What's new

Single Ring Eye Candy

Here is a 1921-1928 Gold Old Type Set I once owned. Hope you enjoy the photos.

DSCN2887.JPG
DSCN2888.JPG
DSCN2890 - Copy.JPG
DSCN2892.JPG
DSCN2894 - Copy.JPG

I still find it amazing that razors this old can still be found in this condition - especially the cases.

I will admit that I don't like shaving with a Old Type - for me it requires too much attention and careful shaving. They are just 1 or 2 evolutions above a wedge style safety razor.

-jim

I still find it amazing that razors this old can still be found in this condition - especially the cases.

I will admit that I don't like shaving with a Old Type - for me it requires too much attention and careful shaving. They are just 1 or 2 evolutions above a wedge style safety razor.

-jim
Finding a set in this condition and better has certainly gotten much harder than when I began looking for them. Sadly, when the owner passes away I believe shaving items are some of the first things to go in the trash. They are then lost ever.
I have had the same experience shaving with these razors. I love their history. I think of the times their origional owners lived through. They can be enjoyable to use, have a huge cool factor and look amazing.
But I have go give them additional respect when I shave with one.

Much, much harder to find in the wild - that is - not in an vintage mall or online. The last decent* Gillette was made in the mid-70s before they made the Super Adjustable with a plastic bottom plate (I'd consider the mid 60s also). So 55 years ago for a collector to even consider. That's a long time for anything to set in some drawer - possibly unused. And then consider your set is a hundred years old. That they can still be found is almost miraculous.

* I mean decent in terms of machining, looks, etc. Not shaving. I think - IMO - the shaves continued to get incrementally better and/or easier.

-jim

Top Bottom