What's new

Single Ring ... and others ... rescue

Okay, a couple from this weekend ... this one will be moving into my display cabinet. It will be replacing my 1919 in case. But, it is kinda purty, no?

proxy.php

proxy.php

A little less delicate, but only made in 1930 ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not a bad brush either, huh?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow, great stuff! What is engraved near the bottom of the second razor? (Is that a Tuckaway?)

Nope. It is a New DeLuxe Norfolk. It has the Tuckaway type handle and carries a serial number (120757) which only the New DeLuxe's had of all the New's. The last New Deluxe's were made before February 1, 1931.

proxy.php

Kinda purty - yes!

This proves the line from the Indiana Jones movie: "It's not the years, it's the miles."

AG, your set is absolutely gorgeous! Nice to see a pair of these sets rescued from the wild.

The only cleaning I've done with this set is to soak it in vinegar and water overnight and wipe with a soft cloth. A splash of alcohol then I shaved with it. What did you clean/polish your set with?

Sorry for the blatant style copying - cool coincidence that we acquired our sets in the past few days.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Kinda purty - yes!

This proves the line from the Indiana Jones movie: "It's not the years, it's the miles."

AG, your set is absolutely gorgeous! Nice to see a pair of these sets rescued from the wild.

The only cleaning I've done with this set is to soak it in vinegar and water overnight and wipe with a soft cloth. A splash of alcohol then I shaved with it. What did you clean/polish your set with?

Sorry for the blatant style copying - cool coincidence that we acquired our sets in the past few days.

Thanks for sharing!

All I used was a little Goop hand cleaner. It is extremely mild and removes grease and grime, which was all both of these had.

Nope. It is a New DeLuxe Norfolk. It has the Tuckaway type handle and carries a serial number (120757) which only the New DeLuxe's had of all the New's. The last New Deluxe's were made before February 1, 1931.

Guido -

very nice acquisitions - I LOVE THAT BRUSH!

Also - I have a couple New DeLuxe Norfolks that have ##s - can you point me to a date chart so's I can locate these sweeties in time?

thank you - and not-so-incidentally: thank you for your scholarship & ongoing assistance to the B&B membership, me included (I shouldn't speak for B&B - but I will!)....

Great finds! I love those Norfolks! New Norfolk DeLuxe were only made for one year? Does that include the ones that came in Milady sets? I will have to check my serial numbers.

Great finds! I love those Norfolks! New Norfolk DeLuxe were only made for one year? Does that include the ones that came in Milady sets? I will have to check my serial numbers.

According to Krumholz (page 202), statements from Gillette supported the fact that no New DeLuxes were made after February 1, 1931. They first appeared in 1930. The DeLuxe was also the only New to carry a serial number. One could say that the Gillette serial number died with King Gillette himself. That's why the Norfolk sets after that date all had the short common bar handle and standard short toothed guard. Sadly, what I feel as the greatest razors ever made had perhaps the shortest regular production in the history of Gillette. :frown:

Also in Krumholz (pages 201-202), he mentions that some of the New DeLuxe Lady Gillettes were serial numbered while others were not.

Guido, that Rooney is awesome....

Admittedly, it is. I am trying to nail down when it is from. The box contains no bar coding or such and someone has mentioned that it looks like a 70's or 80's model. It's loft and feel is almost exactly the same as the brush below that I use and plan to keep. The Rooney would make a great soap brush, but would still be great for creams. I'll be looking to sell it eventually once I find out a little more about it.

proxy.php

According to Krumholz (page 202), statements from Gillette supported the fact that no New DeLuxes were made after February 1, 1931. They first appeared in 1930. The DeLuxe was also the only New to carry a serial number. One could say that the Gillette serial number died with King Gillette himself. That's why the Norfolk sets after that date all had the short common bar handle and standard short toothed guard. Sadly, what I feel as the greatest razors ever made had perhaps the shortest regular production in the history of Gillette. :frown:

Also in Krumholz (pages 201-202), he mentions that some of the New DeLuxe Lady Gillettes were serial numbered while others were not.

All of the NEWs with the flat bottomed heads are considered DeLuxe right? I will have to check mine to see if they all have serial numbers. I have a few Milady New DeLuxe and a Canadian Norfolk DeLuxe. Thanks for the information. I must have read right over it in Krumholz.

Great looking stuff, Guido! You determined that that is a Rooney brush and then found a correct box to go with it?

Rooney still sends the same small piece of paper with the cautions on it: don't boil, use light pressure, let dry in the open air, etc. It's nice how some things don't change. It's also nice the good things you can find hunting around in the state of Louisiana... :)

Great looking stuff, Guido! You determined that that is a Rooney brush and then found a correct box to go with it?

Rooney still sends the same small piece of paper with the cautions on it: don't boil, use light pressure, let dry in the open air, etc. It's nice how some things don't change. It's also nice the good things you can find hunting around in the state of Louisiana... :)

No, I found it in that box. And, I was actually making a Texas swing when I came across these.

All of the NEWs with the flat bottomed heads are considered DeLuxe right? I will have to check mine to see if they all have serial numbers. I have a few Milady New DeLuxe and a Canadian Norfolk DeLuxe. Thanks for the information. I must have read right over it in Krumholz.

Yup. Those would all be considered DeLuxes. As the DeLuxe is my all time favorite razor, I have definitely read that section in great detail. :cool:

Top Bottom