What's new

Sippin' isnt just for tea and coffee

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Seeing a few more fresh faces here. I thought I would throw out a small tip when smoking. We all love to see the clouds of smoke when enjoying out pipe. While impressive, it might be doing your tobacco a disservice. I would encourage smokers to try sipping the tobacco and not letting it burn as hot. Perhaps this will draw out a bit more flavor for you.

I just had a sublime bowl of Watch City Cigar Nor'Easter. Now this is a blend that i kinda put in the "discard" section. Ill smoke it till its done, and probably wont rebuy. BUT, today i took it really slow and steady and I had an explosion of flavors. This basically jumped the blend back up to the restock section when I am out.

The true can be said for many Virginia tobaccos.

So if you find a blend that isnt doing much, try a slower approach.

Taking a break from the given smoke might also help. This morning I loaded up my Keyser vintage billiard with Match Edgeworth. Fifteen minutes' smoke was succeeded by breakfast, and another fifteen after. If I let the pipe sit for a couple of hours, I find the restarted smoke to be rather bitter and ashy; so I don't let more than half an hour go by between segments.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I let the pipe sit for a couple of hours, I find the restarted smoke to be rather bitter and ashy; so I don't let more than half an hour go by between segments.

I find that some blends rest better than others. Cavendish and Latakia don't do so well at being smoked in instalments, in my opinion.

In respect of the opening post, I seem to pace myself better, if I haven't packed too densely. For some reason, I can go at it a bit heavy, if I haven't got the pack right. If in doubt, under packing smokes better than over packing.

I agree with the OP. It has been my experience that "sipping" seems to bring out the undertones of a blend and tends to keep the smoke cooler.

I learned from a video years ago about a "cadence". It took some discipline at first. After a charing first light, count to 7 and take a small sip. Repeat and relight as needed. Change the count, more or less, until you find the sweet spot. After a while it becomes second nature. Also, be aware of other factors like moisture in the baccy and the differences in blends. Wet tobacco causes most problems for new smokers.

Top Bottom