sandalwood. I like it - a good solid performer. I really like the scent - I kind of think of it as a tastefully understated version of Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber (which I also really like but sometimes am not in the mood for....)

It was the second soap I ever bought and the first soap I ever finished, and just like @Jeffish TOBS Sandalwood was the first.
I liked Sir Hare, and the label is top notch.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
So, I found this soap on amazon and ordered it based on the pretty good reviews and I used it for the first time today and I gotta say, I had a very good shave. Has anyone tried this soap before? I did some research on here and it appears people had a problem with the older formulation of the soap not lathering that good. They reformulated the soap. In my opinion, this soap lathers very very well and it's a tallow based soap. The barbershop scent is very nice and mild. it's almost like the scent relaxes you when you shave. I also got their drunken sailer soap which is supposed to be a bay rum, but smells much more like anise/licorice which is kinda disappointing since it's supposed to be a bay rum scent, but their barbershop is a very nice soap. it's supposed to last over 100 shaves and it's 4 oz soap in a 8 oz container, so lathering is a breeze and no worry about getting soap all over the place. it stays inside the container. for those that have not tried this soap, TRY IT. It's a very good tallow based soap. the NEW formulation that is. for those that have tried it, what are your thoughts on it? the new formulation is stearic acid, tallow, palm oil, glycerin, shea butter, castor oil, and coconut oil
I've been using Sir Hare Barbershop and like it, although, since I don't have much experience with other soaps to compare it to, my opinion may not mean much. So far, I haven't been able to build huge mounds of frothy lather, however, that may be due more to my inexperience or brush, rather than the soap.

-Phil

I have used Sir Hare, but it may have been the original formula. I rated it below average with a score of 80 on my evaluation criteria. Most of the soaps that I currently use are rated 95 and higher.

The soap I have has so much lactic acid that it smelled more like buttermilk than it did shaving soap.

yeah, I used Sir Hare a few years ago.. I found it be a fantastic, no-nonsense soap, that did exactly what it says on the tin, without trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak... would I buy it again? yes, if, and when I find a reputable source that delivers to the U.K
obviously haven't tried the new base, so cannot comment on that...

I bought Sir Hare years ago and liked it. It was a little finicky with lathering, but provided an excellent shave. I went down other soap rabbit holes and never bought it again.

I got the Sir Hare "ALPHA" soap in fall 2021. It was the first shaving soap I got. I like both the scent and the performance. I don't know how to describe the scent other than really nice.

I've also been happy with their "Lumberjack" Head Shaving Oil. I've used it not just on my head, but on my face--both by itself and as a pre-shave. The outdoorsy evergreen-ish scent is quite nice.

Top Bottom