What's new

Single-Ring Gillette

I've got 2 single-ring Gillette's; however, I am uncertain how to date them by using their serial numbers. Can anyone help? I've checked the Geocities site, but can't determine where these serials fall into order.

Serial #1: 299385

Serial #2: K261990

Thanks,

Thanks, James. I was hoping you'd chime in on this! :biggrin1: It may be that razor #1 is mis-matched. There is definitely no preceeding letter to the serial number; however, unlike razor #2 which has the serial number stamped inside the head, the serial number on razor #1 is stamped on the shaft attached to the bottom knob. I may have a double-ring knob in a single-ring razor, or perhaps as you've suggested -- there may have been some over-lap in production.

After a lengthy study of the Geocities website and reading a similar thread on SMF (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8411&start=15) -- I have taken a closer look at razor #1 and noticed that it is missing the gillette trademark and "Made in..." stamp on the underside of the guard. This seems to date it prior to 1908. The Geocities site also indicated that the single-ring began production in 1906 (along side the double-ring); however, it may well be possible that the single-ring actually began production in late 1905, which would account for the serial number. As such, I believe this actually is a 1905 single-ring razor. Very cool... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hi James,

I too am curious how he procured such an exact date for the start of the single-ring DE's. I believe it's the only date on the geocities site which includes both month and year.

As for the Krumholz book, I'm hoping to pick up a copy at some point. Unfortunately, all those for sale on eBay (razorman2) do not accept PayPal from international bidders -- makes things a tad more difficult to coordinate. :thumbdown

I've seen a few copies on Amazon.com as well, but they're selling from $40 - $140.00 USD which I think is completely nuts. :blink: I was hoping I might be able to convince a fellow forum member in the USA to do the eBay transaction for me, but for now I guess I'll suffer in silence. :crying:

GoTeeGuy said:
Hi James,

I too am curious how he procured such an exact date for the start of the single-ring DE's. I believe it's the only date on the geocities site which includes both month and year.

As for the Krumholz book, I'm hoping to pick up a copy at some point. Unfortunately, all those for sale on eBay (razorman2) do not accept PayPal from international bidders -- makes things a tad more difficult to coordinate. :thumbdown

I've seen a few copies on Amazon.com as well, but they're selling from $40 - $140.00 USD which I think is completely nuts. :blink: I was hoping I might be able to convince a fellow forum member in the USA to do the eBay transaction for me, but for now I guess I'll suffer in silence. :crying:

PM me and we can talk about this.

Here is the page from K's book about the 1904 and SNs. So if you have a razor with no SN then "Pat. App. For" will be on it somewhere. If you have that and a SN then you have a mismatch.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the offer re: K's book, but Mrs. Chefchris has already begun watching an auction for me. :001_smile

Razor #1:
The only markings on the exterior of my razor are "PAT.NOV.15.04". There is no serial number located between the guard and cap. There is also no trademark or "Made in..." stamp on the underside of the guard. However, the serial number 299385 is stamped on the barrel of the TTO knob.

Razor #2:
This razor is stamped with "PAT.NOV.15.04"; however, there is also the standard Gillette trademark and "Made in USA" stamped on the underside of the guard. There is no serial number located on the barrel of the TTO knob; instead, it is located between the guard and cap. It reads K261990.

I believe Razor #2 is from 1919... very little question about that. Razor #1 is most likely a mis-match, however, is still remains a bit of a mystery to me.

When did Gillette start stamping the serial number of the single-rings between the guard and cap, as opposed to on the barrel of the TTO knob?

On page 159 K mentions that before the patent deadline in 1920. Various razors were made with extra parts. Gratuitously large scan of page coming up next.

Top Bottom