What's new

Singles: Door Open Or Closed?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Folks who live alone, do you close certain inside doors (bathroom, bedroom door at night, etc.), or do you keep the doors open at all times?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I live alone. I close the doors which should be closed. And I leave open doors in the Summertime.

I watched an interesting fire-fighting video which purported to show the difference between a house with the bedroom door closed vs open during training burns. Made me want to close the door. I still leave it open tho' as I will faceplant eventually during one of many nocturnal trips to the bathroom if I forget the door is closed :p

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
In all new construction in the EU doors now have to be hung so that they automatically close.

Reactions: Avi
My bedroom and bathroom doors stay open.
I have 2 cats (and a dog), and their boxes are in the 2 other rooms, their water is in the kitchen, and food is on my room.
However, once I have the floors redone, one of the rooms is going to become my gun room/work shop, so that room will the door shut when everything is moved in.

I'm not single, but I'll contribute.
In the winter time, I close the doors and secure the vents to rooms not used daily so I don't pay to heat unoccupied space.

Reactions: Avi
Doors stay open unless closed temporarily for privacy or noise. That way the HVAC system works better.

I believe someone was implying above that this means that may fire will spread more quickly???..if so does this not also mean that smoke travels further more quickly to set off the smoke alarm sooner and the sound can better travel throughout the home to be heard sooner, giving occupants a better chance to get out?

When I lived alone I would keep closet doors closed but the bedroom, bathroom, office, den doors open. During the day if the weather is nice I'll open windows as well as the back and side doors to capture some cross ventilation. At night I lock up the entire downstairs nice and tight. No windows or doors left unlocked and outside lights on. And the security alarm is set for away so the motion detectors are on. I won't go downstairs until I've shut off the alarm. I live in the NY Metro area so you can't consider yourself safe anywhere. I don't care where you are with 20 million people living among nearby in NY, NJ and CT.

Since I have no exhibitionistic tendencies, I like to close my bathroom door, otherwise my neighbours could see right into it (I have glass fronts all around, and I don't want to close up all glass fronts in my living room). I also close my bedroom door, because then I won't hear the elevator.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I was single, I always closed most doors as I was rather messy and if I had unexpected visitors I didn’t have to run around trying to clean up.

Generally, all doors stay open. My wife's office gets closed when unoccupied right now to prevent kittens from chewing valuable cables (we've lost 1 set of headphones and a laptop charging cable).

Our daughter's basement apartment space will be closed for the same reason when she heads up north for a week in August.

Only door that is ALWAYS close is the crawlspace entrance, because we'd NEVER find the cats if they ever got in there.

I keep them open most of the year for better ventilation. It also makes the house seem brighter, which improves the mood. I close off a few unused spaces during Winter so I don't have to heat those spaces.

When growing up in the 1950s, my parents kept their bedroom closed because they had a window AC. My sister and I were left to swelter in our bedrooms.

Top Bottom